Author Topic: One More Reason That Ras Kass 'Soul On Ice' Is A Great Album  (Read 740 times)

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: One More Reason That Ras Kass 'Soul On Ice' Is A Great Album
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 11:42:26 PM »

Ras Kass just got out of prison a year and a half ago for multiple DUIs.

Good.. now he'll have more material to write about again, and he might come up with another dope album.  Also, he may have been hanging with the Muslims in prison like before, and it may have elevated him spritually.

It's a miracle he has only killed one person and you think his drinking problem is good? And you're a muslim?

XaNdEr

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 11:48:51 PM »
Islam has blinded him, or was it the slaps in his face by his father??  ::)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 10:46:01 AM »

It's a miracle he has only killed one person and you think his drinking problem is good? And you're a muslim?

I don't think his drinking problem is good.. but I do think his great talent and ability to express the effects of his drinking problem is good.. because in his song, "The Evil That Men Do" he explains how a series of events lead him down the path that so many others have unfortunately fallen into, a path of drug and alcohol abuse, crime, and inprisonment.. he says in the song.. "I'm looking at the mirror and seeing every other nigger I knew/ It's the Evil That Men Do".  That makes for a very introspective track, one of the most personal I've ever heard.

Why don't you guys tell me about the rappers you listen to who rap about never making mistakes and the fun they had going out to boy scout camp and baking cookies?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 10:54:51 AM by Shakur Abdul-Latif's Definition Of Hip-Hop..by -Infinite- »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 06:37:06 PM »

I don't think his drinking problem is good.. but I do think his great talent and ability to express the effects of his drinking problem is good.. because in his song, "The Evil That Men Do" he explains how a series of events lead him down the path that so many others have unfortunately fallen into, a path of drug and alcohol abuse, crime, and inprisonment.. he says in the song.. "I'm looking at the mirror and seeing every other nigger I knew/ It's the Evil That Men Do".  That makes for a very introspective track, one of the most personal I've ever heard.

Why don't you guys tell me about the rappers you listen to who rap about never making mistakes and the fun they had going out to boy scout camp and baking cookies?

So he makes a song about how fucked up his life is because of alcohol, yet he still is a very heavy drinker. Sounds like he is making excuses to me. Making a song about his problem and actually doing something fix the problem are two entirely different things. Rappers do dirt no question about it, but there is a big line between doing dirt and vehicular manslaughter.

And weren't you the one who praised the Minnesota muslim taxi drivers for protesting fares with alcohol? You are just as confused as Rassy is.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 09:14:25 PM »

So he makes a song about how fucked up his life is because of alcohol, yet he still is a very heavy drinker. Sounds like he is making excuses to me. Making a song about his problem and actually doing something fix the problem are two entirely different things. Rappers do dirt no question about it, but there is a big line between doing dirt and vehicular manslaughter.

And weren't you the one who praised the Minnesota muslim taxi drivers for protesting fares with alcohol? You are just as confused as Rassy is.

Ras Kass put his story out there for people to learn from, relate to, or otherwise he just did it himself because it was therapuetic.  The point is, if you could relate to it, or you enjoyed the song then that's cool.... but somebody like you is too brief and narrow minded to understand. 

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »

Ras Kass put his story out there for people to learn from, relate to, or otherwise he just did it himself because it was therapuetic.  The point is, if you could relate to it, or you enjoyed the song then that's cool.... but somebody like you is too brief and narrow minded to understand. 

You know nothing about me. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean my points aren't valid or that you know more than me. I do like some of Ras Kass's music, but the fact of the matter is he should at least try to stop drinking or driving after drinking instead of doing again and again and again and again, then go to jail for a year and a half almost a decade after he initially wrote the track. It's very contradictory of the tracks meaning.

XaNdEr

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 11:04:08 PM »
He contradicts himself to a very very high degree with everything he does, wether it's this drinking & driving stuff, the game beef, makin' music with white people while discriminating them on tracks etc. His music is cool, but as a person he is very weak to me, dude seems hella confused in life and can't make any choices, he says one thing, then the next day he does something which makes that statement complete trash.

I like Soul On Ice for it's lyrical content, but Ras Kass has no personality.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 11:40:22 PM »
+1 xander
+1 infinite

my homies, chill

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 08:07:28 AM »

You know nothing about me. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean my points aren't valid or that you know more than me. I do like some of Ras Kass's music, but the fact of the matter is he should at least try to stop drinking or driving after drinking instead of doing again and again and again and again, then go to jail for a year and a half almost a decade after he initially wrote the track. It's very contradictory of the tracks meaning.

Have you even listened to the song?

There is nothing contradictory in it.  The song is not about him saying, "Ohh I made mistakes, but now I'm going to change my lie and live righteous."  The song isn't like that at all.  The song is about him expressing how he ended up looking at his life and "seeing every other nigger he knew".. he was expressing what it was like for him growing up, and how before even turning 19 his life had already been nearly destroyed.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 08:12:04 AM »
He contradicts himself to a very very high degree with everything he does, wether it's this drinking & driving stuff, the game beef, makin' music with white people while discriminating them on tracks etc. His music is cool, but as a person he is very weak to me, dude seems hella confused in life and can't make any choices, he says one thing, then the next day he does something which makes that statement complete trash.

I like Soul On Ice for it's lyrical content, but Ras Kass has no personality.

I don't think ya'll really listened to the album.  There's nothing contradictory at all.  He's not a self-righteous rapper like Mos Def, Common, or Talib Kweli.

He never says on the album, "Ohh, I made a mistake, I'm turning my life over to Allah, and I'm going to live a righteous and clean life"... he never ascribes any purity to himself. 

