Author Topic: New J-Flexx interview part 1  (Read 331 times)

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
New J-Flexx interview part 1
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:30:10 PM »
MrMakaveli.net: Can you give us as much detail about yourself as possible and tell us something you think the fans don't know about yourself?

J-Flexx: This is ya boy J.Flexx. I’m from Dayton Ohio but I was born in Abilene TX. I’ve also lived in Detroit because my pop is from there.

MrMakaveli.net: In some of your songs you mention you were kicked out the army for smoking pot, is there any truth in this and if so how do you feel about it?

J-Flexx: Yeah, that’s a true story. I got a general discharge though, it wasn’t a dishonorable discharge. They told me I could stay if I snitched…. picture that! It actually was a blessing because I wound up coming to LA after that.

MrMakaveli.net: What have you been up to since leaving Deathrow Records?

J-Flexx: I just been behind the scenes mostly. Wrote some songs for Warren G, Shaq and a little scoring for TV shows here and there. Went to the White House with my manager KC and met the pres & the first lady and just tryin to stay active and creative.

MrMakaveli.net: Can you tell us as much information as possible on your upcoming album titled 'Billboard Dreams"? When is it dropping and what can the J-Flexx fans expect from this album?

J-Flexx: The new album “Billboard Dreams” drops on March 27 and you can expect an album of solid lyrics and solid beats. I aint playin with this shit.

MrMakaveli.net: Any guest appearences on the "Billboard Dreams" album and if so who? Will there be any of your homies from the Deathrow days appearing on a few tracks?

J-Flexx: I just kept this album to myself mostly because it’s my first. But I do have a reggae cat named Shawnee on the single “Sexy U R” and my homeys out in the bronx Prolific and of course my homey Sean “Barney Rubble” Thomas.

MrMakaveli.net: Do you have a final tracklisting for the album yet or can drop some of the titles of songs the fans can expect to see on this release?

J-Flexx: Fa sure, the following: Do My Thang, Cards On The Table, Billboard Dreams, In The Wind, J Flexx, Who’s Ya Daddy, Somebody Out There, Good 4 U, Like A freak, Down Sunset, Sexy U R.

MrMakaveli.net: Can you let the fans know which producers will be on your "Billboard Dreams" album? And will the album be back to your Deathrow Era style or is it a completly new style we can expect?

J-Flexx: All the production was handled by myself, Prolific and Barney Rubble. All in-house. I don’t have a timberland or Kanye budget.. plus the homeys are dope.

....Deathrow Records....

MrMakaveli.net: How did you meet up with Dr. Dre and join Death Row Records?

J-Flexx: I was in LA 12 hours and bumped into Dre at the red light on Sunset and Cahuenga. He pulled over and took my demo and gave us some passes to a party he was having. When we got to the party he told me my shit was dope and it was on like that. It all happened so fast it had 2 be fate.

MrMakaveli.net: Did you ever get paid for the songs you did that Dr Dre had taken the credit for like cali love, keep their heads ringin', and natural born killers etc?

J-Flexx: Yeah I got paid. But not what I should have on some of the songs. For instance “California Love” had so many samples that everybody wanted a piece of the royalties… but I was new to the game back then and what I thought was a lot of money for my work was actually peanuts. Don’t get in this game if you aint came to play.

MrMakaveli.net: As many of the Deathrow fans know you did the original unreleased & unheard version of 'Natural Born Killers' which has dr dre & sam sneed on it only, did you ever lay down a verse for it or was it only inteded to be Dre and Sneed on the track? Can you give us any other information about the track the fans may not know?

J-Flexx: Natural Born Killaz was the first song I wrote for Dre. It was originally Dre and Sneed but when Cube heard how I had Dre spittin he offered to do the hook. From there he wrote a verse and Sneed did his own song on the soundtrack called “U Better Recognize”.

MrMakaveli.net: How did Tupac end up being in the music video for 'Natural Born Killerz'? Was it your idea? Suge's? How was the atmosphere around the videoshoot when being shot?

J-Flexx: Im not sure whose idea it was but Pac was on Interscope then and that was Death Rows parent company. Video shoot are cool, girls everywhere.

