Author Topic: dre production styles  (Read 563 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
dre production styles
« on: January 28, 2007, 04:36:16 AM »
I like the shit he was doing in the 96-99 era more than 2000-2002.....for example I like Nas is coming and ask yourself a question alot more than say put it on me and lookin' at you(warren g)....put it on me and lookin are elizondo co produced right? anyone know who he was working with on nas is coming and ask yourself? I like the sound of the bass guitar and cool electronic piano and guitars on those cuts as opposed to the synth string stabs of lookin at you, put it on me and frankly a grip more of his beats.

i think the synth string version that he cultivated in the early 2000's was a more commercially viable way for him to improve on that clean live smooth feel of the ask yourself/nas is coming type shit. both styles are similar but i prefer it done with bass guitar,electric guitar, and electric piano rather than synth strings layered over piano. synth strings are always pretty ugh to me. I see what dre's trying to do with them, it gets almost experimental on tracks like 'get low' and 'hustlers' but it's not as funky as the more organic instruments I've seen him fuck with.

anyone know about the collaborators? any thoughts?

also, I know storch,mel-man, warren g, all the dpg/dogghouse producers are people who've learned from dre and have gone on to produce without dre dopely...can anyone name others for example mark batson,elizondo, colin wolfe etc....didn't batson do hold down the block on nas' new joint or some other one that ain't one of the tightest ones?

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

MIAMI4LIFE

Re: dre production styles
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:00:09 AM »
I think the beat for Hennessey N Buddah is the dopest Dre beat he did in the 2000 era and that was co-produced by Elizondo I think, I think he was working with Melman exclusively in the 96-99 he probably copruduced alot of the beats you are talking about

Blu Lacez

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 07:28:08 AM »
Well I think different ppel give you certain vibe..and this will also have an effect on the type of instruments one would use on a track..

Nowadays..alof of pple are making beats that are similar to Dre's style..
So i think inmho, that he is probably Tryna change his approach to music..and see where that can lead him to..

Does Mel-Man play any instruments??

Mel-Man is tight..i think he made a beat for Busta Rhymes (Genises Album)
I think it's the track right after "Break Ya Neck" . Bounce (Let Me See Ya Throw It) http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B00005Q4PE001011/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_011/102-1032182-2290525

I think it's highly unlikely Dre will make another "G-Funk" beat..even if he were it wouldn't really be "G-Funk"..it will probably be something totaly different..

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 08:22:42 AM »
"the knoc" beat was crazy man, along with warren g's "lookin at you".

but i will give you this, ask yourself a question is a dope ass beat as well.

i think i love ALL dre ;D
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »
but man in all honesty, I like this current orchestrical sound Dre has been going for lately. With tracks like: "Outta Control REMIX", "Lost Ones", "Still Dre", "When It Rains It Pours", etc.
Opposed to ANYTHING else from either Chronics for the majority. I cant even listen to "The Chronic" anymore, I just feel ancient asshole old listening to it when I know I have more updated, crisper, cleaner funk compiled albums like: "Duecez N' Trayz", "Safe+Sound", "Take A Ride", excedra. Because as far as flipping funk samples and sounds: Daz, Battlecat and DJ Quik can get the job done much more funkier and fresher. (Even though those are just producer niche's. Dre is an overall better producer than Daz. The others are debatable in terms of skill. Not so much status haha.) This is why I appreciate the orchestrical sound, its Dre as an individual producer having a sound. DJ Quik has his own individual sound too, although heavily funk-inspired half the time. DAZ had an individual sound back during the RRGB, R.A.W, Dogg Food earlier days, he's still switching it up, but to me that is when he was defined as a heavyhitting ass westcoast producer. Bridging the gap between "Dre ---- Warren G", Daz would fit perfectly in the middle.

