Author Topic: The Official NHL Thread  (Read 71985 times)

sav

Re: The official NHL Thread
« Reply #1050 on: August 21, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »
Seems like Afinogenov will sign with the Habs... don't know if i'm happy or not if it happen.  :-\

sav

« Reply #1051 on: August 24, 2009, 08:53:32 PM »
New rumour : Alex Burrows against Tomas Plekanec. Plus Vancouver is looking to sign a defenseman, it may be Mathieu Schneider. BTW, he was fuckin' great for us last year, 17 pts in 23 games.  :o

Afinogenov confirmed that his dream is to play with the Habs, with his best friend Andrei Markov.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1052 on: August 24, 2009, 11:46:37 PM »
New rumour : Alex Burrows against Tomas Plekanec. Plus Vancouver is looking to sign a defenseman, it may be Mathieu Schneider. BTW, he was fuckin' great for us last year, 17 pts in 23 games.  :o

Afinogenov confirmed that his dream is to play with the Habs, with his best friend Andrei Markov.

where you getting this?

Afineganov no, plekanec for burrows yes

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1053 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »
Just heard on the radio that P Marleau refused a trade to Montreal that would of seen Heatley go to San Jose

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #1054 on: August 25, 2009, 09:51:58 AM »
Just heard on the radio that P Marleau refused a trade to Montreal that would of seen Heatley go to San Jose

Ugh...  You shouldn't be allowed to refuse a trade LOL.  Pisses me off.

Burrows is untouchable, he won't be traded from Van..

Afin....  I like him, if Montreal don't sign him, Van should!

Schneider would be a deal for any team looking for a good PP D-man!

Westcoastin'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Revenge is the sweetest joy next to gettin pussy
« Reply #1055 on: August 25, 2009, 11:12:20 AM »
No way is Burrows leaving, he just signed a bargain 4 year contract.   Schneider will be a good addition..  the paper this morning said it would be 1 year for about 1.5 mil.  Makes our top 6 D very solid:  Bieksa, Mitchell, Salo, Edler, Schnieder and OBrien

I wonder if they're trying to grab another Top 6 forward...  We dont have alot of Cap room, but we could easily spare Cory Schneider and 2 of the extra guys fighting for 2nd/3rd line duty

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Demitra  Wellwood  Kesler
Raymond Hodgson  Samuelsson (or Grabner, Hanson, Bernier)
Hordichuk  Johnson  Rypien
been rockin' longer than niggas twice my age
back in the days before Bob Marley was rockin' a fade
before Honest Abe signed the paper that freed slaves
before Neanderthals was drawing on walls in caves
I existed, in the garden of Eden gettin' lifted
stickin' dick to Eve before she was Adam's mistress
before Christ created Christmas, I been in lyrical fitness
the Canibus is spittin' til' he's spitless - Canibus

Jaydc555

« Reply #1056 on: August 25, 2009, 06:53:20 PM »
canucks should dump hordichuk and put bernier on the fourth line.Horduchuk is so one dimensional and al liabiliy on the ice.hanse will be a rotation and depth guy.Im curioius to see if grabner makes it out of camp.Im guessing sundin isnt coming back but who knows.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #1057 on: August 26, 2009, 02:22:14 AM »
I would really love to have Sundin, but they've signed too many people and have no room...

Sedin Sedin Samuelsson
Burrows Kesler Demitra
Raymond Wellwood Bernier
CoHo/Shirokov Johnson Rypien

Benched: Hordichuk, Hansen

PS: I guarantee that Gillis is saving Schneider for a mid-season trade.  With Luongo reports saying he wants to finish his career as a Canuck, there is no room for Cory anymore.  Gillis gonna assess what area needs improvement and he'll probably be part of the bargain.  (Grabner, Demitra (cuz I hate him) too?)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:29:16 AM by The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #1058 on: August 27, 2009, 10:09:13 AM »

Ottawa Senators coach Cory Clouston denied Wednesday that winger Dany Heatley's role diminished on his watch.

In a media availability at Scotiabank Place, Clouston suggested any moves he made were meant to help the team, not punish the player.

“As far as a diminished role, it was very slightly diminished and, in my opinion, it wasn’t diminished,” Clouston said. “It was to try and spread out the scoring, as it’s been printed on several occasions.

“Everybody knows (Heatley’s) production actually went up over the last while as well,” he added.

On Friday, Heatley told reporters that he requested a trade from the Senators in the spring because he was unhappy with his role on the team. It's believed a slight reduction in ice time and a demotion to the second power play unit were big factors in his decision.

