Author Topic: GOAT thoughts  (Read 1191 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: GOAT thoughts
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 10:48:49 AM »

well... i know enough to be a basketball referee in the third highest division in sweden. sure swedish basketball may be shit, but i still understand theory and tactics more than the average guy.

ok that's like a Junior highschool history teacher in Hobokan Wisconsin, trying to Argue with a USC history teacher who went to vietnam and has Ph.D in the subject.......my cousin plays basketball for one of the best basketball systems in central california.....and i still know more about basketball than , him. the very fact that you'd discredit kareem abdul jabar....who in all fairness played through 3 of the greatest eras of basketball, discredits your whole argument

i don't watch old nba tapes during my free time, but from what i've seen the defense were often standing still like fussball-backs and allowed the opposition to score silly amounts of goal

ok you just stated that you don't watch old nba games. period. you have no right in this argument , then to say from what you have seen , which is close to nothing, the players just stood around????? wow that is the most ignorant thing i've seeen in a while , it's a known fact that players were more defensive minded and fundamentally sound back in the day.

and off course basketball evolves, if not how come usa are being raped by european teams nowaday.

because of what i said above, fundamentals! US teams these days are concentrated on selft where teams like Greece and Argentina are TEAM. they watching old nba tapes...

with all due respect jake, you need to take your eyes off the stats sheets and instead study the opposition jerry west faced.

lol did you just says take my eyes off the stat sheets? did you even read my post? i said stats didn't matter, it's about the raw talent and leadership those legendary players possed. jerry west faced tougher defenders .....YOU need to study the opposition.

many of then drank beer before and after the match (atleast in football they did), the pressure of succeeding was far from today's level.  you could have alotta bad games and still be sure of your spot.  nowadays, if you have a bad game, theres always dudes waiting to fill your spot.

wow , you just keep getting more and more ignorant. players probably drink beer before games now, i don't know, but what i do know is that there was just as much pressure to succeed as today. in AMERICA we didn't have playstation, computers, skateboarding, cable tv, ipods, dvd's , and cds.....SPORTS were emphasized very heavily, especially in big cities like philly and los angeles. so to say there was no pressure to succeed is BLASPHAMY .....this isn't sweden buddy. you weren't assured of your spot ....i don't know where you're pulling that one out of your ass...in an era of vince lambardi , you must be a) truely full of shit b) talking out your ass c) all of the above

i would guess that the avreage lifespan for a top-player to stay on top today is 4-7 years, whille it used to be 10-15 years in the 60's, why? becase back then, after a couple of years, you played because of your reputation, not because of your skills

actually the lifespans is about the same,lol there's unusual exceptions like kareem , parish, and even shaq, but all players it's about the same. and if anything it's the other way around.....back then you played based on your skills, egos weren't as big back then, now it's more based on your reputation as egos have risen

and not only that.. take all theese crazy-ass dribbles and fake shots players do nowadays. if being done to an old schooler, he would be fooled up to the stand
go look up pistol pete marivich, he didn't invent that style but he perfected it......yeah waaaaaay back then

::)  @ this fools basketball intellect

i didn’t mean to hurt your feelings jake.. this is just a forum, so i won’t even respond calling you names and stuff

let swedish basketball be equal to junior alabama whatever..  basketball tactics are pretty international, not to mention that sweden are known for the quality of their referees (but surely i'm not one of them)
i just wanted to enlighten that I’m not a hardcore old-tape fan, but I’ve seen old kareem hooks where the opposition stands still like monuments

so usa have been playing like individuals for 2-3 championships in a row now? they dont know what they're doing wrong? i refuse to believe that even americans are that uhm.. stubborn.

are you telling me that american athletes in the 60's had the same pace and fitness as today’s american athletes? if that the case i don’t know what to say.

Players            Games Played
----------------------------------------------
1  Robert Parish (70's)      1611
2  Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (60's)    1560
3  John Stockton (80's)      1422
4  Karl Malone (80's)      1353
5  Moses Malone (70's)      1329
6  Buck Williams (80's)      1307
7  Elvin Hayes    (60's)      1303
8  John Havlicek (60's)      1270
9  Paul Silas (70's)      1254
10 Sam Perkins (80's)      1222
11 A.C. Green (80's)      1278

hm... not a single one who were drafted in the 90's ... not even 87. ... hmmm. what’s funnier is that most those guys made around 15+ seasons each... if things haven't gotten tougher, there should surely be a couple of players there from the late 80's or early 90's on that list... but hey.. what do i know??

