Author Topic: DPG to the 90's as PFUNK to the 70's  (Read 60 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
DPG to the 90's as PFUNK to the 70's
« on: January 17, 2007, 11:02:24 AM »
I've often thought of west coast rap as just a natural extension of the funk of the 70's considering much of it uses George Clinton, Isleys, Zapp and the Gap band and all kinds of 70's cats live as well as samples and it often feels like the same community of people over the decades  (jelly roll, QDIII other examples) whereas east coast rap is what could be defined as hip hop (Kurupt and snoop's albums have alot more in common with a Nate dogg album then say a KRS one album and you can't really say a Nate album is a rap album any more than you can say a rap star guest filled Mariah carey album is a rap album) or an actual separate genre.

I've been thinking lately, DPG is a very vague term for a large loose conglomerate of associated funk and rap artists that do their thang all over Cali since the early 90's and will have a funky impact on WC rap for years to come. i kind of think of them as the parliament of the 90's. parliament, funkadelic, p funk, clinton's solo records etc. all use roughly the same cats with an ever revolving cast because life is always in motion.

I thought this also while watching the LMR video, dre superimposing his face on the mother ship or the dre day vid with the funkadelic shirt. it's a beautiful thing and it's the reason I like WC rap, not just quality hip hop but funky melodic music.

man, i was smoking with some chick friends the other day and they were saying that DPG is more head bobbing smoking music and not good for the club but what DPG shit doesn't knock in the club when given a chance? They were saying shit like "it just doesn't have that club feel" I feel it's like it has a perfectly legitimate club feel you're just not used to that shit getting play anymore since the 90's....bah, just venting cause to me it's like, the rap i listen to alot, DPG/Mac dre....is the only shit i'd really want to get down to at a club, well that shit and some 70's funk and because that's not the shit being played I won't have a good time at the club.

we, dubcc, should rent a club in LA for a party for a weekend and just knock that funky shit all night while pullin' on mad blunts, no?

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: DPG to the 90's as PFUNK to the 70's
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
we, dubcc, should rent a club in LA for a party for a weekend and just knock that funky shit all night while pullin' on mad blunts, no?

Yes, send me a ticket and make sure you have a copy of Can't C Me OG in CD quality so the DJ can bump that.

But seriously, lots of funk influenced rap records would get played at certain clubs around here in the mid 90's. I remember when Quik's Safe + Sound had just dropped and everytime the DJ put on Get At Me the crowd would go wild and I'm sure 70% of those people did not know who Quik was. Damn I miss those days...

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: DPG to the 90's as PFUNK to the 70's
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 11:17:58 AM »
damn, i need to cop safe and sound again. my copy is literally in the chambers of my cd player. fell into the box of the machine. i'd have to disassemble it to retrieve it. the local indie record shop is selling it for 11.99, gonna cop it next time I think.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram