Author Topic: J-Flexx Interview PART 2!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 874 times)

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
J-Flexx Interview PART 2!!!!!!!!!!
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »

Picking up where we left off 2 weeks ago, I think you 2Pac and Deathrow fans will appreciate this one, J-Flexx put his heart into this interview show support back to him and buy his new album 'Billboard Dreams'......

....Deathrow Records....

MrMakaveli.net: How did you meet up with Dr. Dre and join Death Row Records?

J-Flexx: I was in LA 12 hours and bumped into Dre at the red light on Sunset and Cahuenga. He pulled over and took my demo and gave us some passes to a party he was having. When we got to the party he told me my shit was dope and it was on like that. It all happened so fast it had 2 be fate.

MrMakaveli.net: Did you ever get paid for the songs you did that Dr Dre had taken the credit for like cali love, keep their heads ringin', and natural born killers etc?

J-Flexx: Yeah I got paid. But not what I should have on some of the songs. For instance “California Love” had so many samples that everybody wanted a piece of the royalties… but I was new to the game back then and what I thought was a lot of money for my work was actually peanuts. Don’t get in this game if you aint came to play.

MrMakaveli.net: As many of the Deathrow fans know you did the original unreleased & unheard version of 'Natural Born Killers' which has dr dre & sam sneed on it only, did you ever lay down a verse for it or was it only inteded to be Dre and Sneed on the track? Can you give us any other information about the track the fans may not know?

J-Flexx: Natural Born Killaz was the first song I wrote for Dre. It was originally Dre and Sneed but when Cube heard how I had Dre spittin he offered to do the hook. From there he wrote a verse and Sneed did his own song on the soundtrack called “U Better Recognize”.

MrMakaveli.net: How did Tupac end up being in the music video for 'Natural Born Killerz'? Was it your idea? Suge's? How was the atmosphere around the videoshoot when being shot?

J-Flexx: Im not sure whose idea it was but Pac was on Interscope then and that was Death Rows parent company. Video shoot are cool, girls everywhere.

MrMakaveli.net: Can you tell us information about the following original songs unreleased you did called -

- Street Scholars
- Stayin Alive

J-Flexx:

- Street Scholars – was a song I wrote for Sam Sneed because that was the name of his album. When Sneed left I kept the song. Me and Sneed worked well together. He’s a dope ass producer.

- Stayin Alive - - was written around the same time Dre and Suge was splitting up. My eyes were being opened about the game right about then and that track was slappin! That’s a Barney Rubble beat.

- 911 – is just a commercial for a charity called 911 for kids… but kids loved it. I’m surprised y’all knew that one.

MrMakaveli.net:And could you share the full tracks with us or snippets?

J-Flexx: I don’t know where those tracks are.. hell, I need copies of those.

MrMakaveli.net: In 97/98 you changed to a more positive vibe with the songs on the Gang Related sndtrck. You also performed at a '911' kids banquet and another event to benefit kids with Shaq called Shaqtacular. What prompted the change in direction?

J-Flexx: My manager Karen Chatman (KC) was the force behind that move. She was deeply affected by the deaths and the violence and felt that we had to do something. I can’t take credit for that because I still wanted to make gangster shit back then.

MrMakaveli.net: Do you have any copies of your old Deathrow work? And have you considered selling your original unreleased Deathrow album on the net much like O.F.T.B are doing now and how tha oultawz did with the 'Retribution' Album?

J-Flexx: All the Deathrow stuff is in Suge’s vault. He got a vault full of hits but trust me.. if it was dope he’ll get it out to the public eventually.

MrMakaveli.net: Where is Sean Thomas these days? Any chance of you guys working together soon?

J-Flexx: Sean “Barney Rubble” Thomas is chillin like a villain. He did about half of my album and he is working on a country album as well. He’s probably the most talented person I know.

MrMakaveli.net: You did 2 songs for a Batman made TV special called 'Return to the Batcave'. Can you tell us about that and those songs?

J-Flexx: CBS did a Batman movie with the stars of the original Batman and those songs were part of the score. It was Batman but with a hiphop twist.