Players            Most Games Season
---------------------------------------------------
Walt Bellamy             88 (1968-69) 
Tom Henderson          87 (1976-77)
McCoy McLemore          86 (1970-71)
Garfield Heard          86 (1975-76)

i would imagine that to be fit enough to play that amount of matches today is highly unlikely. because of todays toughness, alot of players are injury proned. were they just that much fitter back then or was it just a little easier to play..... ?

you can find more fine numbers here..
http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/basketball/nbarecords/indservicerecords.htm

and i know, i told you to take your eyes of the stats-sheets, but i’m posting this numbers just to prove that i might not be completely wrong.

Pete Maravich?.. hm.. apparently the guy averaged 44 point/match (NCAA) without there being a 3pint-line... wow.. the defense must have been REALLY bad. ok.. i checked him out in youtube.. and yes, he was good. but i love the way the guards gave him room to breathe and take his field shots. tough defense? i think not.

but hey... i know that basketball is like a religion in USA (right after american football), you probably still think that i’m a total nutcase not knowing anything about basketball, so i'll just drop this.

Man, you simply have NO clue whatsoever what you're talking about...It's a given that players like Karl Malone, Sam Perkins, AC Green, Moses Malone, Robert Parish, etc played during a MUCH tougher and physical time period in basketball...I think you really can't make comments on this if you haven't watched enough tape. The defense in the NBA peaked around the mid-80's, but the defensive element in American basketball has ALWAYS existed...PeACe

basketball in the 80's was good enough. it's basketball in the 70's and earlier i'm sceptic about

you threw in all those players like the games they played didn't mean anything

most of those players played at the peak of the nba's defese
most of those players played at the peak of the nba's allowed physicality
most of those players had the work ethic 10x  that of  nba players today

you're only making assumptions, it's clear it's useless to debate this with you as you havn't even studied the nba's history. afterall arn't you the same person who agreed with infinite that dr. dre was a better musician than bach and mozart

Lol jake. Are you suffering from amnesia? You got owned last time you claimed that I said that:
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=81776.25

And here’s the original thread for you to read… again:
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=9075.0

It’s a sad thing really if american athletes had their physical peak 1950-1970. 30 years have passed and they still haven’t found a way to have greater pace and strength. But off course, that’s only in team sports. When it comes to individual sports it’s move obvious because records are being broken all the time, even though they used to be juiced back then.

Athletes have been improving their skills in individual sports, but not in team sports… Right?

You're not getting the point...Sure there have been advancements, but players like Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Pete Maravich, etc. all had the skill and greatness in them to adapt to the game the way it's being played today, and it's not THAT much different. In fact, Pete Maravich is known as a player who woulda' fared much better in the league had he been playing in todays game...Greats are greats, that's how it's always been. Basketball is pretty much 90% mental, and all those players had more than the right amount of mental capacity to be legends amongst legends...If you disagree, explain a player like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who was able to excel in 3 seperate eras of basketball...You can't. You're speaking out of ignorance...

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »

well... i know enough to be a basketball referee in the third highest division in sweden. sure swedish basketball may be shit, but i still understand theory and tactics more than the average guy.

ok that's like a Junior highschool history teacher in Hobokan Wisconsin, trying to Argue with a USC history teacher who went to vietnam and has Ph.D in the subject.......my cousin plays basketball for one of the best basketball systems in central california.....and i still know more about basketball than , him. the very fact that you'd discredit kareem abdul jabar....who in all fairness played through 3 of the greatest eras of basketball, discredits your whole argument

i don't watch old nba tapes during my free time, but from what i've seen the defense were often standing still like fussball-backs and allowed the opposition to score silly amounts of goal

ok you just stated that you don't watch old nba games. period. you have no right in this argument , then to say from what you have seen , which is close to nothing, the players just stood around????? wow that is the most ignorant thing i've seeen in a while , it's a known fact that players were more defensive minded and fundamentally sound back in the day.