Clouston said Heatley was always respectful in their meetings, during which both men spoke their minds and discussed what a bigger role meant.

“Basically we needed from Dany what we needed from everybody else,” Clouston explained. “Come into camp with the right frame of mind, be a team guy, work extremely hard and if those things were done then absolutely his ice time was not going to be diminished by any way, shape or form.”

Ottawa general manager Bryan Murray’s inability to swing a fair deal this summer means No. 15 could be just weeks away from a return to the nation’s capital.

Clouston said he’s preparing for that possibility. One issue Clouston wasn't ready to discuss was the status of Heatley's assistant captaincy, however.

“We’ll wait and see on that. Until we see the whites of his eyes in the dressing room, we’ll address it then.”

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #1059 on: August 27, 2009, 10:11:24 AM »

The Vancouver Canucks and goaltender Roberto Luongo are under a Sept. 13 deadline to agree to new contract terms. Luongo, who is attending Hockey Canada’s summer orientation camp for 2010 Olympic hopefuls, said he will not negotiate once the NHL team’s training camp begins at the University of British Columbia next month. He said he is unwilling to let his expiring contract become a daily distraction.

“We’re trying to get it done before camp,” Luongo said in Calgary yesterday. “If it doesn’t happen before camp, I will not be negotiating during the season. I don’t want to have that distraction.”

Yesterday, Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said a contract extension is not finished, but he is confident the sides will arrive at terms over the next 18 days.

“I’d prefer that we have it wrapped up [by camp],” Gillis said. “We’re all confident that we’re moving in the right direction.”

Gillis and Luongo denied reports yesterday that said the sides had agreed to a six-year pact worth $6.5-million (U.S.) a season. Luongo, 30, is entering the final year of his current deal, and is to earn $7.5-million.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #1060 on: August 27, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »

The Vancouver Canucks are preparing to find out if a 40- year-old defenceman can rehab a power play which has been mired in mediocrity for years.

As first reported by Sportsnet Monday afternoon, the Canucks are closing in on a deal with unrestricted free agent Mathieu Schneider, a rugged, but aged defenceman, who is coming off shoulder surgery and has more than two decades of NHL hockey on his odometer.

The Schneider deal was still pending late Monday, but a Canucks source did confirm the team's interest in him. And it's not hard to figure out why. While Schneider may be weathered, his game hasn't eroded. Not on the power play, anyway. And that, despite all the talk about the need for speed on the blue- line, was the Canucks biggest concern heading into the off-season.

The Canucks haven't finished higher than 15th in league power play rankings since 2002-03. In Alain Vigneault's three years in charge, the Canucks have finished 20th, 21st and finally 17th last year.

If the Canucks ink Schneider, and his shoulder is fine after undergoing arthroscopic surgery in May, they improve immediately. And dramatically.

Last season, after a trade deadline deal which sent Schneider from Atlanta to Montreal, the rejuvenated defenceman lit up the scoresheet. He breathed life into Montreal's power play, scoring five man-advantage goals and 14 points in the Habs final 23 games.

Schneider hurt his shoulder on April 4, with four games to go in the regular season. He later required surgery and probably shouldn't have played the two playoff games he started.

The Canucks blue-line isn't exactly a pillar of dependability. Willie Mitchell wore down late last year and Sami Salo's injury woes have been well documented.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #1061 on: August 27, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »

Edmonton was the one club that tried hard to swing a deal to land Ottawa's disgruntled Dany Heatley. Heatley wouldn't waive his no-trade clause to join the Oilers, however.

As you might imagine, that doesn't sit too well with Edmonton players such as center Shawn Horcoff, the Oilers' alternate captain.

"When you first hear about something like that, there's some excitement, because any time you can add a 50-goal scorer, it's going to help your team," Horcoff told FanHouse in a phone interview Tuesday. "But then the names of some of our players who would go over there started to come out, and the fact that (Heatley) elected not to come here.... That puts a sour taste in your mouth.

"The fact he didn't want to come here, that's unfortunate. It's frustrating to hear that a player doesn't want to come here."

The Oilers offered to Ottawa: forwards Andrew Cogliano and Dustin Penner and defenseman Ladislav Smid. Horcoff wasn't eager to see them depart, and he felt for them as the Heatley controversy dragged on.

"These are teammates you battle with every night," he said. "Their names are dragged through all this and they have to wait for a month to find out what's happening. It could have been handled better. It's frustrating for everyone involved. Nothing good has come out of it for anyone."

