Poll

?

LARRY BIRD
9 (47.4%)
ELGIN BAYLOR
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: FINALS DUBCC'S GOAT SF: #1 LARRY BIRD VS #2 ELGIN BAYLOR  (Read 1863 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: FINALS DUBCC'S GOAT SF: #1 LARRY BIRD VS #2 ELGIN BAYLOR
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »
The main reason that Elgin didn't win a title was because the Lakers sported a much smaller team, even for that era, than the Celtics. Elgin was a slasher that Dr. J, MJ and Kobe followed, and West was the shooter, but both were under sized at the positions they played at times, and they couldn't play their natural positions on a regular bases until Wilt came. By then they were older, and injuries were getting to Elgin, which resulted him retiring during the 71-72 season, the same year the Lakers finally won it all.

I just think the 80s Larry was too good of a passer and shooter to be stopped by a 60s Celtics team. Now if you want to argue whether a 60's Larry would be anywhere near the same player as an 80s Larry then that's another story. But the game evolved alot in the 80s and Larry was a big part of it.

NIK, arguing with you is like arguing with a Red Sox fan from Boston. You're opinion doesn't matter when it comers to the Lakers because you'll just pick the Lakers when it comes to debatable players. If Jordan or Larry were Lakers and Magic wasn't, Magic wouldn't be your GOAT. It's like Sox fans that argue that Ted Williams was better than Ty Cobb. Two different eras but two of the greatest hitters. Cobb was better plain and simple, but you'll be hard pressed to find a guy in Massachusetts say that. Just like with you, it's a matter of Geography. Now if you were debating Jordan vs Larry, or Duncan vs Hakeem then I'd sit and listen to you and take you seriously, but this is like you having a son or daughter in a talent show. You aren't capable of saying they weren't as good as the other boy or girl.

It'd be one thing if Lakers weren't one of the greatest sport dynasties ever with some of the greatest players ever...I grew up watching them, so I know most about them. All my opinions are valid. I would never say something ridiculous like "Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was more powerful than Shaq", or "Magic Johnson was a better rebounder than Larry Bird", cuz that's not me...I only say what I truly feel...When you see me making irrational claims, get at me...PeACe

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2007, 03:10:55 PM »
The main reason that Elgin didn't win a title was because the Lakers sported a much smaller team, even for that era, than the Celtics. Elgin was a slasher that Dr. J, MJ and Kobe followed, and West was the shooter, but both were under sized at the positions they played at times, and they couldn't play their natural positions on a regular bases until Wilt came. By then they were older, and injuries were getting to Elgin, which resulted him retiring during the 71-72 season, the same year the Lakers finally won it all.

I just think the 80s Larry was too good of a passer and shooter to be stopped by a 60s Celtics team. Now if you want to argue whether a 60's Larry would be anywhere near the same player as an 80s Larry then that's another story. But the game evolved alot in the 80s and Larry was a big part of it.

NIK, arguing with you is like arguing with a Red Sox fan from Boston. You're opinion doesn't matter when it comers to the Lakers because you'll just pick the Lakers when it comes to debatable players. If Jordan or Larry were Lakers and Magic wasn't, Magic wouldn't be your GOAT. It's like Sox fans that argue that Ted Williams was better than Ty Cobb. Two different eras but two of the greatest hitters. Cobb was better plain and simple, but you'll be hard pressed to find a guy in Massachusetts say that. Just like with you, it's a matter of Geography. Now if you were debating Jordan vs Larry, or Duncan vs Hakeem then I'd sit and listen to you and take you seriously, but this is like you having a son or daughter in a talent show. You aren't capable of saying they weren't as good as the other boy or girl.

It'd be one thing if Lakers weren't one of the greatest sport dynasties ever with some of the greatest players ever...I grew up watching them, so I know most about them. All my opinions are valid. I would never say something ridiculous like "Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was more powerful than Shaq", or "Magic Johnson was a better rebounder than Larry Bird", cuz that's not me...I only say what I truly feel...When you see me making irrational claims, get at me...PeACe

