Author Topic: Beckham Joins LA Galaxy in £128m ($250m) 5 Year Deal  (Read 1008 times)

Digital Pimpin'

Beckham Joins LA Galaxy in £128m ($250m) 5 Year Deal
« on: January 11, 2007, 07:41:25 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm

Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy move 

Beckham will leave Real Madrid after four seasons
David Beckham will leave Real Madrid and join Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy at the end of the season.
The 31-year-old former England captain will sign a five-year deal, reportedly worth £128m.

Beckham said: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding their offer to extend my contract.

"After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy."

In a statement, Beckham continued: "I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make.

I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football

David Beckham

"I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own.

"For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100% to my coach, team-mates and fans as I believe Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve."

Beckham left Manchester United in July 2003 to sign for Real, who paid £25m for the midfielder's services.

However, in the three-and-a-half seasons since his arrival, the Spanish giants have failed to win any silverware.

This season has proved particularly disappointing for Beckham, who was dropped by England coach Steve McClaren and struggled to win a place in Real's first team.

LA Galaxy admitted their interest in signing Beckham in November, when general manager Alexi Lalas told the BBC Sport website of his admiration for the former England captain.

How the BBC Sport website broke the news in November

In an exclusive interview, Lalas said: "The Los Angeles Galaxy are looked upon as the jewel of Major League Soccer.

"We play in the best stadium we have had incredible success over the history of the league, we have had great individual players and great teams. There's a tradition of excellence.

"All of this leads to this race to become the first MLS super club, if you will.

"It is something we aspire to and in order to do that you have to have quality players, a direction and a passion, a good coach and you have to get credibility domestically and internationally.

"Signing players of Beckham's stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America."

Landon Donovan, Galaxy's star player, said Beckham's arrival would be a huge boost to MLS.

"I think it's hard to quantify what David Beckham being here would mean," he said.

"Marketing-wise it's a dream come true and it's not a 35, 36-year-old washed-up guy.

"It's a guy who can still play and a guy who still has a lot of appeal, probably the most famous soccer player in the world."

wardy

Beckham signs a pay day
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:42:51 AM »
David Beckham will move to La Galaxy in the summer for a pay day worth up to $250,000,000 over 5 years  (pound sterling thats £28m a year)

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
Re: Beckham Joins LA Galaxy in £128m ($250m) 5 Year Deal
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:06:34 AM »
The 31-year-old former England captain will sign a five-year deal, reportedly worth £128m

That is fucking crazy....

I thought salaries in the MLS were capped ?

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Beckham signs a pay day
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:06:55 AM »
David Beckham will move to La Galaxy in the summer for a pay day worth up to $250,000,000 over 5 years  (pound sterling thats £28m a year)

wow, big salary !

kemizt

Intriago33

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:15:21 AM »
They recently made a new rule, where each club can sign one player over the cap..

Anyways, good decision from Beckham, I would of done exactly the same in his shoes.

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 08:20:06 AM »
ah i c!

I wonder why that rule was implemented  :whistle:

Its clear this is an American media move!

Although he would to be crazy to turn down that kinda money, even tho he doesnt need it.

Intriago33

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 08:22:57 AM »
Sky Sports News: "..almost 500,000 a week"!!

Intriago33

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 08:24:33 AM »
David's not just thinking about on the field, but getting his coaching school underway, and obviously the thought of where he wants to live after he retires.. he's one lucky man. A great coup for the American game.

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Beckham signs a pay day
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 08:46:12 AM »
That is a ridiculous salary for a 31 year old football player

So at 31 the merchandising machine will become the highest paid football player in the world, can't believe that wage  :o :o
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:50:54 AM by TheDeli »

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 08:51:35 AM »
That is a ridiculous salary for a 31 year old football player

So at 31 the merchandising machine will become the highest paid football player in the world, can't believe that wage  :o :o

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 09:01:57 AM »
that's fucking unreal
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:33:28 AM »
Faggot ass beckham going to America. At least he's outta Europe now.

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »
a boost to the popularity of soccer in america maybe.

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 10:58:41 AM »

Someone like Ronaldinho will make a boost, beckham is just a shame to football.

Intriago33

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »

Someone like Ronaldinho will make a boost, beckham is just a shame to football.

.. explain.

They worked it out to Beckham earning £50 a damn minute  :o