Author Topic: I gave Nas' "I Am" another chance... I realized it's still trash.. And the Firm.  (Read 468 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I made a thread about Hip-Hop Is Dead and the conversation turned to alot of heads at the forum voicin their opinion that Nas' "I Am" album is underrated.  So I gave it another listen, and it's still trash.  How ya'll listen to it?  People mentioned "New York State Of Mind 2" as being one of the bangers on that album.  How you figure? 

I only find one listenable track on there, and that's "Nas Is Like". 

Some of the songs were absolutely unlistenable like "Hate Me Now" with Puffy, and "K.I.S.S.I.N.G."   

Nas went through a wack phase after the success of It Was Written.  He started to go to far into the Italian Mobster persona.  Check out the Firm album for example.  That was released on Aftermath!  Dre was producing tracks for it, and it was still wack!  "Phone Tap" is the only really creative track.  And the only notable verse was Canibus' verse on the album.  That verse was straight fire!  One of the illest verses I've ever heard.

Nas didn't come back around until he released his second classic album "Stillmatic" with "Illmatic" being his first classic and best album. 

btw, Nas has always been my favorite East Coast rapper, and his new album is the most important album of the year.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

herpes

I Am = 4/5

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
thread starter shares my exact feelings! although i do like the dmx track on I Am too
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Very on point... Props.

everlast1986

Am i the only one who still listens to The Firm album in whole almost regularly and thinks its a classic?

I Am has some good tracks too its not completely trash.

Invincible

I used to think I Am was a good album but then i gave it another listen 1 day and wondered why i thought this. NY State Of Mind 2 and Nas Is Like are the only bareable tracks on there.

I think THe Firm album is bangin in some ways. Basically the Dre productions are all quality but the others are not up there with Dre's at all. Although i think Executive Decision is a good but only a good song.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I Am is extremely hit and miss. The good songs are extremely good, Nas is Like is the best song in Nas's career and a top 10 rap song of all time. Then there are some really horrible songs on that album too. That album just doesn't have a direction.

Personally I like NYSOM 2, I like it more than the first.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
You guys don't like "Undying Love"?  It's probably his best storytelling song.

herpes

AND I dont know how u dont like favor for a favor.  two legends on a track.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
"Life Is What You Make It" is pretty sick.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Michael

• Muthafuckin' Don!
tbh i loved both albums...

I Am... was a gd records IMO....favor for a favor was a bit cheesy but it was still tight as fuck...same with Nas Is Like....not a fan of NYSOM2 but sure...

and The Firm album for me is deffo a personal classic! From the intro using the Once Upon A Time IN America beat (my fave film) to the ultimate AZ verses on it.....very very gd underated album...

Samoan Enforcer

ny state of mind pt 2 is sick bryan, u just have no appreciation for urban life. nas is like is classic and hate me now, well you're just too pussy to really feel dominance as a man and be hated and envied. i guess it really does take alpha motherfuckers to appreciate hip hop to its fullest extent

ABN

i´m bumping I Am right now lol. there´s a whole bunch of dope songs on that bitch.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
I haven't listened to the whole "I Am", but tracks like "Undying Love", "Favor For A Favor", "Nas Is Like" are great to me.That song with Alliyah was good too.Come to think of it, I have to check the wholoe album real soon

The Firm album was good, although I completely understand people who were expecting more.Dre's shit was on point there, Trackmaster I think could've done better, some more AZ wouldn't have hurt anybody and there were some tracks that didn't make the album and should have ("Fist Full Of Dollaz", "Street Dreams" aka Hope...)Hell, even Affirmative Action Pt. III would've been dope as hell
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Makaveli's Food & Liquor

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I Am's a dope album nothing gorundbreaking but it's got bare dope tracks such as the ones with Scarface, Dmx, NYSOM2, HMN, and if i remember correctly the intro's pretty dope, and that's not even mentioning 'Nas is like', it grew on me as i listened to but it's a solid 3.75/5 album.

I got The Firms album for xmas cos i'd always been curious about it and i always seem to get bored of it, i still haven't managed to listen to it all the way thru, and i was really dissapointed with it...

O yea, very off topic but does ne1 have 'Ice Cube - Higher Learning' track offa the OST of Higher learning, props for any help