MrMakaveli.net: Can you tell us information about the following original songs unreleased you did called -

- Street Scholars
- Stayin Alive

J-Flexx:

- Street Scholars – was a song I wrote for Sam Sneed because that was the name of his album. When Sneed left I kept the song. Me and Sneed worked well together. He’s a dope ass producer.

- Stayin Alive - - was written around the same time Dre and Suge was splitting up. My eyes were being opened about the game right about then and that track was slappin! That’s a Barney Rubble beat.

- 911 – is just a commercial for a charity called 911 for kids… but kids loved it. I’m surprised y’all knew that one.

MrMakaveli.net:And could you share the full tracks with us or snippets?

J-Flexx: I don’t know where those tracks are.. hell, I need copies of those.

MrMakaveli.net: In 97/98 you changed to a more positive vibe with the songs on the Gang Related sndtrck. You also performed at a '911' kids banquet and another event to benefit kids with Shaq called Shaqtacular. What prompted the change in direction?

J-Flexx: My manager Karen Chatman (KC) was the force behind that move. She was deeply affected by the deaths and the violence and felt that we had to do something. I can’t take credit for that because I still wanted to make gangster shit back then.

MrMakaveli.net: Do you have any copies of your old Deathrow work? And have you considered selling your original unreleased Deathrow album on the net much like O.F.T.B are doing now and how tha oultawz did with the 'Retribution' Album?

J-Flexx: All the Deathrow stuff is in Suge’s vault. He got a vault full of hits but trust me.. if it was dope he’ll get it out to the public eventually.

MrMakaveli.net: Where is Sean Thomas these days? Any chance of you guys working together soon?

J-Flexx: Sean “Barney Rubble” Thomas is chillin like a villain. He did about half of my album and he is working on a country album as well. He’s probably the most talented person I know.

MrMakaveli.net: You did 2 songs for a Batman made TV special called 'Return to the Batcave'. Can you tell us about that and those songs?

J-Flexx: CBS did a Batman movie with the stars of the original Batman and those songs were part of the score. It was Batman but with a hiphop twist.

MrMakaveli.net: Are you still in contact with Dr Dre or Sam Sneed and if so how is your relationship with them these days? And do you have any plans on working with them in the near future?

J-Flexx: I talk to Sneed every now and then. He is an amazing dude. He beat brain cancer… that’s gangsta. Me and Dre don’t talk but there’s no beef. Dre is about his money and I’m about mine.

MrMakaveli.net: When Dr. Dre left Death Row Records did Suge Knight put the responsibility of #1 Hit's upon your shoulders? When Dre left how was the atmosphere at tha row and did you feel more pressure to get hits out or work more?

J-Flexx: When Dre left Suge took us all to the Bahamas to work on Deathrows Greatest Hits. It was always pressure when it’s that many dope rappers on one label. But pressure makes coal into diamonds

MrMakaveli.net: What was it like working with Tha Realest on the tracks on the gang related sound track?

J-Flexx: KC found Tha Realest in Texas and introduced him to Suge. He was out on wax before he even had a deal. That’s the little homey right there but he was a wild dude back then.

billboard dreams march 27 (LONG LIVE CRIME RECORDS/Koch records)
 Part 2 of the interview coming Friday Part  23rd March, dont miss out!

Digital Pimpin'

Re: New J-Flexx interview part 1
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 04:01:26 AM »
Props, J.Flexx was a mad lyricist 8)

Okka

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 01:40:10 PM »
Dope news, i hope that the new album will be bangin, Flexx is a very dope rapper/producer 8)

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:01:02 PM »
yeah flexx is dope as fukk......cant wait for billboard dreams and i hope deathrow will release all these hits flexx is talkin about sooner or later :)

Tha Psycho Hustla

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:05:25 AM »
big mf thx 4 dat.
i luv yall.i saw it on mrmakaveli website and i couldnt git in so i wuz bout 2 aks ya bout to drop dat shiznit on dubcc.
and what i see? New J-Flexx interview part 1-thread.

1 luv.