MrMakaveli.net: Are you still in contact with Dr Dre or Sam Sneed and if so how is your relationship with them these days? And do you have any plans on working with them in the near future?

J-Flexx: I talk to Sneed every now and then. He is an amazing dude. He beat brain cancer… that’s gangsta. Me and Dre don’t talk but there’s no beef. Dre is about his money and I’m about mine.

MrMakaveli.net: When Dr. Dre left Death Row Records did Suge Knight put the responsibility of #1 Hit's upon your shoulders? When Dre left how was the atmosphere at tha row and did you feel more pressure to get hits out or work more?

J-Flexx: When Dre left Suge took us all to the Bahamas to work on Deathrows Greatest Hits. It was always pressure when it’s that many dope rappers on one label. But pressure makes coal into diamonds

MrMakaveli.net: What was it like working with Tha Realest on the tracks on the gang related sound track?

J-Flexx: KC found Tha Realest in Texas and introduced him to Suge. He was out on wax before he even had a deal. That’s the little homey right there but he was a wild dude back then.

MrMakaveli.net: The Gang Related soundtrack that was put out, is that how 2Pac intended it to be put out or were some of 2Pac's songs cut/added to the soundtrack? If so which songs were added/cut from it?

J-Flexx: Deathrow soundtracks always featured various artists from the label. The soundtracks were your chance to shine. I’m pretty sure it went the way he would have wanted it.

MrMakaveli.net: Again with the Gang Related soundtrack were there any Deathrow Artist's songs cut from the album and if so which?

J-Flexx: I think everybody that submitted something dope got on the album. It was a double CD.

MrMakaveli.net: Is there any funny or shocking stories you can share with the fans whilst you were at Deathrow Records?

J-Flexx: Feds were following us in the Bahamas, oh and one holiday season Suge had a toy giveaway in Compton and fools started fightin at the toy giveaway!

MrMakaveli.net: Who were your favourite artists to work with whilst at Tha Row and why?

J-Flexx: All of ‘em. But my favorite was probably Lady of Rage & Kurupt. I respected their lyricism. They are both ridiculous on a track.

MrMakaveli.net: Can you give us in as much detail as possible on your unreleased Deathrow album such as what it was called, which artists were appearing on it, how many songs, titles, etc etc?

J-Flexx: We actually were gonna name that album either “Stayin Alive’ or ‘Billboard Dreams’. We had Danny Boy, Daz and Sneed. But I never quite finished the album when all the drama happened.

MrMakaveli.net: Why did Suge Knight decided not to release your Solo album? Do you hold this against Suge?

J-Flexx: Suge was locked up and he was the only one that could run The Row effectively. Me and Suge are still homeys. I was a ghost writer but he saw me as an artist. But I was new to the label and there was a long line of albums that had to get out before me. I personally believe they had it out for Suge because he was too real for corporate America

MrMakaveli.net: Did you shoot any other videos besides 'who been there, who done that' whilst on Tha Row? If so can you tell us what other videos you did on there and what they called?

J-Flexx: Me and Sneed shot a video for “Lady Heroin” but it never got released. The song wound up being me & Rage on the “Gridlocked” soundtrack.

MrMakaveli.net: How did you feel about the likes of Y.G.D Tha Topp Dawg and Tha Realest being drafted into Death Row to replace Snoop Dogg and Tupac?

J-Flexx: Its no different than Puffy signing Shine cause he sounded like Biggie. I worked with Realest and YGD and they both got they own styles. But the influences are definitely there.

MrMakaveli.net: There has been alot of talk surrounding Deathrow that alot of its producers and artists were mistreated, abused and beaten up, did you see anything whilst there you can share with the fans or is it all bull?

J-Flexx: Nobody got it that didn’t have it coming to them.

MrMakaveli.net: Did you get to work with 2Pac whilst on Deathrow? If so can you tell us about that and what tracks you may have done together including titles of the songs?

J-Flexx: Just California Love. Pac moved 100 miles a minute, he could write a song in 15-20 minutes hooks and all. He was the shit!