and off course basketball evolves, if not how come usa are being raped by european teams nowaday.

because of what i said above, fundamentals! US teams these days are concentrated on selft where teams like Greece and Argentina are TEAM. they watching old nba tapes...

with all due respect jake, you need to take your eyes off the stats sheets and instead study the opposition jerry west faced.

lol did you just says take my eyes off the stat sheets? did you even read my post? i said stats didn't matter, it's about the raw talent and leadership those legendary players possed. jerry west faced tougher defenders .....YOU need to study the opposition.

many of then drank beer before and after the match (atleast in football they did), the pressure of succeeding was far from today's level.  you could have alotta bad games and still be sure of your spot.  nowadays, if you have a bad game, theres always dudes waiting to fill your spot.

wow , you just keep getting more and more ignorant. players probably drink beer before games now, i don't know, but what i do know is that there was just as much pressure to succeed as today. in AMERICA we didn't have playstation, computers, skateboarding, cable tv, ipods, dvd's , and cds.....SPORTS were emphasized very heavily, especially in big cities like philly and los angeles. so to say there was no pressure to succeed is BLASPHAMY .....this isn't sweden buddy. you weren't assured of your spot ....i don't know where you're pulling that one out of your ass...in an era of vince lambardi , you must be a) truely full of shit b) talking out your ass c) all of the above

i would guess that the avreage lifespan for a top-player to stay on top today is 4-7 years, whille it used to be 10-15 years in the 60's, why? becase back then, after a couple of years, you played because of your reputation, not because of your skills

actually the lifespans is about the same,lol there's unusual exceptions like kareem , parish, and even shaq, but all players it's about the same. and if anything it's the other way around.....back then you played based on your skills, egos weren't as big back then, now it's more based on your reputation as egos have risen

and not only that.. take all theese crazy-ass dribbles and fake shots players do nowadays. if being done to an old schooler, he would be fooled up to the stand
go look up pistol pete marivich, he didn't invent that style but he perfected it......yeah waaaaaay back then

i didn’t mean to hurt your feelings jake.. this is just a forum, so i won’t even respond calling you names and stuff

let swedish basketball be equal to junior alabama whatever..  basketball tactics are pretty international, not to mention that sweden are known for the quality of their referees (but surely i'm not one of them)
i just wanted to enlighten that I’m not a hardcore old-tape fan, but I’ve seen old kareem hooks where the opposition stands still like monuments

so usa have been playing like individuals for 2-3 championships in a row now? they dont know what they're doing wrong? i refuse to believe that even americans are that uhm.. stubborn.

are you telling me that american athletes in the 60's had the same pace and fitness as today’s american athletes? if that the case i don’t know what to say.

hm... not a single one who were drafted in the 90's ... not even 87. ... hmmm. what’s funnier is that most those guys made around 15+ seasons each... if things haven't gotten tougher, there should surely be a couple of players there from the late 80's or early 90's on that list... but hey.. what do i know??

i would imagine that to be fit enough to play that amount of matches today is highly unlikely. because of todays toughness, alot of players are injury proned. were they just that much fitter back then or was it just a little easier to play..... ?

and i know, i told you to take your eyes of the stats-sheets, but i’m posting this numbers just to prove that i might not be completely wrong.

Pete Maravich?.. hm.. apparently the guy averaged 44 point/match (NCAA) without there being a 3pint-line... wow.. the defense must have been REALLY bad. ok.. i checked him out in youtube.. and yes, he was good. but i love the way the guards gave him room to breathe and take his field shots. tough defense? i think not.

but hey... i know that basketball is like a religion in USA (right after american football), you probably still think that i’m a total nutcase not knowing anything about basketball, so i'll just drop this.