And for awhile though, there was no seperation between G-Funk and regular funk. G-Funk was thought to be "looped samples" for the majority. (See: "Let Me Ride - Dr. Dre", "Mothership Connection/Let Me Ride - Parliament".) OTHER PRODUCERS who adopted the heavily based funk sound, helped give G-Funk its own identity though. So its not just a completely looped Zapp song with some g'd up ass lyrics (See: South Central Cartel's "South Central Madness"). This is why I respect "Same Day Different Shit" more than I do any other Kurupt album production-wise. You know there is a funk INFLUENCE within the beats but there is no denying that that is an individual westcoast, G-Funk sound. I am from the south and I can tell this. (If that means anything to you haha) Its similar to a wu-tang album. How the producer, RZA samples anything funk, jazz, blues, etc but the end result is always something that cant be DEFINED AS ANYTHING OTHER than RAP/HIPHOP. The guy chopped up a sample to "More Bounce to The Ounce" for "Method Man", but you would have never known that shit haha.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 02:35:30 PM »
I wasn't really talking about G funk but for the record

a)Hen n Buddah was a deliberate throwback to doggystyle(as well as 'the wash' being a deliberate throwback to the chronic
b) I do not feel that the chronic is just looped funk samples. Dre really tightens up ALOT of the compositions he samples: g thang sounds more tightly orchestrated than 'i wanna do' from l.hayward and let me ride is more tightly composed than 'mothership' and there's nothing on those newer fresher g funk albums (while dope) that is fucking with the level of rap songs like stranded on dr and lyrical gangbang...to me, those are timless hip hop and the chronic is still loved by my cd player, but that's cool.

b)you guys think mel-man was involved in ask yourself and nas is coming? that's coo

c)yeah, I agree that his synth string experiments are an attempt to distinguish himself from all the biters.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

PICA$$O

• Lil Geezy
  • The Best of the Best
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 02:56:49 PM »
I think the beat for Hennessey N Buddah is the dopest Dre beat he did in the 2000 era and that was co-produced by Elizondo
word up, Hennesey & Buddah was the dopest pretty much, i like Lay Low, they got the same vibe I think
Dont HATE
And you wont be HATED
!   !   !   !   !   !   !   !   !

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 02:58:21 PM »
I think the beat for Hennessey N Buddah is the dopest Dre beat he did in the 2000 era and that was co-produced by Elizondo
word up, Hennesey & Buddah was the dopest pretty much, i like Lay Low, they got the same vibe I think

yep intentional throwbacks.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 05:54:30 PM »
yeah I know you werent talking about g-funk originally. my bad lol, i was just about to blurt all of that out in someones topic about 'dre's production' eventually, this  just happened to come up to serve as my vessel lol. i also dont think dre just looped a bunch of funk samples there was more on the production tip than that, but when chronic/dre DID receieve hate that was usually the first thing brought it.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 07:21:02 PM »
word. I see what you're saying.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

JRiv

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 07:25:39 PM »
Also Xzibit's "X" was dope around 2000 (and still is) .

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 05:18:48 AM »
I think a lot of his late DR and early Aftermath stuff was co-produced with Sam Sneed. Listen to some Sam Sneed tracks and you can spot the similarity in style.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 05:24:34 AM »

-T

also his beats on No Limit Top Dogg were dope, Buckem, Bitch Please and Just Dippin

So Much Style

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 06:18:44 AM »

-T

those beats were all recorded during the Chronic 2001 recording period i recall....very tight beats. I think sam sneed, j-flexx, and a couple other less known producers like budd'ha were all involved in that 1996-1998 orchestra sound we hear on songs like "ghetto fabolous", "been there done that" etc... i think some of the newer tracks like "outta control rmx" are years ahead of game though...SICK

also his beats on No Limit Top Dogg were dope, Buckem, Bitch Please and Just Dippin
So much style back at it again

BIGG-A

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "DIPPIN AN WE ROLLIN... AND WE SMOKIN ON THAT GOOD
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 09:10:32 AM »
Also Xzibit's "X" was dope around 2000 (and still is) .

Hell yah....Forgot about this 1.
good lookin.
BIGG-A
         EMPIRE RECORDINGS
               WISCONSIN