MrMakaveli.net: What is your favourite 2Pac song and why?

J-Flexx: Probably Dear Mama. It gave me goose-bumps. If you love your mama you felt that one.

MrMakaveli.net: How was Tupac as a person and do you have any funny or shocking stories about Pac you witnessed whilst on Tha Row that you can share with us?

J-Flexx: There was no gray area with Pac. You were either friend for foe… no in the middle. You had to respect that about him. He was a passionate dude, I was supposed to go to the fight that night but I didn’t go. But I remember when he first got out and I met him and I was like “Good to see you dog” and he was like “Shit its good to be seen!” We used to have some dope ass concert/parties at Suges club in Vegas. You’ll never get all those people in the same place again.

MrMakaveli.net: When Tupac was murdered what was the mood around Death Row (Obviously sadness and mourning) but in term's of friction between artists and owner over the murder and future plans?

J-Flexx: Everybody was on alert because those were dangerous times. But this is LA and you gotta watch your back out here. Regardless Deathrow took a huge blow when Pac died.

MrMakaveli.net: Why and when did you decided to leave Death Row Records, and do you still keep in contact with any past inmates?

J-Flexx: I never officially left Death Row until my contact expired in 2002, but in my heart its Deathrow 4 life. I’m honored to be a part of that history. I’ll bump into an inmate every now and then. I seen YGD about 6 months ago.

MrMakaveli.net: Would you go back and do any more work for Suge Knight if he asked you to?

J-Flexx: Yeah! Suge is still the homey.

MrMakaveli.net: How do you feel about what Suge was/ is attempting to do in terms of reviving Death Row Records, do you feel Suge messed up in not releasing all these Deathrow Artists albums such as your own, Danny Boy, Crooked I's etc?

J-Flexx: If I had 100 unreleased Tupac songs I would probably focus on putting those out. Everybody else can wait. A Pac song is like a Beatles song, plus its hard to run a label when Feds are determined to shut you down. I think Suge did what he could.

MrMakaveli.net: What was/is life like after leaving Death Row Records? If you could rewind time and miss out not going to Deathrow records, would you and why?

J-Flexx: After Deathrow I stayed lowkey and behind the scenes. That was a rollercoaster ride. But I wouldn’t change a thing. I soaked up alot of game on the Row.

....After Deathrow Records....

MrMakaveli.net: What are his future plans musically?

J-Flexx: Keep makin dope shit, maybe get into R&B production as well and keep writing.

MrMakaveli.net: Is there any artists now in the rap game you would like to really work with or any producers and why them?

J-Flexx: DJ Quik is my favorite, Nas, Anybody that is dope I can collab with.

MrMakaveli.net: How have things changed for you in the music game of the last 10 years?

J-Flexx: Its not about a major label deal anymore, sell your music out the trunk , over the net, however. Indie hustle is the future.

MrMakaveli.net: What do you think of HipHop/Rap these days?

J-Flexx: Most songs on the radio now are just a bunch of hooks put together. Lyrics aren’t as important as they used to be in the industry now. Its all about catchy and less emphasis on content. Its still some dope music out there though.

MrMakaveli.net: Thank you very much for your time we understand there were alot of questions! Finally is there anything you would like to add or comment on for the J-Flexx army of fans out there?

J-Flexx: Thank you all in advance for picking up the album “Billboard Dreams’ on march 27th. Peace!

Okka

Re: J-Flexx Interview PART 2!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 03:43:06 AM »
J.Flexx is a dope rapper, "Stayin Alive" & "Street Scholars" are tha shit 8)

$Eg2$

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 02:12:33 PM »
Thats dope mad props Inmate

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:36:54 PM »
up

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 07:43:23 AM »
J.Flexx is a dope rapper, "Stayin Alive" & "Street Scholars" are tha shit 8)

Fo sho.

Props on the post, Inmate 8)

mikeOG

• Quadruple OG
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:21:38 PM »
nice interview, his album is out tomorrow heres the samples good stuff

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7337942/a/Billboard+Dreams.htm