Author Topic: Lethal Injection Discussion (3.5/5 regular? 4/5 with remixs replacing originals?  (Read 165 times)

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
Lethal Injection is considered to be the last best solo effort from cube in the 90's. (Bow Down crushes doubt of a fall off, but then again I did say "considered" and "solo effort" in that sentence.) I've been having this album stock for awhile. It wasnt until going back to my "Thoughts On Going Back To Cali" thread where I saw someone mentioned a remix of "What Can I Do" being up to par with B.I.G's "Going Back To Cali" sample/interpollation-wise. After a quick limewire search and download, I was willing to agree with him. Then I sat on sail to get the other remixes. My point here is, if we overwrite the original trakcs (OR SOME of the original tracks) with the remixes, would this bring Lethal Injection's score overall "up"? I usually gave it a 3.5/5, but these remixes might make it some 4/5 shit once it marinates(TM ras kass) some more. Because lyrically, this isnt a political album. It is a g-rap and socially conscious album, as cube tries to please both of his fanbases, he strikes a pretty good balance if you ask me. What are your thoughts on the remixes, them overwriting originals and just L.I in general?

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez

You Know How We Do It REMIX
As much as I recommend and commend the remixes, the original "You Know How We Do It" is top five chill songs in Hiphop for me. I personally wouldnt outslot it for anything, because it makes for too good of a sweeper track coming off of "Ghetto Bird". - Still with a westcoast sound. (Not necessarily g-funk,) just westcoast.

What Can I Do? REMIX [westcoast]
Im going with this westcoast mix instead of the eastcoast version or the original because it makes for a great sweeper funk track after 11 minutes of "Bop Gunning". A legendary Parliament interpollation remade into a dope song followed up a Zapp song(ala What Can I Do?) in similar (although not exact) fashion? im all over that. As far as funk goes, that gives this a new depth.

Lil Ass Gee [eerie gumbo]
Liking this remix just depends on what you want out of cube as far as the song's sound goes. Originally the beat is sample-heavy, bombsquad reminisicent of his earlier tracks, its a throwback to that. But if you're me, you know that you also have 2-3 other 4/5 cube albums that get that job done better than this lyrically and bomb-squad esque. So picking the eerie gumbo remix for me, was easy.

NOTE: I am aware of the Ghetto Bird remixes and excedra floating around, havent gotten around to experimenting to them yet, so I'll rely on you guys to tell me how they compare to the original. Ghetto Bird is classic as is though.

MY Lethal Injection(As of Sunday morning) - 2003/1993(Reissue with remixes is 2003)
01. "Shot (Intro)"
02. "Really Doe"
03. "Ghetto Bird"
04. "You Know How We Do It"
05. "Cave Bitch"
06. "Bop Gun (One Nation)" [Full 11 Minute Length]
07. "What Can I Do?" [Westcoast REMIX]
08. "Lil Ass Gee" [Eerie Gumbo REMIX]
09. "Make It Ruff, Make It Smooth"
10. "Down for Whatever"
11. "Enemy"
12. "When I Get to Heaven"

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
I wouldn't touch the album at all, pretty content with it, and I don't know why, but I wasn't really feeling some of them remixes.I should really give them another chance tho  8)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Theres a ghetto bird remix????? That song is my favorite ICe cube song f all time.

Isint it the best scene in Menace wehn at the begining u see SOuth Central from the sky and that tune is bumping. Thats what hip hop is for me.

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
yeah, the regular album is straight, but im going out of my way to make a remix version I can pull up when I want to play it as well.

and yeah there's a Ghetto Bird remix or two, I've seen them somewhere, wouldnt trade them though, im too content with the original to even attempt to download. bah but im afraid of liking new things.

Navaveli

• Lil Geezy
  • Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep Me Nine Str8
Ice Cube Lethal Injection is a classic album, i think its overlooked at many times but to me its one of the best G Funk albums of all time. The remixes adds bonus touch to it so i would leave the album the way it is... i dont think its a 3.5/5 album. i would give it a 4.5 out of 5... Ice Cube to me is a solid rapper all around in the game who from the west coast brings both gangsta, political, party shit all in one with his style. Dude can adapt and be serious and than go on some smokin shit and still be the bomb. Now im a big snoop fan but I dont see Snoop making that type of political stuff that can  be taken serious from him...

Anyhow Yay Yay WESSSTSide
Murderious Mind State, Cant Keep my Nine Str8...

R.I.P Makaveli aka Tupac Shakur the Hip Hop Don...

d-nice

yeah, the regular album is straight, but im going out of my way to make a remix version I can pull up when I want to play it as well.

and yeah there's a Ghetto Bird remix or two, I've seen them somewhere, wouldnt trade them though, im too content with the original to even attempt to download. bah but im afraid of liking new things.

My favorite cut off the album. Cube really does not have a weak album in his catalog. This album just had a different sound.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
Now that I see Menace II Society being mentioned, isn't it Group Home's Be Like That and not Cube's Ghetto Bird in the beggining?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
nah its ghetto bird. I'd notice those 808s anywhere.

lethal injection is mad underrated. i like it better then predator. it was cubes transition to full blown g funk style. i mean its more an album to lay back and chill or ride to. It's real gangsta unlike war and peace which seemed like he was trying to take it back to what sold.

The Predator

Ill get back to this thread, got plenty to talk about.

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
^ and i sir, will talk plenty with you.

acgrundy

there is a ghetto bird remix?  are you sure about that?  how bout posting some proof?