He actually does the opposite.  You said he is confused, WELL HE ALSO CALLS HIMSELF CONFUSED ON THE ALBUM!  On Order Our Of Chaos he says, "where's my piece of mind, huh? a swiss watch/ leasing a lex on credit/ all the liquor and pussy a nigger can get/ Put my pieces together but my puzzle won't FIT!"  He expresses how his life is messed up, he never claims to be reliigious or pure.

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »

Have you even listened to the song?

There is nothing contradictory in it.  The song is not about him saying, "Ohh I made mistakes, but now I'm going to change my lie and live righteous."  The song isn't like that at all.  The song is about him expressing how he ended up looking at his life and "seeing every other nigger he knew".. he was expressing what it was like for him growing up, and how before even turning 19 his life had already been nearly destroyed.

Yes I have heard the song. I have the entire album on my hard drive.

Okay okay, so in your eyes, he made the song about his life almost being destroyed because he did something stupid. I can live with that. But the one question I have is, why does he keep doing the same thing that makes him feel like every other person in the hood?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »

Yes I have heard the song. I have the entire album on my hard drive.

Okay okay, so in your eyes, he made the song about his life almost being destroyed because he did something stupid. I can live with that. But the one question I have is, why does he keep doing the same thing that makes him feel like every other person in the hood?

That's a question affecting so many different people's lives from so many different backgrounds.  How come we can't break cycles of undesireable behaivor's and addictions?  This is a worldwide dilemna affecting millions.  Ras is no different.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2007, 10:45:02 PM »

The reason why it doesn't bother me is simple, I have no racial pride.  Also, whenever I have gone through hard times in my life white people have never helped me, it's always been somebody non-white who has given me knowledge to rise above my situation.  So I have no loyalty towards whites.

Ras Kass' commentary on race relations throughout the album is partly what makes the album great.  "Nature of the Threat" is one of the most spectacular hip-hop tracks ever recorded, and it is also a song that stirred my interest towards Islam back when I was still an atheist.

Ras spits venom against a system that had him locked up and in prison at age 18.  He tells the story Evil That Men Do saying "I look at myself and see every other nigger I knew".  The problems he was talking about are widespread in the black community.  He breaks it down in order and chaos when he says, "I don't eat swine and beat the shit out of skinheads/ but where's my piece of mind, huh/ leasin a lex on credit/ all the liquor and pussy a nigger can get/ put the puzzle together but the pieces won't fit!"

That shit is deep, and it is way real.  He's talking about how so many black people are pacified with liquor and pussy but they never have any peace of mind. 

BRYAN, YOU ARE WHITE!  You sitting there saying you have no loyalty to whites is one of the most self-loathesome statements you can make.  And I'm not saying you should be on some pro whitey shit, but when you denounce an entire race that you are a part of is fucked up.  Do you realize when you say you hate whitey you're saying that you hate yourself?  And I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm asking an honest question. 

As for Ras Kass, you say he spits venom against a system that had him locked up for years.  The guy wasn't a political prisoner that was locked up unjustly, he's a fuckin alcoholic that KILLS PEOPLE WITH HIS FUCKIN CAR WHEN HE'S PISS DRUNK.  And he continues to get DUI's, so he hasn't learned jack fucking shit.

People view your posts as ignorant propaganda because of the way you're always spinning shit like that.  You're not fooling anyone, you're just making yourself look really pathetic. 

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2007, 11:28:54 PM »
I can respect the view that he has no racial pride, I may not completely see how he sees it but I ain't gonna call it pathetic... +1 jrome and infinite

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

XaNdEr

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2007, 11:36:18 PM »

The reason why it doesn't bother me is simple, I have no racial pride.  Also, whenever I have gone through hard times in my life white people have never helped me, it's always been somebody non-white who has given me knowledge to rise above my situation.  So I have no loyalty towards whites.

Ras Kass' commentary on race relations throughout the album is partly what makes the album great.  "Nature of the Threat" is one of the most spectacular hip-hop tracks ever recorded, and it is also a song that stirred my interest towards Islam back when I was still an atheist.

Ras spits venom against a system that had him locked up and in prison at age 18.  He tells the story Evil That Men Do saying "I look at myself and see every other nigger I knew".  The problems he was talking about are widespread in the black community.  He breaks it down in order and chaos when he says, "I don't eat swine and beat the shit out of skinheads/ but where's my piece of mind, huh/ leasin a lex on credit/ all the liquor and pussy a nigger can get/ put the puzzle together but the pieces won't fit!"

That shit is deep, and it is way real.  He's talking about how so many black people are pacified with liquor and pussy but they never have any peace of mind. 

BRYAN, YOU ARE WHITE!  You sitting there saying you have no loyalty to whites is one of the most self-loathesome statements you can make.  And I'm not saying you should be on some pro whitey shit, but when you denounce an entire race that you are a part of is fucked up.  Do you realize when you say you hate whitey you're saying that you hate yourself?  And I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm asking an honest question. 

As for Ras Kass, you say he spits venom against a system that had him locked up for years.  The guy wasn't a political prisoner that was locked up unjustly, he's a fuckin alcoholic that KILLS PEOPLE WITH HIS FUCKIN CAR WHEN HE'S PISS DRUNK.  And he continues to get DUI's, so he hasn't learned jack fucking shit.

People view your posts as ignorant propaganda because of the way you're always spinning shit like that.  You're not fooling anyone, you're just making yourself look really pathetic. 

Real talk. I am white myself too, and i don't really feel "special", in my opinion everybody is the same and deserves to get treated the same. But it's not like i forget where i came from though, unlike Bryan, i respect myself.  8)

+1