Author Topic: Nas sells 355.000 and debuts at number 1 !  (Read 508 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Nas sells 355.000 and debuts at number 1 !
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »
Nas scores his third No. 1 on The Billboard 200 this week with his eighth studio set, "Hip Hop Is Dead." The Def Jam effort moved 355,000 copies last week in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The rapper's last effort, "Street's Disciple," peaked at No. 5 on the chart. Nas' two other sets to take the summit were 1999's "I Am... The Autobiography" and 1996's "It Was Written."

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Nas sells 355.000 and debuts at number 1 !
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:40:15 AM »
I think Def Jam is buying up units again.  I haven't heard this CD yet, but I've heard only good things.  But that's not the point, because we've seen plenty of tight albums sell jack shit.  Let's face the facts, Nas hasn't been selling well his last few albums.  Even though its a tight CD, do you really think that 350,000 people went out the week before Christmas to buy this shit?  That means that he's gotta have a lot of these little bandwagon mainstream fans that just buy everything.  I really don't believe it.  I also don't believe that Young Jeezy sold 300K the first week.  Are you telling me that Nas and Jeezy can move more units that Snoop?  Snoop is a household name.  I don't buy it.  I'd believe these numbers easily a couple years ago, but the way shit is selling now, there's no way.

Raphael

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:41:20 AM »
im surprised ..good for him tho

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 10:46:48 AM »
Are you telling me that Nas and Jeezy can move more units that Snoop?  Snoop is a household name.  I don't buy it.  I'd believe these numbers easily a couple years ago, but the way shit is selling now, there's no way.

where have you been the past two years? Everyone knows who Jeezy is...every dealer in the world knows who Jeezy is and thye love his music (I personally don't)

and Nas...everyone in New York knows Nas..fuck everyone knows Nas...not to mention he releases an album before christmas time..plus his cd is pretty cheap to buy at best buy = good first week numbers.....350k aint fuckin amazing..but still good
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

da pink panther

• 'G'
  • capo status
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 10:50:31 AM »
lol at ur screename   es el dookie hahahahaa

Bomb-A®

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 10:51:42 AM »

where have you been the past two years? Everyone knows who Jeezy is...every dealer in the world knows who Jeezy is and thye love his music (I personally don't)

and Nas...everyone in New York knows Nas..fuck everyone knows Nas...not to mention he releases an album before christmas time..plus his cd is pretty cheap to buy at best buy = good first week numbers.....350k aint fuckin amazing..but still good

i dont know who jeezy is....i'm pretty sure outside america snoop is more popular than nas

peace

Bomb-A®

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 10:52:50 AM »
good for nas btw....he deserves it....too bad he had to sign to def jam to reach those numbers

peace

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 11:11:04 AM »
Actually Nas had similar sales when he released Stillmatic in 2001 a week before Christmas he sold like 342k...If you look at this weeks top 10 everybody sold over 200k its the biggest sales week of the year...

d-nice

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 11:15:11 AM »
Yeah the week before Christmas is always huge. I am surprised Jay did not decide to drop that week.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 11:16:23 AM »
That's good to hear
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

BulgarianRapper

• Lil Geezy
  • Бира.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 11:28:33 AM »
Jay-Z sell more than Nas... damn.
Nas is better, but the advertising wasn't good, I think. The single wasn't a single, that would have a good rotation on TVs & radios. The CD wasn't in-stores here (in Bulgaria, but The Blue Carpet Treatment was).
& more, & more, & more...

da pink panther

• 'G'
  • capo status
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 11:30:59 AM »
yo bulgarian yall got dat bomb ass goat cheeese huh

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 01:38:15 PM »
i hope it's real....

in the eys of the non west coast music fan public, you got one snoop record you got 'em all, so while snoop is more of a household name than Nas, more people are gonna buy a controversially titled (Hip Hop is Dead is a brilliant marketing strateg/idea period) Nas album than anohter album with snoop's big ass face on it.
though i wish snoop sold like that. iit'd be tight.
-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 01:58:41 PM »
yo bulgarian yall got dat bomb ass goat cheeese huh
yeah, we got a lot of it
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Narrator

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 02:10:04 PM »
Let's face the facts, Nas hasn't been selling well his last few albums. 

What are you talking about?  Every album Nas has released (including his last few) has gone Platinum.  Nas has long ago joined the ranks of MCs who are reliably profitable.  As far as Jeezy goes, it sounds odd, but notice how "I Luv It" jumped pretty quickly into the Top 20 when it was released.  Also, if you live in the South, you'll hear Jeezy's shit being bumped everywhere.  For now at least, he has enough fans that it's not too surprising to see him do those kinds of numbers.

As far as Snoop goes, it is kinda unusual "TBCT" is selling kinda slowly, but then again, remember that "Drop It Like It's Hot" was one of 2004's biggest hits, yet even so, "R&G" still didn't sell any better than most of Snoop's records.  Part of the problem I think is that while Snoop has lots of fans, they're still West Coast cats for the most part, and the West is not nearly as supportive of its artists as the East and the South.