Author Topic: Nas sells 355.000 and debuts at number 1 !  (Read 507 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Nas sells 355.000 and debuts at number 1 !
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 02:39:58 PM »
Are you telling me that Nas and Jeezy can move more units that Snoop?  Snoop is a household name.  I don't buy it.  I'd believe these numbers easily a couple years ago, but the way shit is selling now, there's no way.

and Nas...everyone in New York knows Nas..fuck everyone knows Nas...not to mention he releases an album before christmas time..plus his cd is pretty cheap to buy at best buy = good first week numbers.....350k aint fuckin amazing..but still good

yeah, it's like 9 bucks at target (first week of release) but even if it's not on sale, it's NAS , people respect him on the west coast and people worship him on the eastcoast. plus his album is pretty solid so that's going to spark some people to buy it.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 02:53:07 PM »
Let's face the facts, Nas hasn't been selling well his last few albums. 

What are you talking about?  Every album Nas has released (including his last few) has gone Platinum.  Nas has long ago joined the ranks of MCs who are reliably profitable.  As far as Jeezy goes, it sounds odd, but notice how "I Luv It" jumped pretty quickly into the Top 20 when it was released.  Also, if you live in the South, you'll hear Jeezy's shit being bumped everywhere.  For now at least, he has enough fans that it's not too surprising to see him do those kinds of numbers.

As far as Snoop goes, it is kinda unusual "TBCT" is selling kinda slowly, but then again, remember that "Drop It Like It's Hot" was one of 2004's biggest hits, yet even so, "R&G" still didn't sell any better than most of Snoop's records.  Part of the problem I think is that while Snoop has lots of fans, they're still West Coast cats for the most part, and the West is not nearly as supportive of its artists as the East and the South.

Cause we're broke out here on the west homey! fuckin' air is expensive out here! But they tell me it's cause there's so much THC in it.  ;)

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Sikotic™

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »
How many did Jigga buy this week?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »
damn that's good shit for nas
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

WestCoasta

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 03:26:55 PM »

he's really diggin into that bank account

Sikotic™

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »

he's really diggin into that bank account
lol

but on a serious note, congrats to Nas. The album is dope.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 04:26:52 PM »
Congrat's to Nas...

carry on tradition...

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 05:34:58 PM »
Are you telling me that Nas and Jeezy can move more units that Snoop?  Snoop is a household name.  I don't buy it.  I'd believe these numbers easily a couple years ago, but the way shit is selling now, there's no way.

where have you been the past two years? Everyone knows who Jeezy is...every dealer in the world knows who Jeezy is and thye love his music (I personally don't)

and Nas...everyone in New York knows Nas..fuck everyone knows Nas...not to mention he releases an album before christmas time..plus his cd is pretty cheap to buy at best buy = good first week numbers.....350k aint fuckin amazing..but still good
Every dealer knows Jeezy, so what?  How many drug dealers are there period, and then of the drug dealing population, how many are gonna go out and support an artist the first week?  300,000 copies is gonna include a great majority of people that aren't "in the know" of hip hop.  Same goes for Nas.  EVERY even casual rap fan knows who Nas is, but is he really that big of a figure in the mainstream to do these kinds of numbers in his first week?  I hadn't seen the sales chart for this week when I first replied in this thread, it looks like everything was way inflated cuz of Christmas, so maybe this is why the numbers are what they are.  But on a regular week, in THIS climate of CD sales, I couldn't see either of them moving more than 100-150K.  Also, Snoop's CD was 9.99 at Best Buy the first week too, so I doubt that prices had anything to do with it.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »
good to hear this

Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 12:24:18 AM »
I think he meant CD stores, like places that put in the orders for shipments of records. Like if they know Nas by name they'll know to order a gang of Nas' record= high sales first week. It counts how many CDs the dealer buys not the individual.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

WestCoasta

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 01:07:19 AM »
Every dealer knows Jeezy, so what?  How many drug dealers are there period, and then of the drug dealing population, how many are gonna go out and support an artist the first week?

hah good point

Chief

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2006, 06:41:30 AM »
Every dealer knows Jeezy, so what?  How many drug dealers are there period, and then of the drug dealing population, how many are gonna go out and support an artist the first week?

LOL wtf are people talking about drug dealers for? LOL

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 08:19:29 AM »
^^lol i was tryin to make a point...since Jeezy is the role model to every new coke mule out there...there's a lot of idiots that love his music.

Anywayz...I pretty sure his numbers will fall next week to under 100K
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Dj Eskimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • <iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamer
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 08:45:53 AM »
im really suprised by them numbers, thats more than i expected but as someone said a lot of people know Nas, i work at a small HMV and we got about 50copies of the album, thats quite a lot for a hiphop artist, we only got 30 copies of the games album and about 50 of snoops...

props to Nas for making a solid album still.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamertaghere.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>
http://www.myspace.com

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2006, 10:29:26 AM »
record sales go down every year so 355k when you think about it is more like 500k would've been just a few years ago...Game, Jeezy and Nas all sold around the same 1st week, there is no way Jay-z sold 680k when in his peak he usually sold 450-550k...