Author Topic: Should Dr Dre Retire before Detox?  (Read 1034 times)

DreTendo

• Lil Geezy
Should Dr Dre Retire before Detox?
« on: March 28, 2007, 03:17:13 PM »
I posted this a few weeks ago on Aftermatmusic, I just wanted to know what you guys think?

irst I have to say, Dr Dre is in my opinion the greatest producer of all time. Not just Hip hop, music full stop and I have almost 99% of the tracks that Dre has put out. I get excited when I know a new Dre track is coming, and if I look at the most played songs on my ipod the majority are Dre produced.

I feel that the after the Big Bang Dre has been falling off HARD! Let me list the tracks that he has done

Lost Ones (Decent Song, but nowhere near Dre's normal quality)

30 Something ( So average it's almost bad)

Trouble (Really Good)

Minority Report (Brilliant)

Boss Up (Good, but it's Busta Rhyme's 'Everybody Rise' that he has re-produced)

Round Here (Good, but it's Dido's 'Thankyou that he has re-produced)

Imagine (Good but again not up to his usual standards)

Get Low (Amazing)

Hustlers (Really good but drums sounded a bit weak)

You Ain’t Going Nowhere (Average)

Slow Your Roll (Best song on album, but doesn't even sound like a Dre record)

Hold on (Horrible)

So out of 12 beats only three are 'Dr Dre' quality. This is not a good sign for Detox, I am no longer hyped for the album, and everyday for the last 2-3 years I check the internet for the slightest bit of info on this album. Right now I am seriously pissed off. I never thought i would say this but Dre is not that good anymore.

I hope I am wrong but I at the moment i don't just think Detox will not live up to the hype I actually think it will be a big letdown. I JUST HOPE I AM WRONG.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:26:37 PM by DreTendo »

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
Re: Should Dr Dre Retire before Detox?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 03:23:36 PM »
detox will be brilliant becuase it is dr dre.

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You can't spell Dilate without L.A.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »
No way he should retire just because WE all waited at least 5 Years for This DAMN album.

Imagine what will happen when this shit really drops this year, this forum will be shut down lol

Blu Lacez

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 03:37:43 PM »
No way he should retire just because WE all waited at least 5 Years for This DAMN album.

Imagine what will happen when this shit really drops this year, this forum will be shut down lol

^
  SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Nima and Co..will hafta to work double time..to accomdate all the post!!

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 03:42:29 PM »

^
  SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Nima and Co..will hafta to work double time..to accomdate all the post!!

no shit.... maybe they will have to hire some more mods

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 03:46:04 PM »
I see what you're saying, But Ima go through your post in bold letters to interject my opinion:

I posted this a few weeks ago on Aftermatmusic, I just wanted to know what you guys think?

irst I have to say, Dr Dre is in my opinion the greatest producer of all time. Not just Hip hop, music full stop and I have almost 99% of the tracks that Dre has put out. I get excited when I know a new Dre track is coming, and if I look at the most played songs on my ipod the majority are Dre produced.

I feel that the after the Big Bang Dre has been falling off HARD! Let me list the tracks that he has done

Lost Ones (Decent Song, but nowhere near Dre's normal quality) Seriously, the production on this track is one of the msot gorgeous pieces of music I've ever heard and i've listened to an ungodly amount of rock, jazz, funk, blues etc.

30 Something ( So average it's almost bad) it's extra great to see dre do funk without gangsterness. the key to this track is the chords the piano hits.I can almost guarantee you the keys are the reason jay picked this track for the topic. there's a subtle and jazzy maturity to those chords.

Trouble (Really Good) very innovative. sick drums, and cool sample. not my favorite, but an undeniably succesful experiment. i wish dre would have given nas this and jay the hustlers beat. they are similar.

Minority Report (Brilliant) I wish Dre would have given this to a more deserving rapper, but yes this piece is dre level.

Boss Up (Good, but it's Busta Rhyme's 'Everybody Rise' that he has re-produced) I think you mean boss life, i've never heard the busta song you refer to, but this song is sexy mature funk and what else could we ask of dre 15 years after the chronic? To me the melodies and instrumentation on this song are pristine. seriously, it grows on me every time. the guitar strums throughout-sick. drums-sick. bass guitar-sick. piano keys-icing mayne.

