Author Topic: Mom, I'm An Atheist...  (Read 281 times)

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Mom, I'm An Atheist...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »
LOL.

"I'm gonna assume that if this was the case, you would've said this"

"You can have your well-structured arguments but I will regard you as this and that, even if you don't admit it"

Shallow, don't waste your time.

my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 10:43:15 AM »
Ok, cool... I just don't buy your stance on certain things. You just know how argueable they are, so you're smart enough to make some p.c. comments here and there. I just think that ultimately, if this video showed a kid claiming that Jesus was born on Christmas or something, and the mother had been like "fuck outta here, the whole purpose of christmas is to push consumerism and people into buying stuff they don't need, dumb fuck", you wouldn't even have thought about "Oh, this kid is so rebellious towards his parents... must be a phase, being in puberty and all"... feeeeeel me? Now you can of course come back with a well-structured argument about this and that, but at the end of the day I will still regard you as someone less tolerant and more over-the-top than you would admit.

You can think what you want. You know me the person, not the poster, about as well as I know you. The truth, whether you believe it or not, is that I argue with devout Christians a hell of a lot more than I do athiests. I quite often get into debates on the street with evangelists who go around trying to convert people. Complete strangers who get fed up with me after about an hour because I make them question what they have pretened to know for so long. It's not to trick them, it's about accepting that they don't "know" anything. (Except this one crazy guy who kept screaming at me and telling me the holy spirit is here and angry and I better watch out for the wrath of God. I left that guy alone. I was afraid he may have had rabies and might've bitten me or something).

I don't adhere to the philosphy because I'm trying to be PC. I hate PC. But I hate closed mindedness even more. I'm open to anything, I just happen to have a particular faith that suits me. A faith I don't push on anyone else, here on the forum or in life. If my future children come to me one day as adults and tell me that they want nothing to do with christianity then so be it. Not my decision to make.If they do it as teens then I'll just ignore it as rebellion.

What exactly don't I tolerate that you do? And what's the over the top stuff? Just wondering.

P.S. if it were a teen that wanted to believe in Jesus and had athiest parents, it would depend on the style of it. In a similar sense it would have to be an evangelist kid and an overbearing athiest mother saying you'll get no gifts if you don't denounce God, and I'd still call them both jackasses. I may not need to post it because there'd probably be too many people posting the same thoughts over and again, but I wouldn't secretly say "good for you kid".

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 10:54:22 AM »
Ok, cool... I just don't buy your stance on certain things. You just know how argueable they are, so you're smart enough to make some p.c. comments here and there. I just think that ultimately, if this video showed a kid claiming that Jesus was born on Christmas or something, and the mother had been like "fuck outta here, the whole purpose of christmas is to push consumerism and people into buying stuff they don't need, dumb fuck", you wouldn't even have thought about "Oh, this kid is so rebellious towards his parents... must be a phase, being in puberty and all"... feeeeeel me? Now you can of course come back with a well-structured argument about this and that, but at the end of the day I will still regard you as someone less tolerant and more over-the-top than you would admit.

You can think what you want. You know me the person, not the poster, about as well as I know you. The truth, whether you believe it or not, is that I argue with devout Christians a hell of a lot more than I do athiests. I quite often get into debates on the street with evangelists who go around trying to convert people. Complete strangers who get fed up with me after about an hour because I make them question what they have pretened to know for so long. It's not to trick them, it's about accepting that they don't "know" anything. (Except this one crazy guy who kept screaming at me and telling me the holy spirit is here and angry and I better watch out for the wrath of God. I left that guy alone. I was afraid he may have had rabies and might've bitten me or something).

I don't adhere to the philosphy because I'm trying to be PC. I hate PC. But I hate closed mindedness even more. I'm open to anything, I just happen to have a particular faith that suits me. A faith I don't push on anyone else, here on the forum or in life. If my future children come to me one day as adults and tell me that they want nothing to do with christianity then so be it. Not my decision to make.If they do it as teens then I'll just ignore it as rebellion.

What exactly don't I tolerate that you do? And what's the over the top stuff? Just wondering.