I never said you made irrational claims. I said when something is debatable I can't see you ever going against the Laker. You wouldn't say something stupid like Kurt Rambis was a better all round player than Bird because that would be ridiculous. But if it's close enough to garner some support for the Laker in an objective debate then you'd pick the Laker. Like I said about Ted Williams; he was amazing and had a lot of accolades and there may be one or two objective fans that say he's better than Cobb, but for every 1 fan that says Williams there is a hundred that say Cobb. But not in Boston. In Boston it's the other way around. It's not that I think you're stupid, it's that I strongly believe (I can never know for sure and neither can you) that if Bird was a Laker and   Elgin was a Celtic that at the very least this poll would have been 10-9 for Larry, not Elgin.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2007, 06:17:18 PM »
Baylor                                         
NBA Championships - 0
MVP's - 0
NBA Finals MVP - 0
All NBA 1st Team - 10
All Star Games - 11

Bird
NBA Championships - 3
MVP's - 3 CONSECUTIVE (Only 3rd person to ever do that at the time, and the first non-center)
NBA Finals MVP - 2
All-NBA 1st Team - 9
All Star Games - 12
Only forward to lead league in three-pointers made (82) and free throw percentage (.896)

Bird>Baylor

The league didn't have 2 players as dominant as Wilt and Russell when Bird played, so the MVP/Championship argument is nonesense. Anyone who knows the history of the Lakers knows they were a top team with Baylor, but were cursed by the Russell led Celtics for a whole decade. They even lost the years they had the better team. When it comes to accomplishments, Bird was better. But as an individual player, it's Baylor. Even your ALL-NBA 1st Team list shows that...PeACe

Anyone who knows the history of basketball knows the CELTICS COMPLETELY DOMINATED THE LAKERS during the 60's.  You're such a ho with your "The Lakers were a better team even though they lost every year to the Celtics".  And you say my post was NONSENSE?  Are you retarded?  You have ZERO cred in basketball discussions Elior. 

Lets have a look at the Lakers playoff record during the time in which Elior says they were clearly the best team:

1969 -- defeated San Francisco, 4-2, division semifinals
        defeated Atlanta, 4-1, division finals
        lost to Boston, 4-3, NBA Finals

1968 -- defeated Chicago, 4-1, division semifinals
        defeated San Francisco, 4-0, division finals
        lost to Boston, 4-2, NBA Finals

1967 -- lost to San Francisco, 3-0, division semifinals

1966 -- defeated St. Louis, 4-3, division finals

1965 -- defeated Baltimore, 4-2, division finals
        lost to Boston, 4-1, NBA Finals

1964 -- lost to St. Louis, 3-2, division semifinals

1963 -- defeated St. Louis, 4-3, division finals

1962 -- defeated Detroit, 4-2, division finals

1961 -- defeated Detroit, 3-2, division semifinals
        lost to St. Louis, 4-3, division finals

Thats right, The Lakers went to the finals 6 times and were beaten by The Celtics everytime.  Yet Elior says the Lakers were the best team.  I hope you Laker fans will see how much Elior taints you guys.

I have 0 cred in basketball discussion? LOL. That's where I stopped taking you seriously...LMAO@you tryna educate me about ANY Laker team. Had you watched ANY basketball documentary about NBA in the 60's, you'd know the Lakers lost when they were and weren't picked to win. That's why it was a curse, genius. When did I say Lakers ALWAYS had the best team? You must have ADD, huh? All I said was the Lakers lost, even during the years they had the better team, then you got all excited like you knew something... And stop constantly using my first name like you wanna get fucked...PeACe

No, seriously only a fucking retard would sit there and say the Lakers had the better team, yet lost to the Celtics 6 TIMES in the championship.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2007, 08:58:51 PM »
Baylor                                         
NBA Championships - 0
MVP's - 0
NBA Finals MVP - 0
All NBA 1st Team - 10
All Star Games - 11

Bird
NBA Championships - 3
MVP's - 3 CONSECUTIVE (Only 3rd person to ever do that at the time, and the first non-center)
NBA Finals MVP - 2
All-NBA 1st Team - 9
All Star Games - 12
Only forward to lead league in three-pointers made (82) and free throw percentage (.896)

Bird>Baylor

The league didn't have 2 players as dominant as Wilt and Russell when Bird played, so the MVP/Championship argument is nonesense. Anyone who knows the history of the Lakers knows they were a top team with Baylor, but were cursed by the Russell led Celtics for a whole decade. They even lost the years they had the better team. When it comes to accomplishments, Bird was better. But as an individual player, it's Baylor. Even your ALL-NBA 1st Team list shows that...PeACe

Anyone who knows the history of basketball knows the CELTICS COMPLETELY DOMINATED THE LAKERS during the 60's.  You're such a ho with your "The Lakers were a better team even though they lost every year to the Celtics".  And you say my post was NONSENSE?  Are you retarded?  You have ZERO cred in basketball discussions Elior. 

