Author Topic: What do you all think of the recent Dre productions???  (Read 454 times)

Lunatic

Re: What do you all think of the recent Dre productions???
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 08:44:18 AM »
pretty weak imo.

Get Low was the best one, i love that song.
Hold On is pretty good, but sometimes can be a little annoying.
Hate here we go
imagine is amazing, hands down his best recent work
haven't heard murder dem murders
boss' life is pretty good, nothing special though
haven't heard drop it (who's song is that?)

I thought straight to the bank was co-produced by dre or something? that beat is sick, but wack song
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 08:46:32 AM »
Its still funny that even his leftover beats are better than a lot of production out right now. To me Dres been giving Detox leftovers, experiments, unfinished tracks ever since 03 and since GRODT. I remember back then reading an MTV interview, where he said hes gonna concentrate on his label and start giving Detox beats to his artists. To me, since 03 theres only been these beats that were Detox worthy and had that "omg" efect to it:

In Da Club
Heat
If I Cant
Back Down
Oh
Shit Hits The Fan
Look In My Eyes
Poppin Them Thangs
G'd Up
How We Do
Higher
Outta Control
Outta Control remix
Get You Some
Been Through The Storm (altough co-produced)
Dont Get Carried Away
Straight To The Bank (altough co-produced)

Like Wcsoldier said, he need to hook up with Elizondo, Storch and I'd add Mel Man too. Fuck the rest, work with those 3. Because while Dres drums are amazing latley, the melody, bassline are very weak.

wcsoldier

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 08:52:32 AM »
^^^^ all these are dope.. I think the threadstarter talks about the 06-early 07 Dre beats.. but call me crazy the beats you mentioned (outside a few ones) as dope as they are, aren't Detox materials coz they 're not that much different from 2001 sound

Raphael

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »
the outta control remix beat is sick.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 09:19:22 AM »
Because while Dres drums are amazing latley, the melody, bassline are very weak.
Arh come on! That snare from "Get You Some" is so wack imo, and he is using it on alot of his new beats.. as far as i remember..

thisoneguy360

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 11:09:32 AM »
Yeah it's been below par, I don't find it as bad as many people here do though

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 12:10:48 PM »
Its still funny that even his leftover beats are better than a lot of production out right now. To me Dres been giving Detox leftovers, experiments, unfinished tracks ever since 03 and since GRODT. I remember back then reading an MTV interview, where he said hes gonna concentrate on his label and start giving Detox beats to his artists. To me, since 03 theres only been these beats that were Detox worthy and had that "omg" efect to it:

co-sign, that's what I wanted to say

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 12:23:09 PM »

Straight to the bank (Loved it.....then i found out it was'nt dre, which did'nt suprise me)

lol

kemizt

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 12:25:32 PM »
Because while Dres drums are amazing latley, the melody, bassline are very weak.
Arh come on! That snare from "Get You Some" is so wack imo, and he is using it on alot of his new beats.. as far as i remember..

Yeah his drums have been horrible for a while, they're loud and crisp clear but are boring as fuck, there's no variation.

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2007, 12:42:37 PM »
it made me realize that if it wasnt for scott storch playing all the keys on dr dre 2001...... that album wouldnt be a classic

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You can't spell Dilate without L.A.
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
it made me realize that if it wasnt for scott storch playing all the keys on dr dre 2001...... that album wouldnt be a classic

But Scott Storch without Dre is also not the best, his recent work shows you that

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2007, 02:02:59 PM »
I think the vast majority of Dre's beats the last couple years have been very boring and uninspired.  Kinda feels like he's just going through the motions.  I don't think he's fallen off per se, bu I think its a combo of several things: I think Interscope has stifled him creatively - a lot of his singles that he's produced have been very generic, mostly trying to recreate any post GRODT success.  I think the artists signed to Aftermath have either DRASTICALLY fallen off (50 & Em) or are uninspiring as MC's (Bishop & Stat Quo are boring, imo).  The whole Game situation prolly took a toll.  Interscope COMPLETELY fucked up Busta's album - they finally get Busta on Dre's label and then release singles produced by Swizz Beats & Will I Am?  Monumental fuck up in my opinion.

The last body of work that I REALLY felt from Dre was what he did on Obie Trice's debut album.  Incredible production, really took shit to the next level.  I believe that the beats on that album were what the original incarnation of Detox was gonna be.  But because that album didn't completely shut shit down like a Snoop / Em / 50 major label debut, I think Dre aborted that sound.  (And it didn't blow as big as those because Obie lacked much charisma and didn't bring much to the table as an artist).  Dre shouldn't have invested so much into that project.

So now, maybe Dre's confidence isn't as high, maybe he's just bored, or maybe he's just spreading himself too thin.  Whatever it is, it's impacting his music.

When 2001 was coming out, and lots of people counted Dre out, I never did because he was still innovative and consistently dropping heat on the side.  That hasn't been the case lately for him (for the most part).  I also have the feeling that Detox is gonna be a disappointment.

