Author Topic: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography  (Read 8915 times)

XaNdEr

Re: Thoughts on Dogg Pound after finally hearing the discography
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2007, 07:07:48 AM »
i dont want to smash dreams....BUT...

dogg pound dont have classics....

everyone in here says dogg pound has only good albums, has classics and all, but you know, it is to be expected when on a westcoast forum. i like them too, and i would love to share your opinions, but i cant.

dogg pound never have been a major force in hiphop. and no, dogg food wasnt a major force either. it was coming out at the controversial death row times, at the time it was the biggest label and anything would go at least gold. the sales of dogg food are not the (whole) cause of daz & kurupt.

next to that album they dont have any high sellers (maybe you can count kuruption, streetz iz a mutha or revenge, retaliation and getback to the bestsellers in their catalogue)

but the fact remains dogg pound never had a big influence on the game, and are considered washed up by many "outsiders". kurupt was a hard spittin' mc on the chronic and doggystyle but after that his lyrics quickly changed.

nowadays you cant hear any dpg song without daz saying the word "nigga" 10 times in 2 minutes and kurupt saying "bitch suck my dick", "muthafucka" etc. half of their lyrics is cussing nowadays, and that is NOT what lyrics are about.

i know you gonna say they make gangsta rap and the west always had cusswords (n.w.a. etc) but even ice cube didnt use kurupt's language in all his classics (neither did he on his newer albums, but that is not important).

the reason they sell still is because they have a loyal fanbase all around the globe, and even though i bought dogg chit too, i have to say dogg pound never was a big time act...

let the hate commence cause im going against the grain...

XaNdEr

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2007, 07:15:52 AM »
and i just thought of another point, they are FAR from marketable to sell loads. daz couldnt even sell a very average amount on so so def. his album was ok, nothing outstanding and a little bit short maybe, but it was a tight one. still i doubt that with much promotion sales would have gone way up. they are just not marketable (anymore).

the album i like the most of all dpg-related albums is kuruption, because you get 23 tracks for your money, and every track is so different from the others. but let's face it, outside dogg fodd they never sold much, showing us that the "big mainstream public" doesnt want the dogg pound.

they have good albums, but it takes more then just a "good album" or "no wack songs" to have a classic. illmatic is classic. reasonable doubt is classic. amerikkka's most wanted is classic. ready to die is classic. those albums influenced many other rappers and albums based on those foundations, but dogg pound never had this.

d-nice

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2007, 07:16:34 AM »
i dont want to smash dreams....BUT...

dogg pound dont have classics....

everyone in here says dogg pound has only good albums, has classics and all, but you know, it is to be expected when on a westcoast forum. i like them too, and i would love to share your opinions, but i cant.

dogg pound never have been a major force in hiphop. and no, dogg food wasnt a major force either. it was coming out at the controversial death row times, at the time it was the biggest label and anything would go at least gold. the sales of dogg food are not the (whole) cause of daz & kurupt.

next to that album they dont have any high sellers (maybe you can count kuruption, streetz iz a mutha or revenge, retaliation and getback to the bestsellers in their catalogue)

but the fact remains dogg pound never had a big influence on the game, and are considered washed up by many "outsiders". kurupt was a hard spittin' mc on the chronic and doggystyle but after that his lyrics quickly changed.

nowadays you cant hear any dpg song without daz saying the word "nigga" 10 times in 2 minutes and kurupt saying "bitch suck my dick", "muthafucka" etc. half of their lyrics is cussing nowadays, and that is NOT what lyrics are about.

i know you gonna say they make gangsta rap and the west always had cusswords (n.w.a. etc) but even ice cube didnt use kurupt's language in all his classics (neither did he on his newer albums, but that is not important).

the reason they sell still is because they have a loyal fanbase all around the globe, and even though i bought dogg chit too, i have to say dogg pound never was a big time act...

let the hate commence cause im going against the grain...

