Author Topic: The Official Tanjint's thoughts on 50 after listening to GRODT AND POTD thread  (Read 636 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
So I've been a huge 50 cent hater since my uncle showed him to me in the late 90's as a dude that disses people all the time. Then I hated him all over again in 2003 when GRODT and I hated him all over again several months back when i got back into rap and found out that Game no longer is on Aftermath because of shit that went down with 50.

Now given that I only got back into rap very recently, I've heard mainly post massacre work and that's just reinforced my negative opinion of him. However, I've heard everyone from Timboisnotcoming to Styles P say GRODT is pretty bangin', even near classic. Not being the kind of person who can't admit that he's wrong, I had to look into this. I remember people saying it's the blueprint for The Documentary, and I like the Documentary alot so this was intriguing.

After listening to GRODT a grip I gotta say it's definitely in the same league as Documentary. This shit is banging, alot of ridiculously addictive/catchy tracks. All the Dre tracks are fire especially Heat. Many Men, High all the time, and Not like Me are fuckin' sick shit. Dude has a dope flow, dope voice, and can come dope lyrically when he wants to.  21 questions is a maad classic. P.I.M.P is crazy good, didn't know denaun produced it. 

I couldn't believe how much I was enjoying this record considering how much I've disliked him over the years, it's just like when i bought reasonable doubt. couldn't deny that there was something behind the hype. but whereas you couldn't deny Jay's raw skill, 50's not so much the sickest rapper as he is good at putting enjoyable ass records together(hooks, verses, the whole package done well).

anyway, then I listened to power of the dollar. this album is just as good as GRODT in my opinion, lyrically actually it's better but it's a more subtle album. tracks like heat, not like me, in da club etc. jump out at you engage you whereas tracks like i'm a hustler, slow doe, power of the dollar are dope tracks that you have to give a chance to before they hit you over the head with their dopeness. How to Rob is such a well done song, it's insanely clever.

it's kind of fitting that em/dre picked him up after what happened to him. it's a fuckin' shame that columbia did him like that so I see why dre/em would see value in him. and they had no idea in 02 or whenever they signed him that he'd get so whack in 05 so now I can finally see why they gave him the position they did.

that said, outside of
-having a relatively whack crew
-beefing with people all the time

I feel I no longer can legitimately hate 50 anymore than we can hate on a da game is to be sold era snoop or a post volume two/three jigga.-dudes dropped a whack album and made a lot of whack stuff around that time. talented people not using it/propagating bullshit, that's it.

now what instances on his records does 50 say stuff about preme? I only heard him mention preme once, on PODT...is this the song that everyone is referring to when they say he is  snitch or did I miss something?

also, in hate it or love it from documenary...is 50 saying his mom was a lesbian after his dad left home or can anyone explain the mom kissing a girl line?

thanks

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Samoan Enforcer

his mommas a lesbian

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
that's interesting, any articles go with that story? was hate it or love it the first time he mentioned that shit?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

love it or hate it is one of the only tracks where im really feelin what he spit. beefs and shit aside i just can't stand him and am not really that interested in ever listening to him again.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
You should also check out Guess Who's Back?Easily 50's best album, it shits all over Power Of The Dollar & GRODT (ther're dope as fuck too).

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
love it or hate it is one of the only tracks where im really feelin what he spit. beefs and shit aside i just can't stand him and am not really that interested in ever listening to him again.

that's completely legitimate. yeah hate it or love it is the first 50 cent song I liked.

can someone hook up guess who's back?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yea 50's shit from GRODT & PODT & GWB are all great.. Massacre wasn't very good and I'm tired of alot of the shit he does now... I'm hoping he comes correct with his new album but I'm not holding my breath...

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
You should also check out Guess Who's Back?Easily 50's best album, it shits all over Power Of The Dollar & GRODT (ther're dope as fuck too).

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
i can't fuck with a snitch that rolls with 5-0
I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
i can't fuck with a snitch that rolls with 5-0

Shit like this is retarded.. your not fucking with him.. your not friends with him.. you don't hang out with him... you listen to his music.. that's it

T-Dub

Yeah you definitely should check out Guess Who's Back.  If you enjoyed POTD and GRODT, you won't be disappointed with it.

Efrain

I got a copy of the source CD for "Power of the dollar" that was given to Columbia before the mixes, track order and final cut were decided (on the version that never even came out). Listening to that material now it really was a dope album.

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I've been watching 50 since the late 90s and I still don't like him. The only things that remotely makes any of his songs good are the beats. People hate on Ja Rule but love this fool. Pretty much one in the same making love songs and whatnot, except 50's a snitch.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Glad you gave him a chance. Ive been listening to 50 ever since he became a protege of Jam Master Jay (my friend is a huge Run DMC fan). Like someone said check Guess Whos Back, No Mercy No Fear and 50 Cent Is The Future and especially that 98 compilation that was used for promotional use only.

About the Massacre that everyone dislikes so much, for me, if it wasnt for the 3,4 wack joints I'd say its better than GRODT in a second. 50s guest apperance game has been really good for the past 2 years (Buck, Banks, Yayo, Game, Eminem, Mobb Deep, GRODT Ost, The Re-Up) and his last 2 mixtapes, especially the Hip Hop Is Dead one was really nice.

Lets just hope he delivers on "Before I Self Destruct." Rap needs a gigantic 50 album.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
I've been watching 50 since the late 90s and I still don't like him. The only things that remotely makes any of his songs good are the beats. People hate on Ja Rule but love this fool. Pretty much one in the same making love songs and whatnot, except 50's a snitch.

I completely respect and appreciate your opinion, but I feel like 50's alot more talented than ja Rule. alot of people make love songs, but like mac dre said it's not what you say it's how you say it.

Glad you gave him a chance. Ive been listening to 50 ever since he became a protege of Jam Master Jay (my friend is a huge Run DMC fan). Like someone said check Guess Whos Back, No Mercy No Fear and 50 Cent Is The Future and especially that 98 compilation that was used for promotional use only.

About the Massacre that everyone dislikes so much, for me, if it wasnt for the 3,4 wack joints I'd say its better than GRODT in a second. 50s guest apperance game has been really good for the past 2 years (Buck, Banks, Yayo, Game, Eminem, Mobb Deep, GRODT Ost, The Re-Up) and his last 2 mixtapes, especially the Hip Hop Is Dead one was really nice.

Lets just hope he delivers on "Before I Self Destruct." Rap needs a gigantic 50 album.

damn, I don't have the first clue outside HU spot where to look for those tapes. I guess I'll make a post. anyway, I borrowed massacre from my friend for a few days and I couldn't stomach most of it. even gatman with eminem was pretty horrid to me but that's cool. I agree that his guest appearances on encore and documentary were dope.

-T

westcoastavengers.com