Author Topic: Lil Wayne Says Hip-Hop Doesn't Need Jay-Z To Save It  (Read 232 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Lil Wayne Says Hip-Hop Doesn't Need Jay-Z To Save It
« on: December 05, 2006, 06:46:52 AM »
Lil Wayne once said he was the "best rapper alive since the best rapper retired."

Well, with Jay-Z — the man Weezy once called his favorite MC — out of retirement, Wayne said his stance has changed a bit. Lil Wayne has declared he's still the best — even if Hov is officially back on the playing field.

"I'm better than him," Wayne said in the new issue of Complex magazine, which features the Cash Money Millionaire on the cover with Travis Barker. "I'm 24 years old. ... I'm 13 years deep with five albums and 10 million records sold."

In the article, Wayne also had some disparaging words for the Clipse, Pharrell Williams and and Young Buck, and said he took issue with Jay rapping about being "hip-hop's savior."

"I don't like what he's saying about how he had to come back because hip-hop's dead and we need him," Wayne said. "What the f--- do you mean? If anything it's reborn, so he's probably having a problem with that. You left on a good note, and all of the artists were saying, 'Yo, this is Jay's house. He's the best.' Now he comes back and still thinks it's his house. ... It's not your house anymore, and I'm better than you."

Jay recently clarified stamping himself "hip-hop's savior" on Kingdom Come as a play on words. "When I say 'saving hip-hop,' I don't mean like I'm standing on a mountain saving hip-hop," he said. "I mean, hip-hop needs events, it needs certain things to happen at certain times, like a spark of energy. Like a [Dr.] Dre album or those moments in time that you look back on when Snoop Dogg first came out, it was like 800,000 [albums sold] in the first week. Those events are needed in hip-hop, and it just felt like it was too far in between.

"My album, I believe, is just going to do its part," he continued. "It's not single-handedly going to save hip-hop. No one can do that. I don't have those delusions of grandeur."

Looking at sales of Hova's latest opus, it looks like he's close to accomplishing his mission. He sold close to 700,000 copies in his first week, easily taking the #1 position.

On Monday (December 4), a video for the album's second single, "Lost Ones," debuted on "TRL." "I feel like a rock star," he said when MTV recently asked him what it feels like to be Jay-Z. "I'm happy to be back. I'm happy to be embraced by the people the way I am already. I'm anxious for people to hear the music I've got. I think you're going to enjoy it, and I'm feeling like a rock star right now. I'm feeling like I'm in the best shape of my life. Muhammad Hovie!"

Jay obviously felt especially great on Monday: He was celebrating his 37th birthday.

This report is provided by MTV News (MTV.com)
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com

GangstaBoogy

Re: Lil Wayne Says Hip-Hop Doesn't Need Jay-Z To Save It
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:54:33 AM »
lol what the fuck?!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 12:06:16 PM »
"I'm better than him," Wayne said in the new issue of Complex magazine, which features the Cash Money Millionaire on the cover with Travis Barker. "I'm 24 years old. ... I'm 13 years deep with five albums and 10 million records sold."
But jay-z got 10 albums out? and sold more than 10 million records sold.. and according to many people that would make him the best..

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 01:55:18 PM »
'Best Rapper Alive since the best rapper retired'

???

Did he not say that? Hmm.

wcsoldier

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:00:42 PM »
There are tons of rappers better than Wayne and Jay ain't saving shit with this wack album..

Doc_Dolla

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
to me they sound the same but wayne go harder and  has that younger vibe and a lil  closer to younger people in the hood now a dayz

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 02:22:27 PM »
There are tons of rappers better than Wayne and Jay ain't saving shit with this wack album..
co-sign

macknlatin36

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 02:51:06 PM »
'Best Rapper Alive since the best rapper retired'

???

Did he not say that? Hmm.
lol nice

israelihiphop

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »
didn't Nas say hip hop is dead, not Jay-z...this nigga Weezie on crack

da flayboyant 2

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 03:52:53 PM »
fuck jay-z.

The KAIN Factor

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 03:57:23 PM »
Lil' Wayne gonna give him the kiss of death  :D

Dipset Bitch

The KAIN Factor

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 03:59:36 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y-8quIoD738&amp;autoplay=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Y-8quIoD738&amp;autoplay=0</a>

Get mad  8)

Sanford - V. President of the Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The movement is Suckaa Free.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »

Pick up 2 gats like Riley with a full 16 clip, on some sick shit like Lynch, while rippin a bitch's clit with beyonce's mouth on the tip of my dick.

Dangerous Crew Beeyatch!

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 04:21:39 PM »
lol how can lil wayne honestly think hes the best rapper alive? I mean dude is nice but hes not the best rapper alive,far from it..

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24