Lets have a look at the Lakers playoff record during the time in which Elior says they were clearly the best team:

Thats right, The Lakers went to the finals 6 times and were beaten by The Celtics everytime.  Yet Elior says the Lakers were the best team.  I hope you Laker fans will see how much Elior taints you guys.

I have 0 cred in basketball discussion? LOL. That's where I stopped taking you seriously...LMAO@you tryna educate me about ANY Laker team. Had you watched ANY basketball documentary about NBA in the 60's, you'd know the Lakers lost when they were and weren't picked to win. That's why it was a curse, genius. When did I say Lakers ALWAYS had the best team? You must have ADD, huh? All I said was the Lakers lost, even during the years they had the better team, then you got all excited like you knew something... And stop constantly using my first name like you wanna get fucked...PeACe

No, seriously only a fucking retard would sit there and say the Lakers had the better team, yet lost to the Celtics 6 TIMES in the championship.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Once again, Mr. ADD, I never said the Lakers had the better team for all 6 losses...I said even when they were picked to win and had the better season, they STILL lost. Learn how to comprehend shit, cuz only a retard would misunderstand what I said twice in a row...

JRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOO

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »
Baylor                                         
NBA Championships - 0
MVP's - 0
NBA Finals MVP - 0
All NBA 1st Team - 10
All Star Games - 11

Bird
NBA Championships - 3
NBA Finals MVP - 2
All-NBA 1st Team - 9
All Star Games - 12

Bird>Baylor

Once again, Mr. ADD, I never said the Lakers had the better team for all 6 losses...I said even when they were picked to win and had the better season, they STILL lost. Learn how to comprehend shit, cuz only a retard would misunderstand what I said twice in a row...

The Lakers were never the best team in the 60's.  Even if they had a better regular season record, they were NEVER THE CHAMPS.  But in your dilusional world, the Lakers are always the best team regardless of record or championships.  Your Laker obsession has totally distorted your reality.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2007, 09:53:31 PM »
Baylor                                         
NBA Championships - 0
MVP's - 0
NBA Finals MVP - 0
All NBA 1st Team - 10
All Star Games - 11

Bird
NBA Championships - 3
NBA Finals MVP - 2
All-NBA 1st Team - 9
All Star Games - 12

Bird>Baylor

The Lakers were never the best team in the 60's.  Even if they had a better regular season record, they were NEVER THE CHAMPS.  But in your dilusional world, the Lakers are always the best team regardless of record or championships.  Your Laker obsession has totally distorted your reality.

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about. There was a season where Boston came into the playoffs as a 4th seed, and won it over the number 1 Lakers, who were clearly regarded as the superior team. Injuries had a lot to do with that as well...You have no idea what "the curse" was all about. If you watched anything about basketball in the 60's, you woulda' known this...Instead, you go around speaking out of your ass...PeACe

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2007, 10:10:54 PM »
Baylor                                         
NBA Championships - 0
MVP's - 0
NBA Finals MVP - 0
All NBA 1st Team - 10
All Star Games - 11

Bird
NBA Championships - 3
NBA Finals MVP - 2
All-NBA 1st Team - 9
All Star Games - 12

Bird>Baylor

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about. There was a season where Boston came into the playoffs as a 4th seed, and won it over the number 1 Lakers, who were clearly regarded as the superior team. Injuries had a lot to do with that as well...You have no idea what "the curse" was all about. If you watched anything about basketball in the 60's, you woulda' known this...Instead, you go around speaking out of your ass...PeACe

LOL @ you proving my point again.  The Lakers only lost that year because of injuries.   ::)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2007, 10:53:22 PM »
Baylor                                         
NBA Championships - 0
MVP's - 0
NBA Finals MVP - 0
All NBA 1st Team - 10
All Star Games - 11

Bird
NBA Championships - 3
NBA Finals MVP - 2
All-NBA 1st Team - 9
All Star Games - 12

Bird>Baylor

LOL @ you proving my point again.  The Lakers only lost that year because of injuries.   ::)

LOL@you proving my point again. You have ADD. When did I say the Lakers only lost because of injuries? ::)