Man, you simply have NO clue whatsoever what you're talking about...It's a given that players like Karl Malone, Sam Perkins, AC Green, Moses Malone, Robert Parish, etc played during a MUCH tougher and physical time period in basketball...I think you really can't make comments on this if you haven't watched enough tape. The defense in the NBA peaked around the mid-80's, but the defensive element in American basketball has ALWAYS existed...PeACe

basketball in the 80's was good enough. it's basketball in the 70's and earlier i'm sceptic about

you're only making assumptions, it's clear it's useless to debate this with you as you havn't even studied the nba's history. afterall arn't you the same person who agreed with infinite that dr. dre was a better musician than bach and mozart

Lol jake. Are you suffering from amnesia? You got owned last time you claimed that I said that:

It’s a sad thing really if american athletes had their physical peak 1950-1970. 30 years have passed and they still haven’t found a way to have greater pace and strength. But off course, that’s only in team sports. When it comes to individual sports it’s move obvious because records are being broken all the time, even though they used to be juiced back then.

Athletes have been improving their skills in individual sports, but not in team sports… Right?

You're not getting the point...Sure there have been advancements, but players like Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Pete Maravich, etc. all had the skill and greatness in them to adapt to the game the way it's being played today, and it's not THAT much different. In fact, Pete Maravich is known as a player who woulda' fared much better in the league had he been playing in todays game...Greats are greats, that's how it's always been. Basketball is pretty much 90% mental, and all those players had more than the right amount of mental capacity to be legends amongst legends...If you disagree, explain a player like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who was able to excel in 3 seperate eras of basketball...You can't. You're speaking out of ignorance...

Claiming that basketball is 90% mental is a good way of degrading the sport. But I'll tell you this: Football (and off course i mean REAL footbal, not yankball) have more to do with what you learn. Progress in tactics and skills can been seen each and every damn year. Just a couple of year ago, a no good country (Greece) managed to win the Erupean Cup, because of their boring, but higly effective, tactics.

BUT OK !!!

I'll accept your claim that americans have difficult finding new ways to progress in their sports, because thats basicly what you are saying..... right?
It even explains why you're getting whopped BIG TIME nowadays, not only in basketball, but also in hockey and baseball, so i guess you must be right.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:07:12 AM by Maestro Minded / LME »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 11:24:54 AM »

Claiming that basketball is 90% mental is a good way of degrading the sport. But I'll tell you this: Football (and off course i mean REAL footbal, not yankball) have more to do with what you learn. Progress in tactics and skills can been seen each and every damn year. Just a couple of year ago, a no good country (Greece) managed to win the Erupean Cup, because of their boring, but higly effective, tactics.

BUT OK !!!

I'll accept your claim that americans have difficult finding new ways to progress in their sports, because thats basicly what you are saying..... right?
It even explains why you're getting whopped BIG TIME nowadays, not only in basketball, but also in hockey and baseball, so i guess you must be right.

You're amazing, homie...It's like you can't understand anything even if you try. Of course basketball is mostly mental...Pretty much everything we do in life is mostly mental. We could FLY if we used 100% of our brains...Nothing is degrading about that. The only think degrading in this whole conversation is your theory which you've based off ignorance. We can't find new ways to progress in our sports? The game is fine how it is, what the fuck are you talking about man? What do you expect? Scoring only allowed on dunks? 4 point lines? Come on now...Americans are unquestionably the best at basketball, that's why the NBA is the ultimate goal and the highest level for players across the globe. Try putting ANY European team against the worst NBA team, and they would get slaughtered...America hasn't been killing in international play because we don't prepare for that sort of thing, as opposed to the rest of the world who take it as an honor to be on the team and consider it something bigger than a championship game, causing them to prepare and condition for it...With the USA, our greatest players tend to decline invitations to world games, leaving us with rookies, scrubs, and college players on the team with limited preparation...Do you honestly believe that the USA team could be matched if it were:

PG Gilbert Arenas
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Carmelo Anthony
PF Kevin Garnett
C Tim Duncan

The answer is...HELL NO!

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 11:35:43 AM »

BUT OK !!!

You're amazing, homie...It's like you can't understand anything even if you try. Of course basketball is mostly mental...Pretty much everything we do in life is mostly mental. We could FLY if we used 100% of our brains...Nothing is degrading about that. The only think degrading in this whole conversation is your theory which you've based off ignorance. We can't find new ways to progress in our sports? The game is fine how it is, what the fuck are you talking about man? What do you expect? Scoring only allowed on dunks? 4 point lines? Come on now...Americans are unquestionably the best at basketball, that's why the NBA is the ultimate goal and the highest level for players across the globe. Try putting ANY European team against the worst NBA team, and they would get slaughtered...America hasn't been killing in international play because we don't prepare for that sort of thing, as opposed to the rest of the world who take it as an honor to be on the team and consider it something bigger than a championship game, causing them to prepare and condition for it...With the USA, our greatest players tend to decline invitations to world games, leaving us with rookies, scrubs, and college players on the team with limited preparation...Do you honestly believe that the USA team could be matched if it were:

PG Gilbert Arenas
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Carmelo Anthony
PF Kevin Garnett
C Tim Duncan

The answer is...HELL NO!

