Author Topic: "Thief's Theme" vs. "Hip Hop is Dead"  (Read 1473 times)

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
Re: "Thief's Theme" vs. "Hip Hop is Dead"
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 07:13:47 PM »
"Hip hop is dead" for me is better. For some reason i'd always skip "Thief's theme" but i def. enjoy the WillIam produced track. The lyrics are definitely way sicker in the new one, too
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

rik

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 06:41:19 PM »
I like Hip Hop is dead better. I think they did a better job with the beat on that one.

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 11:05:10 PM »
Quote from: Detox is not not coming... on January 24, 2007, 04:20:20 PM
Production and lyrically wise I like Hip Hop Is Dead better. The overall sound is better.

co-sign.  Theives Theme was nice but the way the same sample was flipped in HHID along with the chorus and the crowd at the end makes it take the cake.
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 11:51:51 AM »
at first i woulda said theifs theme.... but now i like Hiphop is dead better

bez

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »
Yo I'm hot like 95 farenheit,
On a summer night, tight spot where bodies rot,
Rats drink, from water drops in the street niggaz,

Easy!

Elevz

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 03:13:41 PM »
Will-I-Am's production on HHID just really fucks the sample up in a bad way. HHID lacks everything that made Thiefs Theme into what it is. Lesser production, lesser lyrics, lesser atmosphere. HHID was just watery, while Thiefs Theme is... hot like 95 fahrenheit on a summer night, indeed.

d-nice

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 03:29:35 PM »
Theifs Theme. That song was easily my fav off of Streets Disciple. That shit is gutta as fuck.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 05:21:49 PM »
We all know Nas flipped the same sample as his first single on the last 2 albums. I thought "Thief's Theme" was darker, and alot more grimey, but "HHID" has more meaningful lyrics, especially the last verse "Everybody sounds the same/commercialize the game/reminise on when it wasn't just business..." "Hip Hop is Dead" thumps better in the whip too I feel. s

What's everyone elses thoughts?

Nice thread.. props.

It's exactly like you said, I co-sign to your origional post.  "Thief's Theme" is grimey, you got to love that.  It's one of Nas' most grimey records and definitely his darkest video.  "Hip-Hop Is Dead" is kind of an updated and glamorized version musically, and lyrically, the subject matter is a statement to the current climate of hip-hop.  Hip-Hop is Dead is my motto for the new year. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
HHID but Thief's theme was dope also

i used to like Thief's theme more, but i just listened to HHID again and changed my mind; it's more powerful  8)

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
Thiefs Theme by miles. It has that straight 90's era east coast underground feel to it and is the better fit for a rapper like Nas. I didnt appreciate that rock n roll club bullshit feel Will.I.Am brought. Nas' main problem is him going away from that east coast sound for that commercial crap that he be messing with nowadays. Hopefully, from the way the new album sounds, He'll slowly go back to that original darker sound that hes supposed to be rockin over. 
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Invincible

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2008, 08:41:22 PM »
Thiefs Theme by miles. It has that straight 90's era east coast underground feel to it and is the better fit for a rapper like Nas. I didnt appreciate that rock n roll club bullshit feel Will.I.Am brought. Nas' main problem is him going away from that east coast sound for that commercial crap that he be messing with nowadays.

Couldn't put it better myself. But it is also due to the fact that I hate everything that Will-I-Am does. I don't understand why rappers are going to hm for beats.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 11:32:05 AM »
too close to say. def depends on my mood too..

The Best of 3 Worlds

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »
Thiefs Theme by miles. It has that straight 90's era east coast underground feel to it and is the better fit for a rapper like Nas. I didnt appreciate that rock n roll club bullshit feel Will.I.Am brought. Nas' main problem is him going away from that east coast sound for that commercial crap that he be messing with nowadays.

Couldn't put it better myself. But it is also due to the fact that I hate everything that Will-I-Am does. I don't understand why rappers are going to hm for beats.

Agreed. I hate Will.I.Am too and find it funny that Nas went to that sellout to do a beat for a song called Hip Hop Is Dead.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

corner_boy

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offroad
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2008, 03:27:46 PM »
I think they're both great songs, and eventhough they flipped the same sample it came off really different.  Theifs Theme is dope because it's so dark sounding, and like Bananas said, the hook is great and def primo-ish.  A vintage Nas track.

On HHID, the guitar pops off crazy, and I love the live drums.  And I think the theme behind the song is much better than Theif's Theme.  I also love the simulated live swing the song gets into at the end with the crowd chants and Nas rapping only over the drum beat with no melody.  I think they managed to make what is categorized as radio friendly, yet it still delivered the best message of any mainstream song this year, and it still came off dope musically.  That's a pretty tall order and Nas & Will delivered. 

I prefer HHID.

I couldnt have put it better myself, BUT im into that nighttime vibe, so Thief's theme

Blood$

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
can't really choose between the two, they are completely different in their own ways