Author Topic: Just give me 6 minutes of your time for some dope shit...  (Read 212 times)

jeromechickenbone

Just give me 6 minutes of your time for some dope shit...
« on: January 27, 2007, 10:39:25 PM »
Alright yall, I got something that I want you to hear and appreciate.  This is a joint that I really love.  Surprisingly enough, its from The Fat Boys.  Now hear me out on this without judging.  When most peeps hear that name, they associate them with nothing but a gimmick rap group of fat dudes with no real skills, as well as their movie "Disorderlies".  And sadly enough, in the latter part of their career, that would be an accurate description. 

They were originally known as "Disco 3" and could really craft some good music and were def some talented dudes.  However, when anybody spoke about Disco 3, they referred to them as "Oh, you mean those fat boys?" and their name was born.  But anyways, early on in their career they would make little jokes / references about their being fat, but they still did some dope music and this joint right here proves it.

The name of this song is "Jail House Rap" and is their best song, imo.  It's dope on several levels to me:  It's a dope storytelling song with a moral, it implements a great classical sample, it's a fantastic production by the legendary Kurtis Blow, it showcases the lost art of beatboxing, and it's structured but still a freeform 6:30 hip hop song with verses, chorus', and bridges.  Just pure genius.

Now I know that in todays "hip hop" age, we're conditioned to only have an attention span of 3 minutes for a hip hop song.  Well this one is over twice that long, so get comfortable and give this one a chance.

As I noted earlier, you can crank your shit because it's a super dope production.  Also, try and pay attention to the funny yet moral story this song tells.  But the highlight of the song occurs at around the 3:30 mark, where "The Human Beat Box" steps in and starts freakin it.  Beatboxing is pretty much extinct in todays "hip hop" and it fucking sucks because it is so dope.  But peep game on this dude, his beatboxing just fits so nicely in the song.

Anyway, thanks for reading all of that bullshit and check this song.  Please post some feedback as well.  Crank your shit up!!!!!!

"Jailhouse Rap" by The Fat Boys

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TQXZtRIw6_w" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TQXZtRIw6_w</a>

Jakubs

Re: Just give me 6 minutes of your time for some dope shit...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 11:12:04 PM »
Props for a dope video and song. The production is way ahead of its time. The dude beatboxin' is crazy too. A funny story, but a story nonetheless. Are you going to start your "Come Inside For Some Dope Hip Hop" threads again? That would be cool.
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

Smoke Break

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 11:16:07 PM »
I never knew who the fatboys were until "Disorderlies".  :-\
Thanks for posting that up, I fucking love that beat, I could listen to it for 7, maybe even 8 minutes. I like the track, but I just can't get passed the way they rap, only because I can't help but be reminded of this Christian rap cassette my mom got me when I was hella little; they rapped exactly  like that.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:12:40 AM »
Posts like this make me wanna check dubcc whenever I can.Props Jrome

Production on this song is unlike anything I've heard from that time (not that I've heard so much) and Fat Boys are just dope.I really liked that beatbox around 3:30 and the the beatbox at the end of the song was more that a perfect way to end it with the piano.Extremely dope old school stuff.

Props once again
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 05:15:58 AM »
this is some classic shit 8), props

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 10:14:14 AM »
You're fuckin' genius Jrome.

Now I know that in todays "hip hop" age, we're conditioned to only have an attention span of 3 minutes for a hip hop song.  Well this one is over twice that long, so get comfortable and give this one a chance.
Cuz there's an art form of Hip Hop that's dead.

Jrome, if I was a Pastor of a Hip Hop Church, I'd hire you to be in charge. 8)

I didn't listen to the video thru but I have seen it and I got the album and it's alll classic. I already gave you 29. 8) But I will prop ya again. Good shit!

everlast1986

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 10:20:06 AM »
props i've never seen a video for this before  8)

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 08:48:59 AM »
That was fuckin' dope and funny at the same time.. thats a great combination :)

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 10:01:20 PM »
Thanks for that feedback. 

Props for a dope video and song. The production is way ahead of its time. The dude beatboxin' is crazy too. A funny story, but a story nonetheless. Are you going to start your "Come Inside For Some Dope Hip Hop" threads again? That would be cool.

Yeah I'll still do them.  I don't want to be too consistent with it because I don't want it to get redundant and predictable.

I never knew who the fatboys were until "Disorderlies".  :-\
Thanks for posting that up, I fucking love that beat, I could listen to it for 7, maybe even 8 minutes. I like the track, but I just can't get passed the way they rap, only because I can't help but be reminded of this Christian rap cassette my mom got me when I was hella little; they rapped exactly  like that.

I know what you mean.  But keep in mind who they are and what they're going for on this song.  They're on time with their raps, they aren't lazy - they're riding the beat even if their cadance is very basic, they're still on time, they still rhyme, and there's TONS of substance to what they're saying.  Every verse is telling a story. 

Posts like this make me wanna check dubcc whenever I can.Props Jrome

Production on this song is unlike anything I've heard from that time (not that I've heard so much) and Fat Boys are just dope.I really liked that beatbox around 3:30 and the the beatbox at the end of the song was more that a perfect way to end it with the piano.Extremely dope old school stuff.

Props once again

Yeah the production is amazing.  You can attribute the genius of this song almost entirely to Kurtis Blow.  He pretty much wrote and produced the entire song for them.  But I REALLY love that beatboxing, and that was something that the Fat Boys were able to bring to the table themselves.  They weren't talentless by any means.

Jakubs

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 12:55:24 AM »
I don't think they'll ever get redundant. There's just too many tracks out there that not enough people know about. Besides, I'm sick of seeing all this other crap on the boards. Threads like "Ccccccccccccccuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssss" are annoying as hell. I wish there was more regulation on here, but you can't stop them, only hope to contain them.
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

kevlar

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 01:05:56 AM »
That whole first album was and still is the shit.  I wonder how many times "Stick 'Em" was sampled.
"jack of all trades
gotta get my chips
manipulate yo broad
put her up on craigs list"