LOL.... LMAO...ROMNFRLGALO(?)
its way to easy to score when there's no keeper..... i guess i'm done here

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2007, 11:47:35 AM »
^^I guess you haven't heard of people levitating through meditation. What boggles my mind is how you were speaking like you're above all that "childish" shit a few posts back, then you go and put my quote in your sig...Sorta pathetic if you ask me. Then again, you have no arguments, because you're basing everything off of ignorance, so it's not really surprising...

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2007, 11:54:52 AM »
^^I guess you haven't heard of people levitating through meditation. What boggles my mind is how you were speaking like you're above all that "childish" shit a few posts back, then you go and put my quote in your sig...Sorta pathetic if you ask me. Then again, you have no arguments, because you're basing everything off of ignorance, so it's not really surprising...

yeah... you're right... i'll remove it... i'm sorry (you see, i can admit when i'm wrong..). but dayem.. it's the line of the year.

BUT.. by having it, i just wanted to show people your ignorance, it's not like i called you stupid or similar... i just quoted something you said. if i said something degrading about your race, your apperance or similar things, then i would have been somebody i'm trying not to be.

sure, i've heard of levitation through meditation. i've also heard of voodoo. some people even claims that they can talk to animals. i remember some kid say "i see dead people". some guy claimed that there were weapons of mass destructions in iraq.
but that doesn't have to mean that they're telling the truth.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 12:06:00 PM by Maestro Minded / LME »

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2007, 12:06:52 PM »

if anything it looks like you got owned buddy,lol wow i'm glad all that stuff isn't still in my memory (sorry i have a life)
-Jemmy Hendrix 10% genius? LMAO

lol okay back to the topic on hand oh ignorant one

players have gotten bigger and stronger in the last 30 years no one is debating that....what i meant by ALLOWED physicality peaked, was that people weren't getting ticky tack fouls for resting a forearm on someone, players were on the team to give fouls that were hard enough to be considered flagrant II fouls now. butof corse you wouldn't understand this because YOU SAID YOU DON"T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ERA

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2007, 12:08:39 PM »

yeah... you're right... i'll remove it... i'm sorry (you see, i can admit when i'm wrong..). but dayem.. it's the line of the year.

BUT.. by having it, i just wanted to show people your ignorance, it's not like i called you by names or anything.. i just quoted something you said. if i said something degrading about your race, your apperance or similar thing, then i would have been somebody i'm trying not to be.

sure, i've heard of levitation through meditation. i've also heard of voodoo. some people even claims that they can talk to animals. i remember some kid say "i see dead people". some guy claimed that there were weapons of mass destructions in iraq.

It's not nearly as funny as you're trying to make it seem, many people believe in the power of telekinesis...But back to the main topic that you side-tracked from, you shouldn't make comments based on ignorance, and that's pretty much what you've done...You don't know enough about the history of the NBA and the progression of the game to formulate a credible opinion on it...You even admitted you haven't watched old-school footage, so what's the point? Try shooting down what I'm really getting at, instead of picking on my petty comments...PeACe

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2007, 03:09:27 PM »

BUT.. by having it, i just wanted to show people your ignorance, it's not like i called you by names or anything.. i just quoted something you said. if i said something degrading about your race, your apperance or similar thing, then i would have been somebody i'm trying not to be.