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #1062 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »

If Patrick Marleau is heartbroken over having the ‘C' ripped off his jersey, the San Jose Sharks centre has quite the poker face.

"Obviously, it's a great honour to be the captain," Marleau said softly Monday upon arriving in Calgary for the Team Canada Olympic orientation camp.

"Having a letter on my sweater or not is not really going to change who I am in the locker-room or what I do on the ice.

"If this is what we need to do to win, I'm all for it. We've had a really good team there in the past, and we haven't won it. Maybe this will be the thing that takes us over that hump."

The same goes for Joe Thornton and his feelings toward potentially seeing the ‘A' removed from his sweater.

In fact, Thorton figures the Sharks might start a new trend by changing up the official leadership in a quest to finally advance deep into the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Seriously.

"I think it might be innovative," Thornton said. "We can't get by the second round. Some teams aren't making the playoffs. Maybe they're going to change it, too."

Just last week, head coach Todd McLellan told the San Jose Mercury News the team's captaincy and two alternate captaincies are up for grabs.

Marleau scored a career-high 38 goals last season to help San Jose captured the Presidents' Trophy with the NHL's best record.

But in stunning fashion, the Sharks bowed out to lowly Anaheim in the first round of the playoffs, leaving outsiders to question the leadership in the Shark Tank.

Thornton and Mike Grier both wore an ‘A' last season. Grier signed with the Buffalo Sabres earlier this month.

"I take a lot of the blame for being the captain and not getting as far as we wanted to," said Marleau, who has spent all his 11 NHL seasons with the Sharks. "I think everybody on the team knows we messed up and we have to right that wrong.

"We definitely have what it takes to win. We showed that in the regular season. It's just a matter of bringing it all together at the right time for the playoffs. Each year, there's only one team that wins. There's a number of other teams that are trying to find a way to get over that hump. We're included in that demographic."

Upon arrival Monday, Thornton seemed more concerned about his golf bag not showing up in Calgary with the rest of the luggage.

"That's the most important thing, right?" he said with a wry grin.

On a serious note, Thornton declared any criticism of Marleau offside.

"Patty's been a good leader," Thornton said. "He's been fine. I think he's been great for us. He's been great for us in the post-season. He's been great in the regular season.

"I think they just want to go in a different direction."

Speaking of different directions, Marleau is a constant in NHL trade rumours - most recently in a three-way deal that would include disgruntled Ottawa Senators sniper Dany Heatley landing in San Jose.

Has Marleau been asked to waive his no-trade clause that runs through the 2009-10 season?

"I would like to keep that private," he said. "I can't really speculate on what's going to happen."

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #1063 on: August 27, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »

The Calgary Flames have signed left winger Nigel Dawes, avoiding arbitration with the player after he was claimed off waivers from Phoenix on Thursday, July 16.

Dawes, a native of Winnipeg, Manitoba, has 133 games of NHL experience split between the New York Rangers and the Phoenix Coyotes scoring 25 goals and adding 26 assists for 51 career points. Dawes was originally drafted by the New York Rangers in the fifth round (149th overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Dawes has previous experience with two of the Flames coaches having won the 2005 IIHF World Junior Championship as a member of Team Canada under Brent Sutter and having won the 2002 Memorial Cup with the Kootenay Ice under Ryan McGill.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #1064 on: August 27, 2009, 10:30:03 AM »

Philadelphia Flyers forward Simon Gagne confirmed Wednesday that he should be ready for training camp.

Gagne, 29, suffered a mild right groin strain Monday at Team Canada's Olympic orientation camp in Calgary.

He promptly returned to Philadelphia to be examined by Flyers physician Peter DeLuca, and received an injection.

"I thought it was going to be an easy practice, but the tempo was very fast right away during the very first drill," Gagne said. "Guys were obviously trying to show their best.

"I had been skating back home for about two weeks, but not at that high level. I kind of felt that it [his groin] was getting a little bit tight on me … I went to see the trainers and they pulled me out and there was really no question to try to push it again."

The Flyers intend to be cautious with Gagne because he had hip surgery to remove a bone spur and adhesions in late May.

"He will be allowed back on the ice in two weeks and should be ready for training camp on Sept. 12," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said.

Gagne ranked third in team scoring last season with 74 points, including 34 goals in 79 games.

The Sainte-Foy, Que., native has totalled 242 goals and 484 points in 606 NHL games since he was drafted 22nd overall by Philadelphia in 1998.