Author Topic: MAYFEATHERS VS DE LA HOYA  (Read 2417 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: MAYFEATHERS VS DE LA HOYA
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2007, 05:43:06 PM »
LMAO @ People saying Oscar is overrated. LMAO @ He never fought any legit fighters.

His losses to Mosely were rather legit, while most people will dispute the 2nd fight, I won't. But, his loss to Trinidad was bull. Anyone who knows boxing knows De La Hoya won. Anyone moving up to fight Hopkins like De La Hoya did would've lost.

De La Hoya consistently moved up weight classes to fight the best and brightest. Moving up to Middleweight and only having one fight (Sturm) preceding the Hopkins fight was a mistake. But it showed De La Hoya's heart.

Lastly, this loss to Mayweather wasn't all that bad. He was outclassed, but then again, Mayweather got him at the end of his career. Just like you discredit De La Hoya's wins over Chavez since he was "out of his prime," anyone can do the same to Mayweather for this win.

I don't think anyone can make a real legit arguement as to how and why Oscar is overrated aside from just stating it.

So he's good enough to be the most recognized figure in boxing? LOL@that.

SmokinDro520

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • PillZ..HoeZ N DRO is all a G KnowZ
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »
De La Hoya, to me, is the 2nd greatest Mexican fighter only behind

Julio Cesar Chavez

108-6-2 87KOs
This is what i told my homie when he was sayin Oscar De La Hoya was the best mexican fighter ever.
PoP PoP THIZZ!!

rik

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2007, 06:58:03 PM »
De La Hoya, to me, is the 2nd greatest Mexican fighter only behind

Julio Cesar Chavez

108-6-2 87KOs
This is what i told my homie when he was sayin Oscar De La Hoya was the best mexican fighter ever.

Yeah, Best Mexican fighter has to be Chavez, no doubt. His son is shaping up to be a pretty good fighter himself.

SGV

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2007, 08:26:28 PM »

You say LOL @ That... But you have nothing concrete to back that up. What makes him "not good enough"?? Did he not move up from Super Featherweight 30 pounds to Middleweight and hold titles in each Class? Did he not accept damn near any and every challenge threw at him? Did he not beat Paez, Johnny Molina, Ruelas, Leija, Chavez (twice!), Miguel Angel Gonzalez, Whittaker, Camacho, Quartey and Carr before his first "loss"? Even after his loss, he still beat notables like Gatti, Castillejo and Campas.

d-nice

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2007, 09:49:46 PM »

You say LOL @ That... But you have nothing concrete to back that up. What makes him "not good enough"?? Did he not move up from Super Featherweight 30 pounds to Middleweight and hold titles in each Class? Did he not accept damn near any and every challenge threw at him? Did he not beat Paez, Johnny Molina, Ruelas, Leija, Chavez (twice!), Miguel Angel Gonzalez, Whittaker, Camacho, Quartey and Carr before his first "loss"? Even after his loss, he still beat notables like Gatti, Castillejo and Campas.

I always wanted to see him fight Ike Quartey again. I thought even with the knockdown in the 12th, De La Hoya did not win that fight.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2007, 11:32:56 PM »

I just don't think he's an all-time great, and that's the sort of recognigion he gets. You're saying there aren't better boxers out there who don't have nearly as much hype behind their name? Come on, now.

SGV

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2007, 11:57:51 PM »
That's not much logic. De la Hoya has more than just hype. He's proven time and again how great he is. He's challeneged himself in nearly every fight. He doesn't discredit fighters so he doesn't have to go against them like other "champions" have. He has always looked for the best fighters to beef up his W column. He's one of the greats. And until someone can come with a competent enough arguement, I cannot believe otherwise.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2007, 12:27:03 AM »
That's not much logic. De la Hoya has more than just hype. He's proven time and again how great he is. He's challeneged himself in nearly every fight. He doesn't discredit fighters so he doesn't have to go against them like other "champions" have. He has always looked for the best fighters to beef up his W column. He's one of the greats. And until someone can come with a competent enough arguement, I cannot believe otherwise.

How many times have you heard people saying he's "the best", or he's "the greatest Mexican boxer of all time", when that's obviously not true? That's the definition of overrated.