Having said all that, maybe Dre is still doing some crazy experimental shit that he's got a ridiculously tight lid on and he'll completely blow us all away.  I hope that's what happens, but I'm not willing to bet on it.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
I think the vast majority of Dre's beats the last couple years have been very boring and uninspired.  Kinda feels like he's just going through the motions.  I don't think he's fallen off per se, bu I think its a combo of several things: I think Interscope has stifled him creatively - a lot of his singles that he's produced have been very generic, mostly trying to recreate any post GRODT success.  I think the artists signed to Aftermath have either DRASTICALLY fallen off (50 & Em) or are uninspiring as MC's (Bishop & Stat Quo are boring, imo).  The whole Game situation prolly took a toll.  Interscope COMPLETELY fucked up Busta's album - they finally get Busta on Dre's label and then release singles produced by Swizz Beats & Will I Am?  Monumental fuck up in my opinion.

The last body of work that I REALLY felt from Dre was what he did on Obie Trice's debut album.  Incredible production, really took shit to the next level.  I believe that the beats on that album were what the original incarnation of Detox was gonna be.  But because that album didn't completely shut shit down like a Snoop / Em / 50 major label debut, I think Dre aborted that sound.  (And it didn't blow as big as those because Obie lacked much charisma and didn't bring much to the table as an artist).  Dre shouldn't have invested so much into that project.

So now, maybe Dre's confidence isn't as high, maybe he's just bored, or maybe he's just spreading himself too thin.  Whatever it is, it's impacting his music.

When 2001 was coming out, and lots of people counted Dre out, I never did because he was still innovative and consistently dropping heat on the side.  That hasn't been the case lately for him (for the most part).  I also have the feeling that Detox is gonna be a disappointment.

Having said all that, maybe Dre is still doing some crazy experimental shit that he's got a ridiculously tight lid on and he'll completely blow us all away.  I hope that's what happens, but I'm not willing to bet on it.

That there is truth....Dre has not fallen off to a point there aint no coming back, you cannot say that with a cat of dres calibre....BUT as all the points above mention, his been slippin last 2 years no doubt....

Oh and about the work he did on obies debut, that shit was amazing and wasted on obie....i do not think he completely abandoned the sound himself off the fact it did not blow obie up as much as he would have liked (got some teeth anyone?).....but more to do with the fact that was the time when dre/melman was having problems and dres musical team felt they were not gettin there props....that was the time alot of the cats who worked with dre to get the sound on obies album left...so since then he has not been able to really re-create that sound with the new cats his got....mike elizondo seems played out now....dre gets the best out of storch but they too big now to work as a team maybe...that mark batson cat does not do amazing shit so far....

I am not saying dre's work is great because of other people, cuz all these niggaz i mentioned aint shit without dre....apart from storch, who was truely gifted with the keys...but even he aint as good without dre as he is with dre....i'm just saying dre is inspired when he feels he got people around him who will give him energy and make him develop a new sound from which dre is still the main point of....BUT right now I do not feel dre has that energy in regards to the team he working with in the studio on a daily basis or the cats he producing for.....I think the Game situation took alot out of dre cuz we all know dre was really diggin games shit.

I hope I am wrong though and that dre is saving some crazy shit for his own album....after all his in the studio soo much and within all these years, we all know he kept some shit for himself which he felt was 'unshareable'

I have no doubt at all in my mind detox will be bangin top to bottom....I do however have much doubt whether it will top 2001

pz
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 02:25:22 PM by LyRiCaL_G »

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007, 02:25:06 PM »
I don't think the beats on Game's album were exactly groundbreaking, but they were definitely dope and most people were on em hard when they dropped.

As far as Dre's beats not being up to par since 2001, and for Detox being a classic automatically, I don't know what my opinion is yet. However....I have a feeling that if Detox is classic, and at the level of Chronic and/or 2001, he can happily retire.....but because of the fact that he's lost a lotta buzz, and the world isn't as hyped about hearing Dre + Snoop/Em/50...he BETTER come with it...and if he doesn't, I feel that he will try to redeem himself by putting another album out within 2-3 years afterwards, if not sooner.

Everybody has been saying the same thing....before Chronic, people wondered if he would make anything half as good as he did with NWA, and he did...then before 2001, the West was against him, and people said he had fallen off...but he came with it. So now, they are all saying that his last few years have been average, but they know for fact that he's gonna do something major for Detox. Well I don't really know what to expect at this point...because rumors have said that basically every beat that was once for Detox has been used for someone else's album, and since 2001, I can't really think of 16-20 beats that would have possibly made a classic Detox...I could definitely find enough to make a great album, but not for something at that level.

Sriram619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2007, 02:39:51 PM »
First off i dont think dre gets good shit out of dwayne parker and mark batson he needs to work with mel man scott storch and mike elizondo and sean curse. His drums have been average recently he doesnt come off with those hard ass snares anymore hes using that weak ass snareclap with a reverb which sounds cheap as fuck. his drums from the topp dogg cd were hard drums on 2001 were hard drums on documentary and get rich or die tryin were hard even on hustlers they were good but all his recent beats have been average recentley he needs to step up and stick with the original formula which is Storch Elizondo or Mel Man.