Author Topic: You're not a movement, you're three dudes  (Read 569 times)

KURUPTION-81

Re: You're not a movement, you're three dudes
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »
Tanjibility, your not dissing your very own dangerous crew movement here are you  ;)

Seriously though i see what your saying, its annoying when an up and coming artist starts his own label which in reality isnt a label because they have no distribution and then procedes to sign a bunch of rappers who he cant put out. Rappers need to consolidate there own position before trying to build an empire.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 12:45:17 PM »
The thing is though, the south and the east are selling records and getting major radio spins. A lot of the labels don't give a damn about the west coast, and if someone from the west is lucky enough to get a contract on a big label, they don't the promotion they need or money to put together a top notch album.

So, a lot of cats are turning to the independent side of things, where if you have the hustle, it can take you a long way and make you more money than any industry rapper will every see. But it's a double edged sword, because most independent west coast rappers have no idea how to market albums or finance projects either. So it's a case of signing to a major label and getting lost in obscurity or going independent and putting a shitty album out. And in the long run, at least with an album under their belts, they can do local shows where most of the revenue is anyways. No one outside of the west may hear of a particular artist, but they can make a decent living staying independent and local.

It's just the fact that everyone thinks they are doing something completely different when they aren't. Or if they are, they aren't following the current trends in music and make off-the-wall, out-of-nowhere type music, and most people don't like it. There are some fortunate rappers who actually do different music like Tech N9ne, E-40, etc. and can truly say they are different. But most just use that "different" label to get people to see what all the hype is about.

that's just the indie aspect. what about a cat like scott storch...he has a label doesn't he? What is it really doing that he couldn't just do on aftermath if he was a little more humble? What artist on aftermath doesn't have a label? can't they pyramid the money without having to establish a new company?

and I'm just saying, there aren't any big labels on the west anymore, like a def jam you know? A major label with a bunch of west coast talent dropping bombs and this is because no one is willing to work with anyone else, it's all so go for self you know? and if they would work together to make it go down like it should...they'd be in the same place as the east and south.

-T

There have never been that many major record labels on the west though. Death Row, Aftermath, Ruthless, Sick Wid It, Short Records, Lynch Mob Records...and that's all I can think of that have gone platinum or gold. And without NWA, there would be 4 less labels on that list. Most of the bay cats in the early 90s were scooped up by Jive. Def Jam signed a couple artists like SCC and Jayo.

But you are right. Most big time artists don't need their own labels. But they make them because they get more creative control and it gets them an extra point or two on album sales which is pretty pointless since they won't even recoup until they hit gold anyways. The artists all still roll together, its just the fact that they feel like they are doing it themselves is what has them making labels. I know if I was an famous artist or producer, I wouldn't want to stick to someone else's agenda.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 11:12:38 PM »
The thing is though, the south and the east are selling records and getting major radio spins. A lot of the labels don't give a damn about the west coast, and if someone from the west is lucky enough to get a contract on a big label, they don't the promotion they need or money to put together a top notch album.

So, a lot of cats are turning to the independent side of things, where if you have the hustle, it can take you a long way and make you more money than any industry rapper will every see. But it's a double edged sword, because most independent west coast rappers have no idea how to market albums or finance projects either. So it's a case of signing to a major label and getting lost in obscurity or going independent and putting a shitty album out. And in the long run, at least with an album under their belts, they can do local shows where most of the revenue is anyways. No one outside of the west may hear of a particular artist, but they can make a decent living staying independent and local.

It's just the fact that everyone thinks they are doing something completely different when they aren't. Or if they are, they aren't following the current trends in music and make off-the-wall, out-of-nowhere type music, and most people don't like it. There are some fortunate rappers who actually do different music like Tech N9ne, E-40, etc. and can truly say they are different. But most just use that "different" label to get people to see what all the hype is about.

that's just the indie aspect. what about a cat like scott storch...he has a label doesn't he? What is it really doing that he couldn't just do on aftermath if he was a little more humble? What artist on aftermath doesn't have a label? can't they pyramid the money without having to establish a new company?

and I'm just saying, there aren't any big labels on the west anymore, like a def jam you know? A major label with a bunch of west coast talent dropping bombs and this is because no one is willing to work with anyone else, it's all so go for self you know? and if they would work together to make it go down like it should...they'd be in the same place as the east and south.

-T

There have never been that many major record labels on the west though. Death Row, Aftermath, Ruthless, Sick Wid It, Short Records, Lynch Mob Records...and that's all I can think of that have gone platinum or gold. And without NWA, there would be 4 less labels on that list. Most of the bay cats in the early 90s were scooped up by Jive. Def Jam signed a couple artists like SCC and Jayo.

But you are right. Most big time artists don't need their own labels. But they make them because they get more creative control and it gets them an extra point or two on album sales which is pretty pointless since they won't even recoup until they hit gold anyways. The artists all still roll together, its just the fact that they feel like they are doing it themselves is what has them making labels. I know if I was an famous artist or producer, I wouldn't want to stick to someone else's agenda.

they do still roll together but if they would all be on one label we'd see more the chronic-like/chronic level product again.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram