Author Topic: DJ STRONG EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW ON YORAPS.COM  (Read 62 times)

HIPHOPWEST.COM

• Muthafuckin' OG
DJ STRONG EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW ON YORAPS.COM
« on: February 09, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »
DJ STRONG EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW ON YORAPS.COM

Friday - February 9, 2007
Co-Founder of the Cali Untouchable DJs, DJ Strong built the Cali Untouchable DJ crew from nothing to the West Coast Mixtape Kings "often imitated but NEVER duplicated" status. DJ Strong has been DJing since 1995 and has had a love for hip hop since the 80's when his brother introduced him to some underground tapes of Run DMC, NWA, Too Short, etc.

Since that day DJ Strong has been grinding and paying dues, learning and refining his skills on and off the turntables, building StrongHouse Records & Distribution (No. 1 Southland Independent Distirbtution Co.), Cali Untouchable DJs (West Coast Biggest Street DJs),http://www.hiphopwest.com (Online, Retail, Marketing, and Digital Distribution Multimedia Co.) and so much more.

DJ Strong is a major influence in the West Coast Hip Hop Scene & Mixtape movement. Check out what he has to say...

What does it mean to literally be the Michael Jordan of the Westcoast mixtape game together with DJ Warrior?

It means a lot! We are waiting on that Nike endorsement deal [laughing]. It means that people really respect what we do and what we have done and that the sky's the limit.

How long have you been a DJ and how did you get started?

Iīve been dabling with music since the late 80īs from my families influence but I never could master any intstruments and while hip hop was growing and growing I always had that sound around me so I just picked it up from friends that were part of breakdance crews or throwing parties and such. Iīve been DJing since mid 90īs. Officially I bought my first pair of tables in 1996.

You are the co-founder of the Cali Untouchable DJs - the #1 DJ crew on the Westcoast. What are your ultimate goals and who else is a part of the crew?

DJ Warrior founded the Crew and I co-founded it since day one. We want to see the crew grow to international status like G-Unit. Cali Untouchable is a whole brand and part of a lifestyle that we live so it incorporates different type of hustlers primarily now DJs, Producers, Rappers etc.

You and Warrior are the official DJs for DPG. What's that like?

Itīs cool. Kurupt and me been doing mixtapes since about 2002-2003 when he was back on Death Row. Now that he has reunited with DPG we started doing tapes for the Cali Iz Active CD and other projects with Y.A and the extended family like Tri-Star, J.Wells, Slo Stallone and we are going to be doing more tapes for new projects and side projects to. We are their street marketing for mixtapes. Go check out Palm Trees and Gangstas Vol. 1 on http://www.hiphopwest.com and Cali Untouchable Radio 5, 6, 12 and Slo Stalloneīs mixtape. Those are just some of the joints we have done with them.

Why do you think so many DJs pride themselves on being in a crew?

I don't know about anyone else, but we built our own collective from scratch in a market that was not known for Westcoast crews or mixtapes. So what we have accomplished has never been done before. We got love for anyone trying to do their thing but we never really rode on anyoneīs plan or formula. We always created our own brand and it paid off. And to be honest I know most DJs don't pride themselves on being in crews. Green Lantern, Khaled, Kay Slay, Clinton Sparks and so on. But everyone is a part of something larger than just themselves at the end of the day.

You worked with all the big names from Game, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, E-40 - just to name a few. Is every new cooperation still something special to you?

You mean collaboration? Yeah everything is done seperate so it ranges of my artistic talent as a song selector, DJ, and producer (of mixtapes). That makes different projects mean different things to me, just like an artist would feel one song more than another because it might be a subject that is more personal to them. I have a formula that I use but itīs very random. I go by certain secrets and things that dictate to me how I should make a tape and no one really knows what that is but I like to just work and focus on feelings of songs how they mesh together and what it does to the listener. Thatīs something you can't copy or learn - itīs a feeling.

Is there one mixtape that stands out as a personal favorite?

Palm Trees and Gangstas, Tri-Star (Cali Untouchable Radio 6), Ice Cube (Cali Untouchable Radio 11), Lil Tone, Y.A (Cali Untouchable Radio 5), West Coast Mixtape Kings Vol. 1, Ice Cube (Cali Untouchable Radio 11), Lil Eazy E (Cali Untouchable Radio 14, Justoīs Westcoast Edition...thatīs to start.

Who are some of the new cats who are about to blow outta Cali?

Alot of cats really, for example Tri-Star, Bishop Lamont, Mistah Fab, Mitchy Slick - just to name a few. I know Iīm going to forget a few so forgive me people if i forget your name! Yung Bruh, Roccett, Glasses Malone, and a whole bunch of artists, Ricashay, Lil Tone outta Vegas. Man there is alot of talent on the West and you can guarantee we will be at the forfront of artists movements!

During the last years you won several mixtape awards. So do you think all the hard work was worth it?

Itīs been very much worth it! But thatīs nothing compared to what we are about to do. We are gonna bring it back home for the West 100x more for this year and beyond. We already built a brand with the DJ crew and now we have HipHopWest.com which is a multimedia company having many branches in the music and fashion culture that is Westcoast and beyond so the past few years has been crucial in laying down our sold foundation out here and the next few years is show and prove! So Iīm looking forward to blasting it out there!

A million other DJs trying to enter the game. In your opinion what separates you from everyone else and what is your concept to be on top of the game?

We aren't the OG's in the game but we are definitely certified G's in the mixtape game out here. Look at all we accomplished in the last few years. I think that anyone trying to get in the game now has to come with some original shit and just do them because you can't get far if youīre trying to be someone else and there are some fake people out there that will learn a hard lesson on how things really are. You can't fake the funk out here in California or anywhere for that matter. Itīs only a matter of time. But at the end of the day we make dope mixtapes. We actually mix the mixtapes [laughing], we scratch, juggle, blend. Itīs all good we do good business and we really promote artists that don't have to be the Ice Vube or the Dr. Dre to get shine. They just have to be dope and got a good idea of what they are trying to accomplish.

How do you feel about the mixtape game, right now?

Itīs saturated and lot of cookie cutter tapes are out there but I don't really trip on what other people are doing. You'd be a better person to ask about how the game is because you would be more on the consumer side of things as long as the fans are supporting then the game is alright.

Tell us about your company http://www.hiphopwest.com? Whatīs it all about?

http://www.hiphopwest.com is a lifestyle brand multimedia company. Itīs online http://www.hiphopwest.com. We doing retail, promotions, record label, and all that! Itīs a big brand that is gonna get bigger very soon. HipHopWest.com you can go get yourself a fit, some music, and other accessories for your lifestyle need. Itīs not just Westcoast stuff, itīs all types of urban and street culture that was built from the West but itīs East, West, Down South and worldwide.

I read that you are also doing a Cali Untouchable radio show? Is it an radio affiliation with Sirius Satellite Radio?

Yeah, right now itīs on Tuesday nights PST 11pm on Channel 40 HipHopNation Sirius Satellite Radio. We got guest DJs and exclusive interviews and right now Warrior is hosting the show so itīs extrememly hot. We are gonna have some podcasting opportunities too very soon!

Alright DJ Strong, any last words you want to leave us with?

I want to say thanks to Yo! Raps for always supporting us and for anyone who wants to holla at me first off you should go to http://www.hiphopwest.com and get you some music then go to DJStrong.com or MySpace.com/djstrong and hit me up!

- By Kai Denninger
http://www.hiphopwest.com
http://www.yoraps.com