Round Here (Good, but it's Dido's 'Thankyou that he has re-produced) Seriously, he gangstered this shit out so hard. The subtle coo's of ther and b bitches in the background are key man. listen headphones to the song once and then from then on you'll be able to hear the coos in the whip/system and you will be hooked forever. the way he expounds upon and layers the two chord change of this beat is masterfully musical. and the piano keys during the later choruses are so simple yet so perfect. this shit bangs like anything that has ever banged.

^^^these last two you criticized for being samples but
a)dre has done tons of original music so it's not like his ability to make shit from scratch is in debate
b) where would hip hop and music in general be if not for samples, covers, remakes, updates and in this case variations on a theme?

Imagine (Good but again not up to his usual standards) This shit is as gorgeous as 'lost ones' for all the same reasons. beautiful and simple.

Get Low (Amazing) One of my least favorites of his new shit, I hate hate hate hate hate hate synthesized strings! they are the corniest sound known to man, and i think dre knows it so it's like a challenge for him to make a banger or a few from them just to show he's that dope. the beat is a succesful experiment in the vein of 'trouble' but i like trouble better.

Hustlers (Really good but drums sounded a bit weak) I thought the drums were the dopest part of this beat. they are actually the same drums as xxplosive if you give it a listen. i like this beat a little more than 'get low' and a little less than trouble. once more, a succesful experiment. this song, trouble, get low, and in da club would all fit on an album together easily.

You Ain’t Going Nowhere (Average) I have not heard this yet

Slow Your Roll (Best song on album, but doesn't even sound like a Dre record) This is not a dre record

Hold on (Horrible) I heard a snippet of this song and it sounded very melodic and I liked what i heard but i have not given it a thorough listen yet.

So out of 12 beats only three are 'Dr Dre' quality. This is not a good sign for Detox, I am no longer hyped for the album, and everyday for the last 2-3 years I check the internet for the slightest bit of info on this album. Right now I am seriously pissed off. I never thought i would say this but Dre is not that good anymore.

I hope I am wrong but I at the moment i don't just think Detox will not live up to the hype I actually think it will not be very good. I JUST HOPE I AM WRONG.

so by my count, that's 9 beats that are dre quality, but that's all imo.

btw, detox, if it happens, at the very least will be a slammin album. I can see him fucking it up with g unit and jay z and alot of those synth string beats that he's been fucking with but if he doesn't do that(and even that would be a dope album, way doper than most of the shit it will come out around) then it will be a classic no doubt.

-T
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:52:22 PM by Tanjibility-The Dangerous Crew Movement »

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

hey hey hey hey smoke weed everyday

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • rip bad news brown!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 03:49:54 PM »
if you think dre will put bullshit on detox than your an idiot

Fatdodger

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WHUT UP FRED
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 03:59:24 PM »
He should retire after that N.W.A Reunion Album

REAL WESTCOAST G

I REP THAT WEST

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »
nah world class wreckin' cru reunuion  ;D

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 04:10:40 PM »
i'm near positive if dre were to come out 2moro and retire, and say detox won't come out, he'd probably be dead by 2 maybe 2 & a half hours (if lucky) :-\
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

DreTendo

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »

Not an idiot, just overly paranoid

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 04:24:19 PM »
i'm near positive if dre were to come out 2moro and retire, and say detox won't come out, he'd probably be dead by 2 maybe 2 & a half hours (if lucky) :-\

you'd see half od the dangerous crew movement storming the bastille with pitchforks and torches. Timbotheking would be the war profiteer, talking about he knew dre would do this anyway.

word

-T

westcoastavengers.com

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 04:26:38 PM »
Dre is gonna make sure Detox is no BS he's in the studio putting in work, u can't go by his production on other people's albums cause he just sends them beats and they pick out whatever they like

Lunatic

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 04:28:32 PM »

you'd see half od the dangerous crew movement storming the bastille with pitchforks and torches. Timbotheking would be the war profiteer, talking about he knew dre would do this anyway.

word

-T

lol, 4real homie. I'd be on them front lines myself. Shit, even if the motherfucker drops without Knoc on it, I might riot anyway ;D

I have a pretty good feeling i'll be rioting :'(
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 04:31:59 PM »

word

-T

lol, 4real homie. I'd be on them front lines myself. Shit, even if the motherfucker drops without Knoc on it, I might riot anyway ;D

I have a pretty good feeling i'll be rioting :'(

it's Knoc's karma for replacing Ren on Bang bang

-T

westcoastavengers.com