SGV

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2007, 07:59:57 AM »
It's not overrating because any Boxing Fan can easily make the arguement that he is indeed the Best Mexican Boxer or just best Overall.  Again, you're just making statements which leads me to believe that you really don't know what you're talking about, you're just going by what you read in threads such as these. How is it "obviously not true" NIK? Since you said it, elaborate. Where are the facts to back this up? Can one not argue that De La Hoya has proven his greatness? Can he not be mentioned among the elite? If not, then what do you say about his record? Are you saying the people he beat were nobodies? That he never beat a fighter who was consider great?

Oscar is the definition of a great fighter. If Boxing had more fighters like Oscar and less like Mayweather (backing out of boxing when they're on "top" instead of taking on the best), Boxing wouldn't be in it's current state. Nobody in the past 15 years of Boxing has defeated all the people De La Hoya has. And it's obviously true...

d-nice

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2007, 08:11:47 AM »
It's not overrating because any Boxing Fan can easily make the arguement that he is indeed the Best Mexican Boxer or just best Overall.  Again, you're just making statements which leads me to believe that you really don't know what you're talking about, you're just going by what you read in threads such as these. How is it "obviously not true" NIK? Since you said it, elaborate. Where are the facts to back this up? Can one not argue that De La Hoya has proven his greatness? Can he not be mentioned among the elite? If not, then what do you say about his record? Are you saying the people he beat were nobodies? That he never beat a fighter who was consider great?

Oscar is the definition of a great fighter. If Boxing had more fighters like Oscar and less like Mayweather (backing out of boxing when they're on "top" instead of taking on the best), Boxing wouldn't be in it's current state. Nobody in the past 15 years of Boxing has defeated all the people De La Hoya has. And it's obviously true...

Who is left for Mayweather to fight?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2007, 10:45:48 AM »

It's just my opinion, man. I've seen De La Hoya fight many times, and though I admit he's very good, I never saw anything spectacular from him, or anything to warrant his GOATesque status. He's a businessman, which also probably has a lot to do with how much fame and hype there is behind his name...When a better fighter, like Mayweather, is not even HALF as known as De La Hoya, what does that tell you?

d-nice

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

It's just my opinion, man. I've seen De La Hoya fight many times, and though I admit he's very good, I never saw anything spectacular from him, or anything to warrant his GOATesque status. He's a businessman, which also probably has a lot to do with how much fame and hype there is behind his name...When a better fighter, like Mayweather, is not even HALF as known as De La Hoya, what does that tell you?

Mayweather not being a bigger superstar is actually his fault more than anything. His mouth has got him in alot of trouble.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
^^But you know that there are boxers out there on his level who the majority of people haven't even heard of.

d-nice

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2007, 11:01:37 AM »
^^But you know that there are boxers out there on his level who the majority of people haven't even heard of.

Yeah but in Floyd's case he has a laundry list of reason why he is not a bigger name. Saying he would not sign a slave wages contract with HBO because earlier in his career he thought he should be making Oscar money. Beating on his girlfriend and catching cases for that. Doing business with J Prince and not paying him properly. I can go on and on. Most boxers if you are not with a promoter named Don King, Goosen or Bob Arum, you will be overlooked that is why I am glad Oscar is doing promotion and pulling in Mosley and Hopkins to bring a different perspective on how to do business in boxing.

SGV

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2007, 01:53:41 PM »

Who is left for Mayweather to fight?

Why not fight Spinx? Why not move up and fight Taylor or Wright? There's people still out there.

I understand it's your opinion, but could you back it up with facts? No. His beating the long list of great fighters isn't spectacular? I don't see how it's not. 30 KOs in 38 wins isn't spectacular? That's damn good considering the caliber of fighters he's fought.

To say Mayweather is a better fighter is debateable. Mayweather beat Oscar pretty much at the end of a long 15 year career. Had Mayweather fought Oscar in his prime it would've been a much different story. Mayweather did not dominate in anyway. So being the "better fighter" he barely pulled off the win. He's not half as known as De La Hoya because he doesn't really fight big names like Oscar did. What does that tell you?