Author Topic: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography  (Read 8957 times)

floatin_above_everything

Re: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2007, 09:10:36 PM »
Kurupt is smart but not in the same way say...a cat like dubcnn is smart, you know? I think Kurupt's as smart as Nas at least.

King: you can look it at like that sure, but I was just assessing each DP album.

-T

Music wise?

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2007, 10:43:47 PM »
Kurupt is smart but not in the same way say...a cat like dubcnn is smart, you know? I think Kurupt's as smart as Nas at least.

King: you can look it at like that sure, but I was just assessing each DP album.

-T

Music wise?

yeah, didn't you read the first post of this thread?

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2007, 11:22:18 AM »

-T

Music wise?

-T

I had the second post so I did. And Kurupt is my favorite like I said, but I don't think his lyrics were ever as smart as Nas's were. I never felt he got as deep as Nas, but was a more vicious rhymer. The only time he was at that point was during Dogg Food, Gotti would be my Westcoast favorite and Nas and Buckshot ( who was on Kuruption ) are my favorite East coast.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2007, 11:50:43 AM »

-T

Music wise?

-T

I had the second post so I did. And Kurupt is my favorite like I said, but I don't think his lyrics were ever as smart as Nas's were. I never felt he got as deep as Nas, but was a more vicious rhymer. The only time he was at that point was during Dogg Food, Gotti would be my Westcoast favorite and Nas and Buckshot ( who was on Kuruption ) are my favorite East coast.
'

I agree, Kurupt's not quite as smart as Nas rap-wise but I don't think Nas is necessarily that much smarter of a person. but hey, we don't really know.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2007, 08:47:07 PM »

-T

Music wise?

-T

'

I agree, Kurupt's not quite as smart as Nas rap-wise but I don't think Nas is necessarily that much smarter of a person. but hey, we don't really know.

-T

I didn't say that homie, I just meant that Nas comes off as a fool in interviews while Kurupt sounds more level headed. Music wise, they are the opposites of there interview selves.

XaNdEr

« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2007, 11:46:12 PM »
lol i made the nas kurupt comparison cuz of "smart" rap nas was the first one to come to my mind, could also have said krs-one, guru or a cat like that, you know.

kurupt in his lyrics just sounds straight stupid. simple. i dunno bout interviews havent read too many of em, so i cant judge, but this thread was about music, and kurupt makes stupid music, nas on the other hand reflects on things and stuff, you know thats different. but i like both styles. im down with any good dpg release and any good other release put out.  8)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2007, 11:58:56 PM »
I don't necessarily feel all of Kurupt's music is stupid. I was about to list a bunch of songs but I realized it would be better just to say that simple does not necessarily equal stupid.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

XaNdEr

« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2007, 12:02:33 AM »
Well it doesnt need an explanation as well that Kurupt's lyrics on, lets say, Same Day Different Shit are not too smart, and i can name other songs/albums.

His lyrics arent simple, maybe nowadays, but back in the Chronic days he didnt say shit either, but he used metaphors etc. his lyrics werent simple back then, but just stupid cuz he never really said anything besides the usual bitch stuff and brag and boast stuff.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2007, 12:13:30 AM »
Well it doesnt need an explanation as well that Kurupt's lyrics on, lets say, Same Day Different Shit are not too smart, and i can name other songs/albums.

His lyrics arent simple, maybe nowadays, but back in the Chronic days he didnt say shit either, but he used metaphors etc. his lyrics werent simple back then, but just stupid cuz he never really said anything besides the usual bitch stuff and brag and boast stuff.

Uh...well I guess that's subjective. I like songs like 'good azz day' and 'hittin' donuts in the street' as well as 'game', 'under pressure', 'it's a set up' all for the lyricality and message of the songs. good azz day and hittin donuts conveys a simple happiness in the simple things in life. it's a perfectly mature and relatable feeling to have and communicate. Game from Kuruption is dope because spitting game about game, and that takes cleverness. under pressure conveys an understanding of the human struggle in a simplistic way that hip hop often does 'we all are...under pressure' just like pac says 'don't stop, keep goin'' you know? a perfectly intelligent idea to communicate.

also songs like hollywood bank robbery, c-walkin cha cha cha, and loose cannons detail heists in clever ways and I don't think anything clever can also be called 'dumb'. also songs like 'trylogy', 'fuck da world' and even chronic/DS era stuff he plays with words in complex ways and all that requires intelligence. he references demons like nosferatu and shit, and such imagery always colors lyrics.

furthermore, I find anyone doing something musically well intelligent so if Miles Davis' ain't saying shit when he blows his horn...is his music's message stupid? Nah, he's damn good at making damn good music come out of his instrument. Kurupt (at his best) can be considered a virtuoso the way a cat like Dizzy Gilespie is a virtuoso you know? I don't see anything stupid about that...

I think you are referring to the lack of progressivity and repetitiveness of his topics which I can totally agree on. I can even say that he has alot of stupid songs but to leave it at 'Kurupt makes stupid music' I think is kind of a ridiculous blanket statement.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2007, 10:05:54 AM »
I thought Kurupt's lyrics on Dogg Chit were as tight as they have been in recent times, he killed the 3 bonus cuts as well as songs as 1 N 1 Out, Mo Murder, Where U From, he does end his bars with nigga and muthafucka alot so it is stupid to some but he rhymes the word before it so it doesn't really bother me that much

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2007, 10:09:11 AM »
I thought Kurupt's lyrics on Dogg Chit were as tight as they have been in recent times, he killed the 3 bonus cuts as well as songs as 1 N 1 Out, Mo Murder, Where U From, he does end his bars with nigga and muthafucka alot so it is stupid to some but he rhymes the word before it so it doesn't really bother me that much

exactly +1

-T

westcoastavengers.com

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2007, 10:13:33 AM »

exactly +1

-T

+1 to u homey

d-nice

« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2007, 10:23:14 AM »
Why does Same Day Different Shit get so much hate on this board?

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2007, 10:31:31 AM »

i gotta give it some more listens but I'll give you a few reasons

a)songs feel like daz/kurupt growing through the motions, not really passionate or trying hard to sound exceptional or be musically creative.
b)same things I don't like about DC, the funky tracks are dope but the dark murderous tracks usually don't work as well imo
c)I know I always say albums need to be shorter but what I mean by this is the albums need to be denser with the good tracks, you know? This album is short and not that dense with dopeness so had it been longer there would have been more dope tracks.

I like Kurupt's intro alot too though, now that i think about it.
-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »

i gotta give it some more listens but I'll give you a few reasons

a)songs feel like daz/kurupt growing through the motions, not really passionate or trying hard to sound exceptional or be musically creative.
b)same things I don't like about DC, the funky tracks are dope but the dark murderous tracks usually don't work as well imo
c)I know I always say albums need to be shorter but what I mean by this is the albums need to be denser with the good tracks, you know? This album is short and not that dense with dopeness so had it been longer there would have been more dope tracks.

I like Kurupt's intro alot too though, now that i think about it.
-T

I don't think it is Dogg Food quality but it has alot of dope cuts on there. My track of choice right now is Accessories (Nina Breeda) and Gangstas Pt 2 is the most lyrical, energetic Kurupt I have heard on the mic in a long time. I thought the length was cool, and it sounded like he took his time with it.