Author Topic: South Central artist Dubb  (Read 50 times)

thisoneguy360

South Central artist Dubb
« on: December 28, 2006, 10:04:31 PM »
"Underestimated"
by Angelo Aratan

Good old Los Angeles… Take a second and breathe L.A. As I drive through the 110-South, passing under the skyscrapers that makes L.A. the landscape it is, I pop in the Black Wall Street Journal Volume 1. Skim through the tracks and hit the song called "Cypha" and banged it out the car. While exiting the off-ramp in South Central, I catch the last sixteen of the rap and can't help but drop my jaw off the dude's lyrical content. Rocky remake? Whatever… do a punch line movie on Dubb.

Born April 21, 1987, nineteen year old Quincy White, better known as "Dubb" is certainly the young man amongst young men. Recently, he worked on The Black Wall Street Journal Volume 1 mixtape and is well known for his end all of all end all verses on the track called the Cypha featuring Game, Ya Boy, Juice, K-Dot and Jay Rock. But who is Dubb and why is his career on the move?

AA: So rapping is the business? When did you start?

Dubb: I started rapping when I was 16 years old. The homie and I used to hook up the karaoke machine and put on some rap track on the tape deck and just spat about anything we could think of. The fucked up part is that if you fuck up on your freestyle… then you gotta start that shit all over again, we didn't have iPods and shit like that then.

Check the vid on his page
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=82410596

Dubb: As far as a business though… rapping is really just my skill, rappers who make it their business, lose their passion, but me, I make it my passion and it becomes a business second. If I can turn it into a business, then why not, there's no point in Lebron having all that talent but just waste it on the street like that, right? It's the same with me.

AA: I feel you, no progress without passion, but how did you know that rapping was the thing to pursue?

Dubb: When I was in High School, before I got on the tracks, I was way into basketball, and that was my passion. It still is, but a dude like me won't go big with that, and I used to be shooting J's wherever they put me. I'm telling you I was good, (Points at the mantle filled with trophies) but I just don't got that bulk the Pros do. After I dropped the basketball and picked up the microphone... something in me or some greater power told me that this was… wait… scratch that… it HAS to be what I was intended to do.

AA: Why do you do what you do? Money? Fame? Girls?

Dubb: haha… that's what most people think…

(long pause)

Dubb: On some real man to man shit… person to person… human being to human being type of shit… I'll tell you why I'm doing music… First off, look at the place I live in, its gutter… this was my Grandmother's place until she passed away… God bless her soul. She gave this to my family so that my siblings and I could have a place to live in… What does that mean? That means I used to not live in a house my dude… Picture being stuck in a van going to Middle School… talk about struggle? That's what I had to live through… I use to live in motels, in cars whatever for nineteen years of my life my dude! I am not going to live like this and nor am I going to continue to live like this you feel me? I know a lot of people that go through the day to day shit I've gone through, it definitely isn't the place to be. My pops on retirement and the mortgage is a one thousand plus, you wonder why I ain't sling crack or pass pills to the next druggie that comes along my way to make that payment? It's because that ain't me, my gift, my talent, my skill goes into the heart of my music. My struggle, my anger, my happiness is in the heart of my music. These words I'm saying to you… I wish the readers can feel me my dude... Man, I breakdown sometimes when the homies go home… when there aint nobody on the sidekick… and im stuck in this little ass room just thinking of shit by myself. I look at my younger brother and think like, youngin' you deserve more than this… I look at my pops and I think, it's time for you to relax old man, I got this… This is real spit you know… I call my road dogg LoPro and I be like on some life and death type of talk. Either go big or bust type of thing. LoPro keep me sane homie, real spit. I make jokes here and there and give a smile, but that's because I don't want to let no one know I'm depressed inside, and how shit is tearing me up. Think about it, and just picture my life in your head… this is what makes me Quincy, not Dubb… feel me as Quincy White my dude, not a west coast rapper, not the new dude on the scene… you gotta feel me as a human being and what nineteen years of pure hard struggle shit does to a person, I'm surprised I ain't dead or in jail.

AA: I don't even have any words.

Dubb: Good so let me continue (haha). I ain't trying to live paycheck to paycheck neither… I definitely do not want to grow old and grey to live with a wifey for the rest of my life. I'm trying to get off my ass, and bless my family with whatever comes about out of this rap thing. Fame? Money? Bitches? My dude, money can't bring my grandmother back, I could throw God a million dollars and she ain't coming back… So what do I have to do? Only thing I can do, make her proud by taking care of her children.

AA: That's some real spit.

Dubb: Yeah but I ain't really tripping about that right now, usually after I think it through and pick myself back up, I just get stronger and angrier and it comes out on the music. On the "Cypha" I was angry as a motherfucker… and there you have it homie, dudes was going "OHHHH" like they was watching an And 1 mixtape.

AA: That's for damn sure…can't wait for that mixtape, South Centrals Own… this was just a quick intro of who you are… want to close it up with anything?

Dubb: It's Hoodz Finezt til the death, and be sure to get that mixtape… I know yall waiting and I love my fans for that… but im just trying to get it perfect so it will be a certified classic on the streets. One.