P.S. if it were a teen that wanted to believe in Jesus and had athiest parents, it would depend on the style of it. In a similar sense it would have to be an evangelist kid and an overbearing athiest mother saying you'll get no gifts if you don't denounce God, and I'd still call them both jackasses. I may not need to post it because there'd probably be too many people posting the same thoughts over and again, but I wouldn't secretly say "good for you kid".

The problem is, that most people decide to follow a certain "faith" and then try to argue in whatever way they can that this is what's right. And that's the wrong approach, I think you should always make your very own view on certain things and then see what "faith" supports your view, then go a step further. Just like blind Bush-supporters, they "support their president 100%" and argue in favor of whatever the fuck he did, instead of comparing the actions to their very own views on things. This is a problem I think that is very common amongst deeply religious people. You argueing against devout Christians and crazy people is something I can therefore only support, and not necessarily because I'm an atheist.

I was just thinking you sounded pretty wounded inside and mad about that kid. When the main purpose of the vid was to show a crazy mother, you saw a rebellious kid the "mother should not even worry about"... whether there is truth to your assumption or not was never the issue to me.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 06:34:20 PM »

The problem is, that most people decide to follow a certain "faith" and then try to argue in whatever way they can that this is what's right. And that's the wrong approach, I think you should always make your very own view on certain things and then see what "faith" supports your view, then go a step further. Just like blind Bush-supporters, they "support their president 100%" and argue in favor of whatever the fuck he did, instead of comparing the actions to their very own views on things. This is a problem I think that is very common amongst deeply religious people. You argueing against devout Christians and crazy people is something I can therefore only support, and not necessarily because I'm an atheist.

I was just thinking you sounded pretty wounded inside and mad about that kid. When the main purpose of the vid was to show a crazy mother, you saw a rebellious kid the "mother should not even worry about"... whether there is truth to your assumption or not was never the issue to me.

I'm well aware of how most people argue their faith, and I disagree with that approach. Like I said many times in the past; I'm a Christian because it suits me. I feel comfortable in those shoes. I enjoy my relationship with Jesus. Whether he is real or a figment of my imagination doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I'm a spiritual type of person anyway and when I went around learning about other religions none of them grabbed me like the gospel did. That being said, I have never told someone that they need to read the gospel or tried to convert people who aren't christian. I spend alot of time explaining my interpretation to other Christians because I often find their interpretation wrong, as in morally wrong or blatantly contradictory to the texts. Like all those idiots that tell people to accept Jesus in your heart or go to hell. An athiest will never annoy or bother me as much as those nuts.

As for the mother. My anger and annoyance was aimed at her. She should know better as an adult and a parent. Kids go through phases and there was no reason to get so upset. I didn't comment on her approach because it was obviously stupid and didn't need further explaining. I was under the impression it was a bratty kid in general who pisses her off a lot and she was just angry, as well as a little misinformed, but something about that kid struck me as a goofball. Could I be wrong? Sure, but the whole thing could have been staged to. But even if it were staged there was a moral to the story that I was trying to convey; teenagers are idiots who don't know what they really think, so let them explore and give them space for their ideas.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 06:47:09 PM »
Shallow this is kind of off topic but what were the groups that che guevera murdered and tangible information exists concerning this point?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 06:50:44 PM by virtuoso »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 07:58:35 PM »
Shallow this is kind of off topic but what were the groups that che guevera murdered and tangible information exists concerning this point?

I thought it was common knowledge. I didn't really know much about the guy until Carlos Santana wore one of those famous Che shirts at the Oscars and the cuban American community went all up in arms about it. Ten I looked around and found a bunch of shit. Just type Che Guevara and murderer on google. I'm not saying he personally killed people. I don't know about that, but George Bush hasn't personally harmed a single Iraqi.

Maybe I'm wrong and it's a right wing smear campaign. I find it hard to believe that marxist inspired soviet style takeovers of countries can happen with out innocent people being executed. Grant ordered the deaths of a whole bunch of indians and people still praise him in the US.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 08:32:24 PM »

A valid point about communism and horrific violence they do go hand in hand thanks i will look into that.