Yeah you will get hate, but it's your opinion and I can respect that. For me personally Doggystyle and Dogg Food are classics. They have some classic songs and collabos but those 2 are classics to me. I disagree about the whole big time act thing. DPG was pretty big in they heyday, hype or no hype. You can generate hype. 2pac did it also and that hype helped him sell records. Same with Dogg Pound. Not as much hype as a Pac, but hype nonetheless. They had the world buzzing when New York, New York came out and I have been a fan since the Poetic Justice soundtrack.

d-nice

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2007, 07:22:52 AM »
I think loyalty killed their chemistry also. They both stayed a little too long on Death Row trying to be loyal to Suge and they went 4-5 years in between albums. That was the strength of that crew was the chemistry and it seems like they have it but not like what it used to be.

~Lucien~

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2007, 08:19:04 AM »
here is my rankings so ya know

1 dogg food 11/10

2 dillinger n gotti 10/10

3 dillinger n gotti 2 9/10

4 dogg chit 9/10

5 cali iz active 7/10

so my sayin CIA is weak is only compared to other dpg shit... ya know... compared to most other mufuckaz its dope... but as far as dpg shit is concerned it was not good enough

if you're a dpg fan for 15 years what you're sayin then that's an awful ranklist IMO...
the funny thing on this board is that almost nobody gives shit about mastering and tight production.
daz was a good producer in the death row days. but he can't compete to the new producers in 2007.
daz can't make a hit record no more. I dont wanna hear some '96 music. that music era is tight but we are in 2007.
real musician and hitmakers know what the people want. if daz still makes these beats he won't sell shit.
look at foesum. they still make that g-funk sound for ages. I want something new. and lyrics that I can relate to.
dogg food is a classic... and cali iz active was one of the best albums that came out that year. and that album wasnt that great.
my opinion on westcoast music in 2007 is that it is rushed to make some fast money. back in the days I had albums I bumped
months! now it is a week lol. too much shitty music nowadays... last good albums that came out that I can think of now are
blue carpet treatment, doc's advocate, trauma, and black-ty album. that's quality music. and I love the left side but like mykestro says
QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!

d-nice

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2007, 08:23:56 AM »
Yeah Daz needs to update his sound. Although there were a few beats I liked from Dogg Chit.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2007, 08:42:48 AM »
you gotta remember that sales don't make a good album, just because DPG haven't approached the 2 million sales of Dogg Food doesn't mean they haven't dropped classics, D&YG sold maybe 200k but is considered a classic by many west coast heads, I'm from NY and I consider it classic, I agree that they are no longer mainstream anymore and not capable of selling to the mass public but they can still drop dope albums

Lunatic

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 08:50:02 AM »
I respect your opinion Tanj, but I also do disagree. Like ppl said, the fact that Banner/Diddy/Paul Wall were on CIA, didn't ruin it for me at all. I actually like the track with Paul Wall!!. Ain't feelin the Diddy or Banner collabo tho. No doubt the album has it's bangers, that's a no brainer. But in the end, it's extremely inconsistent if you ask me. But the bangers on it, are extremely dope. But in the end, if I have to listen 2 a DP album ALL THE WAY THROUGH WITHOUT SKIPPING NO TRACKS, CIA will be EXTREMELY low on the list. With that said, if I got about 20-30 mins only, CIA would be quite high on the list (because the bangers are so good). In the end though, the 1st scenario is more important to me

I also dis-liked D&YGII. DPGC Music was the only 5/5 track for me, then there was 3 4/5 tracks, the rest were rated lower :-\

^^worst DP album to me, but DPGC Music is a str8 banger, 1 of the greatest DP tracks of all time

Yo Tanj, you missin the 2002 album (death row put it out) & the last of tha pound album. Both are more consistent then CIA & D&YGII

Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

~Lucien~

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 08:52:47 AM »
you gotta remember that sales don't make a good album, just because DPG haven't approached the 2 million sales of Dogg Food doesn't mean they haven't dropped classics, D&YG sold maybe 200k but is considered a classic by many west coast heads, I'm from NY and I consider it classic, I agree that they are no longer mainstream anymore and not capable of selling to the mass public but they can still drop dope albums

yes you are right about sales don't make a good album. look at Quik's carreer. but I was talking about my view. but I like music that is timeless. dogg chit is a far from a timeless record. but everbody got their own opinion and that's beautiful... that's why we are here

d-nice

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2007, 08:53:59 AM »
I don't even count 2002. They had a handful of unreleased tracks but other than that you had songs from D&YG, Dat Whoopty Woop and RAW on that album. Death Row put it out to fuck up D&YG sales at the time. Although it does have Every Single Day, one of the greatest DPG songs of all time.