It's not nearly as funny as you're trying to make it seem, many people believe in the power of telekinesis...But back to the main topic that you side-tracked from, you shouldn't make comments based on ignorance, and that's pretty much what you've done...You don't know enough about the history of the NBA and the progression of the game to formulate a credible opinion on it...You even admitted you haven't watched old-school footage, so what's the point? Try shooting down what I'm really getting at, instead of picking on my petty comments...PeACe

nik... Do you know a bit about the laws of aerodynamic? Do you know why birds and big jumbo jet planes are able to fly? Because being able to fly have nothing to do with what you know. It has to do with what you're able to do within the reach of physic laws. Birds are extremely stupid creatures, but they can still fly. Some (stupid) people believe in telekinesis, sure, but it doesn’t mean that it’s possible for a man to move stuff with his mind if he used 100% of his brain. That’s science fiction.

I wrote about sports in general. I wasn’t specifically targeting basketball... and I don't need to be a hardcore fan to see that they imo played lousy basketball back then when TV was black and white. But I’ve given my opinion on that matter and I’ve given valid arguments also. You don’t have to agree with me, but it’s when people claim that my thoughts are “stupid and ignorant”, because I assure you, I know a thing or two about basketball. I’ve been playing it, I’m a referee and I’ve also been a coach (kids off course).  I’m not just throwing words for the heck of it.

And Jake, let us just say that I never forget stuff, no matter how unimportant it might be. That’s  a good thing imo.

But like I said: I will say nothing more about basketball, because you guys are taking it way too personally.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 03:11:39 PM by Maestro Minded / LME »

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 12:56:17 PM »
how can you you make ignorant comments if you admittedly don't know what you're talking about.  if what you're saying is true ^. then racist rednecks are justified for believing  what they believe about blacks and jews. 

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2007, 01:06:10 PM »
how can you you make ignorant comments if you admittedly don't know what you're talking about.  if what you're saying is true ^. then racist rednecks are justified for believing  what they believe about blacks and jews. 

i didn't say that i don't know anything about old type of basketball. i said that i don't watch alot of old tapes during my freetime.  there's a difference, but i can stop mentioning it, since i'm hurting some peoples feelings by stating my opinions.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2007, 02:15:05 PM »
You're not hurting feelings, you just sound ignorant on so many levels...

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2007, 04:01:06 PM »
You're not hurting feelings, you just sound ignorant on so many levels...

i don't wanna repeat myself, but i can say this. i think you and jake seem ignorant when you're refusing to accept facts. i don't know what you're thinking when you're claiming that basketball have had no progression in skills for 50 years.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2007, 04:24:38 PM »
^^Another ignorant comment. Where did I claim there has been no progression in basketball for the last 50 years? There has been progression in the game and the way its played, not in the individuals or the skill level of the individuals. You can take greats from the past, put them in todays game, and they will adapt to the way it's played and excel in it, because they mastered the game. There has been progression, but it's not THAT much of a difference. The basics have always been the same...Try comprehending what we're saying...PeACe
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 10:07:09 PM by Now_I_Know »

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2007, 04:33:39 PM »

i didn't say that i don't know anything about old type of basketball. i said that i don't watch alot of old tapes during my freetime.  there's a difference, but i can stop mentioning it, since i'm hurting some peoples feelings by stating my opinions.

okay but still by your logic the kkk are justified for hanging blacks and burning down synagogs. truth be told, you can hide behind that pussy ass excuse "it's my opinion" but there's a difference between and educated opinion and an ignorant one. racist people like the kkk know about black people , hell they even live with them, it's their opinion that blacks are just monkies.....but that's an ignorant opinion.  you my friend hold an ignorant one...do you know how i know? because i once held that belief until my grandpa schooled me, and he was teaching me basketball from the 1940's!
to state that players just stood around and let pete maravic and jerry west score at will is irnorant and so disrespectful. you'd have an argument about basketball from it's inception but we're not arguing that we're arguing the NBA from the 1960's forward to the 1980's.  the 1960's was all about work ethic and giving it your all (the Lombardi era of sports) the 1970's was about creative innovations and the 1980's was a marriage of both of those eras. the 1990's was the jordan era and after (and arguably during the last part of ) all of this started to degenerate. basketball has gone down, work ethics (allen iverson: "practice, we're talking about practice.") Defense (pheonix suns/old mavericks)  and professionalism ( r. wallace, pacers/pistons, c. anthony)  have all gone down. If you watch those old tapes and actually study the players  from the black and white tv era you'll have a better appreciation.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:35:26 PM by Don Jacob »