Author Topic: KRS Is 'Born Again'  (Read 56 times)

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
KRS Is 'Born Again'
« on: November 09, 2006, 03:49:08 PM »
From A Kenny Parker Interview ( Krs One's Brother & Boogie Down Production producer )
Robbie is the interviewer

Interesting....

Robbie: So did Kris really become a “Born Again” Christian?

Kenny Parker: For lack of a better term, I’m gonna say “Yeah”. But he’s a little more deeper than that. The thing with Kris is he’s forever evolving. He reads a lot and he evolves a lot, and when you catch him at a particular time, where he’s at at that time is what he’s gonna say, and then another year or two from now he might move on to something else. And he might be “Well, this is me now. I’m this”, and then you might say “What happened to that from two years ago? Oh, you’re contradictory. You know what? Get outta here”. From Criminal Minded to By All Means Necessary, to me that was a completely different vibe for him, for the most part.

But it was all hits, so people were just like “It’s all good”. Kris being contradictory - I think some people say that like it’s cool to boot A-Rod, like after a while you just say it and you just do it. But if you really look at it…to me, you know what’s contradictory? When you come out hardcore with a hoody on, and on your next album you have a suit on and you’re smoking a cigar. [laughs] To me, that’s contradictory. I can name a whole bunch of rappers that was crazy hardcore in ‘93, ‘94, and then by ‘96 they was “Dons” and they had jewelry on. But they get a pass for that, ’cause I guess no one looks at it like that. Even Tupac - to me, Tupac is the most contradictory artist of all time, because he was a lot of different things! He really was a revolutionary, a thug, a ladies man - he was all of those things. So he made all of those records. At one moment he’ll say “Keep Your Head Up” and the next moment he’s like “Fuck bitches! Get Money!”. He’s all over the place, but he gets a pass. Most people get a pass but KRS-One - that’s his curse. He is “Stop The Violence” and that’s it.

Source Beef:
From Source Magazine Article in '92

He was callin’ out names big time in there.

Yeah, there’s two things in that article that caused us a lotta problems. One is that Kris was like “You know what? I’m tired of everybody. I’m tired of X-Clan, I’m tired of Ice Cube, I’m tired of PRT!” I don’t remember what Poor Righteous Teachers did that pissed Kris off. X-Clan I remember, and Ice Cube - I can’t remember for the life of me what Poor Righteous Teachers did! [laughs] Everyone that he mentioned in that article at some point that year tried to step up, and we had to deal with them. Also the second part that was a big thing was when Kris said “I am hip-hop”. That is the biggest polarization of his audience…and I think that’s a big misconception, because Kris says “I’m hip-hop. I’m not doing hip-hop - I am hip-hop. We ALL are hip-hop. We’re writing hip-hop as it goes along. There’s no rules! It’s not like a basketball player in the NBA and you have rules that you follow in the game. The hip-hop game - we’re writing the rules as we go along - so we ALL are hip-hop! I’m hip-hop, you’re hip-hop. We’re not doing it - we ARE it.” Even in that article he said “It’s not just me. Treach is hip-hop too.” But no one heard that part. They just heard him say “I’m hip-hop and I’m the greatest of all time!” and people was just like “This dude has lost his mind”. The funny thing was, I heard Vinny from Naughty By Nature said he was mad at that statement, and Kris said Treach was hip-hop!

Source: Unkut.com
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:52:23 PM by QuietTruth »