Lunatic

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2007, 08:58:20 AM »
I don't even count 2002. They had a handful of unreleased tracks but other than that you had songs from D&YG, Dat Whoopty Woop and RAW on that album. Death Row put it out to fuck up D&YG sales at the time. Although it does have Every Single Day, one of the greatest DPG songs of all time.

the only 1 I recognized on 2002 that was a double, was the xzibit track ???

and bty, the track with 2pac, don't stop, is also a DP classic to me

d-nice

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2007, 09:01:03 AM »

Almost half of that album was repeats. The original Don't Stop with Nas on Last Of The Pound is a little bit better but yeah both are sick.

d-nice

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2007, 09:07:04 AM »

All the tracks in bold are repeats from albums that were already out before this album

1. Intro    
2. Roll Wit Us    
3. Just Doggin'  
4. Smoke - Kurupt/Snoop Dogg/The Relativez    
5. Gangsta Rap - The Dogg Pound    
6. 10 Til Midnight - Kurupt/SKG    
7. Living The Gangsta Life    
8. Don't Stop    
9. Change The Game (Remix)    
10. Crip Wit Us  
11. What Cha About - Kurupt    
12. Your Gyrlfriend 2 - Daz/Mac Shawn/Soopafly    
13. Feels Good    
14. Way Too Often - Soopafly/Kurupt    
15. It'z All About That Money - Daz

16. Every Single Day  

Lunatic

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2007, 09:12:34 AM »

All the tracks in bold are repeats from albums that were already out before this album

1. Intro   
2. Roll Wit Us     
3. Just Doggin'    
4. Smoke - Kurupt/Snoop Dogg/The Relativez     
5. Gangsta Rap - The Dogg Pound   
6. 10 Til Midnight - Kurupt/SKG     
7. Living The Gangsta Life     
8. Don't Stop   
9. Change The Game (Remix)      
10. Crip Wit Us 
11. What Cha About - Kurupt   
12. Your Gyrlfriend 2 - Daz/Mac Shawn/Soopafly   
13. Feels Good     
14. Way Too Often - Soopafly/Kurupt     
15. It'z All About That Money - Daz

16. Every Single Day 

damn, I didn't know that homie. I guess it went over my head because listen to sooo much music, and unless the songs are titled the same (which they clearly aren't, right?) then I may have some difficulty noticing

XaNdEr

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »
Lol at people saying D&YGII and CIA are inconsistent.

CIA >>>>> Dogg Chit.

Dogg Chit sounds much like its rushed, like Lucien-Al-Ism said before me, the mastering and sound to it just misses something. Soopafly suffers the same fate, his Bangin' Westcoast had the same bad mastering. The want the money for their albums but theyt put no effort in it.

That is what up with al lthe "bad" rap nowadays. Every rapper drops and album every 2 years, then starts promoting the album by touring 1 - 1,5 year and then starts to make another album. When Dogg Food came out, Daz and Kurupt had at least worked 2 - 3 years on it, if not longer. Nowadays all these albums getting rushed like a muthafucka and to me thats just fucking with your fans. They need to spend time in the studio and at least take the time to write some decent lyrics, not stuff like "shut the fuck up and eat my balls" which kurupt is so good at these days.

Some cats called him grown up, same with Daz. I heard/read a lot of posts (even read a Daz interview i believe) a while back theyre now on another level, theyre not in their youths anymore so they gotta talk on other shit. But to me it sounds their lyrics only grew more childish with time  :-\

I mean, i take a '92 Kurupt over a '07 one...back then he actually did his best, and even though he never had deep lyrics/songs, he still showcased great MC talent, nowdays hes one of the wackest rappers...right now, Young Joc >>>> Kurupt