Author Topic: Thoughts On [Hate Towards Quik]  (Read 329 times)

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
Thoughts On [Hate Towards Quik]
« on: April 14, 2007, 12:32:21 PM »
Quote from: R-Tistic
As for Quik doing something "different," he is, but it's definitely not his own

sound as someone said.

Well hell, it wasnt like he took a bunch of parliament/zapp/bootsy sampled-casettes on a giant ark to the westcoast in the form of his debut album either. If you are lucky enough to flip back to those underground tapes of Quik as 2x the mediorce rapper he [never was], then you'd see he was [still funky], but it was more sample based in the eastcoast fashion. You could essentially say from the underground tapes to his debut album were as equally "different" and as "definately not his own sound" as you could now.  Because even on 'Quik Is The Name' quik rode succes mainstream off the current mainstream sound. Quik even confirmed this in a recent interview. Our only beef is, we've seen him virtually come up as a young talented producer on [this sound]. As fans and people we've seen David Blaine [grow] off funk and the popularized westcoast sound in general through the 90's to where he is now and that[COULD] be deemed as a step in the wrong direction to some.

Quote from: BigG
One thing i can respect from DJ Quik is that hell tell u straight up that hes not

gonna go westcoast wit this album.

Question is, what makes something "Westcoast"? Is it 'severe shuffle/swing' in a song? 'Cool, and sometimes annoying' subtractive sinwaves? A 'reverbed-to-death' piano riff? [you could] make the arguement it is. But in reality that doesnt make it WestCoast. (Just the things [the westcoast is KNOWN FOR] Those are just 'staple sounds' the westcoast have used on route. Walk with me for a second. I mean in the early 90's the south had a huge funk influence too. (as we always have), but can I take Eightball & MJG's first album or Scarface's "I Seen A Man Die" and call them westcoast because they use the same staples the western albums/songs had? More directly, would that be fair? So what makes something "westcoast" besides it being from a "western" author/artist? We're not bound to just style of execution, thats how we communicate in hiphop, - Influence. Quik's had his share of pissing/shitting all over my region's music, and as a diehard fan it was always a kick in the nuts. See Quik has a crazy fanbase, but none of us have forgotten about the dissing. BUT now? I wouldnt go as far to say he's sucking southern dick, just healing wounds. For someone of Quik's status/catalog to do [this with us] (when he could just stay a grumpy motherfucker living in 95 the rest of his musical career) says a lot. Fam unfamilar with him and rationality like that can diss all they want (on either coast, third or west) but real recognize real.

Im Lovin' It
2: Southern influence on U.T.I
3: Southern influence on Trauma;
4: Letting Ludacris put "Spur Of The Moment" on [his album]
5: Ridin Dirty remix with Chamillionaire
6: Producing the new "Boyz N' The Hood" album
7: Propping Jeezy's "The Inspiration" party/album
8: Propping T.I's BET Awards performance
9: Recent interviews.

d-nice

Re: Thoughts On [Hate Towards Quik]
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 12:41:21 PM »
I am not going to base my opinion on Quik, AMG, or this album off of 1 record. I am going to wait like I do all the other albums I buy or download or whatever and sit down, give it a couple of spins and make a opinion then. I think it is cool Quik is trying new things. It worked on Trauma, so I am interested to see what The Fixxers will sound like.

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 12:45:16 PM »
yeah man, Quik's always been trying new things. Critics said his albums were becoming formulated by the time S+S hit and what did he do? Switch up the game with Rhythmalism. Also, its like you said, one record. hahaha.

on a slighter note I was looking from either a post from you or tanjibility to kick this off.

d-nice

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 12:59:57 PM »
I never judge a whole album by one single. That may have been the one the label picked or hey maybe AMG and Quik actually like the song. My homeboys did not like Rhythmalism when it first came out, now they love it. We got people saying the record is garbage before it even comes out.

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
Yes. That and marination. I and a lot of others hated Trauma when it first came out but just recently there was a topic saying it was one of the westcoast's best records period. So im thinking maybe the fans are just dwelling into the past too much while the artist(s) is/are steadily evolving. Then again we maybe people are just too quick to jump to conclusions, anyways though, +1 when I get the chance.

d-nice

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 01:13:53 PM »
Yes. That and marination. I and a lot of others hated Trauma when it first came out but just recently there was a topic saying it was one of the westcoast's best records period. So im thinking maybe the fans are just dwelling into the past too much while the artist(s) is/are steadily evolving. Then again we maybe people are just too quick to jump to conclusions, anyways though, +1 when I get the chance.

Music is so accessible now. You can throw it on a MP3 and go or just dowload it and listen to it at your computer. I think the easier music is to get people are taking less time to listen to the music. I find a artist like Quik I like to sit down and chill to his music. It's so layered and musical that I pick up different shit almost each time I listen to it. Quik to me always sounds like his worst critic so I am not going to sit here and say off of 1 single, which I actually dig, that he has fell off or he is selling out. People are saying the same thing about Dre so I really don't pay much mind to it.

Mygla

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Get Quiks dick [out of your mouth].

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 01:54:07 PM »
[[[[[[[[[[[its not dickriding, its the first time ive spoke on the shit, bring a meaningful point to this bitch while you're at it.]]]]]]]]]]]

d-nice

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 01:59:33 PM »
Get Quiks dick [out of your mouth].

What the fuck are you talking about? I just said I am going to listen to it when it comes out and form a opinion then. Pump ya brakes, homie.

Mygla

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
[[[[[[[[[[[its not dickriding, its the first time ive spoke on the shit, bring a meaningful point to this bitch while you're at it.]]]]]]]]]]]

I already spoke my mind in [the other topics], i just needed to [say a sentence] with [] in it,

I respect your opinion :)

But Quik didn't let Ludacris put Spur Of The Moment on his album, Ludacris let Quik feature on his album :p

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 02:06:22 PM »
+1 when I get the chance. You dont have the agree with the shit, just read it. I probably overreacted haha, but I appreciate the up.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 02:10:01 PM »
Im just tired of Quik in General, not because he changed his musical style but just because i grew out of it. His old stuff to me up untill Balance and Option is classic to me

WestCoasta

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 02:29:02 PM »
take a deep breath guys

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
I am not going to base my opinion on Quik, AMG, or this album off of 1 record.

Exactly. Nas did the same shit with "You Owe Me" and the whole Nastradamus album just trying to sell records. Then he came back with Stillmatic, which like Illmatic, is a definitive album of his career and of hip hop in general.

I have read countless threads on here from people who wanted to see DJ Quik make it big. Well, here he is making a name for himself amongst the new generation and all yall have for him is hate just because he's using the system to his advantage. Be proud of him, cheer him on, and maybe he'll come back and drop some stuff he usually makes and still have the success he is having with the Fixxers project. 95% of the people outside of the west coast could give two shits about DJ Quik. Maybe the Fixxers album will give them the reason to check out his other shit.

timmy

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 03:18:45 PM »
D.J. Quick is SOME streight G!