Author Topic: New Marco Polo featuring Masta Ace - "Nostalgia"... It's dope  (Read 112 times)

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!

jeromechickenbone

Re: New Marco Polo featuring Masta Ace - "Nostalgia"... It's dope
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 11:45:58 AM »
I'll check this as soon as I get home.  This is Marco Polo from INI?  Ace never disappoints.

Throwback

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 12:02:15 PM »
its great.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
I'll check this as soon as I get home.  This is Marco Polo from INI?  Ace never disappoints.
dont know if he is from INI???

But he is just a producer, this is from his new album

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »
He's from Toronto,

chill
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 05:37:02 PM »
DLing now.  But I dug up this recent interview.  He's on Rawkus and getting ready to drop his album.  Read this as it has me pretty pumped up.  Props Oklin for the hookup.

Marco Polo - Traveler & Explorer 
Thursday - February 15, 2007

http://www.yoraps.com/next2blow.php?subaction=showfull&id=1171566211&archive=&start_from=&ucat=4&

Rawkus Records has been the home to some of hip-hop’s finest underground rappers. Their latest recruit is one of the game’s most underrated producers, Marco Polo. Marco has been in the game for a minute as a producer but he’s getting ready to drop his debut LP entitled “Port Authority”.

He goes on to say his album will definitely bring back that classic Rawkus Records sound that people love. With a mission to revive the part of hip-hop that’s withering Marco is making sure that his album will sound like something people have never heard. He does this with collaborations with legends like Kool G Rap, Masta Ace, and Buckshot and the entire album is produced by Marco himself.

He was born and raised in Toronto, but don’t get it twisted, Marco now resides in Brooklyn and he definitely has the swagger and hunger of a Brooklyn born hustler.

Don’t believe me? Check out what the self-proclaimed producer extraordinaire has to say about the state of hip-hop and his debut album.

For the people who have never heard of you who is Marco Polo?

Definitely Marco Polo as a producer is a producer extraordinaire repping boom bap hip-hop because hip-hop is definitely missing that these days. Repping Toronto and Brooklyn I’m not like other producers I don’t make beats based on what’s hot, I’m not a cliché producer either and with me nothing is overplayed and nothing sounds the same. As far as Marco Polo the rapper…I’m not really a rapper but creatively I put forth an extra effort. Like all beats are created in the studio when I do collaborations I don’t just send an artist like 10 beats and have them choose one and drop a verse on it…I put a lot of work into this album with my collaborations.

Was the move from Toronto to Brooklyn hard?

At first it was scary and overwhelming, more than hard. But, after I got my job at the cutting room and my visa papers in order shit was definitely easier. I was working so much when I moved to NY that I didn’t have time to think about it being hard.

Can you explain the situation at Rawkus Records right now? It seems to me as if you guys are being resurrected.

Rawkus has a catalog that for everyone who is a hip-hop head respects and love. It’s like they started off real strong and they lost their original method when they lost their deal and after Soundbombing 3. But my album, “Port Authority”, is definitely bringing back that classic Rawkus sound and its hip-hop credibility.

What can people expect when they listen to your debut LP “Port Authority”?

Honestly I think people will be shocked…Like anyone who is a fan of Pete Rock Soul Survivor is going to feel this. People are going to feel good and they are going to realize that hip-hop is not dead and I think it will inspire artist to step their game-up.

What is your opinion on the state of hip-hop? Do you believe it’s dead?

Naw hip-hop is not dead. I just feel like whatever is dead in hip-hop let it die. Whatever is new in hip-hop whether it be club hip-hop, backpack hip-hop or whatever let it do what it do. It’s Like new artist breath new life into hip-hop but it needs to get back to its roots, hip-hop will never be dead and it ain’t going nowhere.

How did you come up with the title “Port Authority”?

The album title has a lot of meanings to it but the first is tied to the actual explorer Marco Polo. He was a traveler he traveled by ship and he explored various things and that’s kind of how I feel about my journey through life. Another meaning is that Port Authority is a landmark in NY City. It’s a grimy area where all the immigrants come in at and me coming from Toronto and moving to Brooklyn I was an immigrant and so that’s how I came up with the title.

In your bio you say that Port Authority is representing a part of hip-hop that is withering away…What part of hip-hop are you speaking about?

Definitely…Like through the outlets of TV and radio real hip-hop isn’t really being exposed and kids growing up these days are suffering from that negligence and they are seeing false things. Like the new stuff in hip-hop is cool but people should stay true to the original hip-hop roots I just feel like my album is bringing back that Eastcoast, grimy, New York hip-hop because it’s absent from the game right now.

Aside from your album what other projects are you working on? Can we expect to hear some of your production anytime soon?

Definitely I got a track on Heltah Skeltah’s new album, Large Professor, Roscoe P. Soulchain who’s signed to Pharrell’s label Star Trak, J Live, Supastition, Special Teams, OC, and a host of others that I can’t really remember now.

I listened to some of your beats online and some of your beats have this soulful feeling. Could you tell me who were some of your musical influences growing up?

Growing up I listened to a variety of things and some of my influences were The Beatles, Donnie Hathaway, CREAM, Ron Ayers, Stevie Wonder, Patrice Rushen, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, Gangstarr, and there were a lot more but these were the main people.

Besides yourself, what other rappers and producers are feeling in the game right now?

On the production side I would have to say DJ Premier, J. Dilla as always (R.I.P), Nottz, Pete Rock, Large Professor, & The RZA. There are many more but those are just a few. As far as rappers I’m feeling Sean Price, Elzhi from Slum Village, Supastition, Rocky Marciano from The UN, and Rockness from Heltah Skeltah.

Is there anyone you haven’t worked with that you would want to work with?

Yeah, from the classic era I would have to say Rakim and Big Daddy Kane. I would also like to work with Ghostface and I could definitely see myself working with Elzhi from Slum Village.

Do you plan on working with the Boot Camp Click again anytime soon?

Oh yeah, most definitely I had three tracks on the last album and there putting out another compilation and I’m working on some stuff for that one, it’s supposed to come out this year but exactly when I’m not sure.

How do you feel about the White Rapper Show?

That shit is like watching a bad train wreck and you can’t turn away. It’s not really helping stereotypes for white people involved in Hip-Hop but I see it makes for interesting TV

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 05:06:18 AM »
Marco Polo in INI?I always thought INI was Rob-O, Ras G and Grap Luva  ???

Oh and props for the track Oklin
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »
Marco Polo in INI?I always thought INI was Rob-O, Ras G and Grap Luva  ???

Oh and props for the track Oklin

Marco Polo was a part of the group as well. 

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
I'm really feelin that Masta Ace joint.  Shit is real dope - I love that scratchin.  Real dope joint.

I just found this - 2 more Marco Polo joints apparently from his upcoming album one ft. Kool G Rap the other with Kardinall Offishall.  Listen here - http://hypem.com/artist/marco+polo

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 12:56:03 PM »
theres gonna be a video for this track

http://www.marcopolobeats.com/

05-Masta Ace "Nostalgia" (video for this song in the works!!!)

and oh yeah..maybe the whole album is here:

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=137630
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:57:49 PM by Oklin »