Author Topic: If NBA players got to vote for the MVP...  (Read 1768 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: If NBA players got to vote for the MVP...
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 11:29:49 AM »
i highly doubt he would get it even if the players voted

Are you paying any attention? He's ALREADY the best as far as the players are concerned...Every player who speaks out to the media says Kobe is the best, way ahead of the rest. It's not really up for debate...

so it's a proven fact that everybody if not most think hes the best?  did you do that survey yourself or what?  its one thing to say he's the best in front of cameras and journalists it's another thing to actually vote for him.

It's a proven fact that out of all the players questioned as to who is the best player in the league, Kobe has been picked by pretty much everyone...Kobe is known as "The Players' MVP".

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 11:43:44 AM »

Are you paying any attention? He's ALREADY the best as far as the players are concerned...Every player who speaks out to the media says Kobe is the best, way ahead of the rest. It's not really up for debate...

so it's a proven fact that everybody if not most think hes the best?  did you do that survey yourself or what?  its one thing to say he's the best in front of cameras and journalists it's another thing to actually vote for him.

It's a proven fact that out of all the players questioned as to who is the best player in the league, Kobe has been picked by pretty much everyone...Kobe is known as "The Players' MVP".

proven....huh?  do you have numbers?  anything to support this "suppose" proven fact.  how many people have been questioned about this anyway?  40......50?
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 11:58:17 AM »

proven....huh?  do you have numbers?  anything to support this "suppose" proven fact.  how many people have been questioned about this anyway?  40......50?

Proven? LOL. You're joking, right? If you've been watching/listening to player interviews, you'd see that the players usually pick Kobe as not just the best, but the CLEAR CUT best. I didn't save all those interviews on my computer and I'm not about to go dig 'em up...But you can check for yourself.

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 12:03:47 PM »
Just because kobe is the "best" player in the L, that doesn't mean he had the best season. Nash had a better year, so did Duncan.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »
Just because kobe is the "best" player in the L, that doesn't mean he had the best season. Nash had a better year, so did Duncan.

They had better seasons as far as team record goes. But NOBODY had a better season than Kobe this or last season.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 12:08:07 PM »

They had better seasons as far as team record goes. But NOBODY had a better season than Kobe this or last season.

I disagree, I will say he is the best, but the MVP SHOULD also have to do with team performance, and the Lakers didn't  have those kind of seasons.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »

I disagree, I will say he is the best, but the MVP SHOULD also have to do with team performance, and the Lakers didn't  have those kind of seasons.

Kobe had to score 50+ points in 4 straight games just for the Lakers to barely beat teams like Memphis/Portland. Take him off the team and the Lakers would probably lose damn near every game. Him just being on the court is what gives them a chance. If thats not the MVP please tell me what is...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 12:56:41 PM »

Seriously though...The MVP is not a team award. Kobe had the best individual season. And 10-20 years down the road, everyone will laugh at Nash being the 2006 MVP, because Kobe did some amazing shit that was unheard of that season. League leading scorer at 35 PPG, 1st team all defense, 1st All-NBA, top 10 steals, 81 point game, 62 in 3 quarters (outscoring Mavs), all-star MVP, single-handedly willing his team to the playoffs etc. etc. etc...Kobe ---BY FAR--- has been the best player in the league as far as individual accomplishments go in these past few seasons...Like Antonio said, MVP is NOT reserved for the best player on the best team...That is what the FINALS MVP is for...PeACe

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 12:58:28 PM »

Kobe had to score 50+ points in 4 straight games just for the Lakers to barely beat teams like Memphis/Portland. Take him off the team and the Lakers would probably lose damn near every game. Him just being on the court is what gives them a chance. If thats not the MVP please tell me what is...

A player that can lead his team past the 1st round of the playoffs.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »

Its a regular season award.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 01:14:36 PM »
if the players were to vote for the MVP they'd vote for Dirk or nash. or the majority of them would , because they know what the MVP trophy really is. it's not the "Player of the Year" trophy , it's the "leader of the Year" trophy.

Wow! So Dirk is the "leader of the Year"? Mmmm..

Or you wanna sell me he was been the leader of the year from the 1st to the 82nd game of the season and he became a bitch from the 83rd to the 88th? See, that's why those type of trophies are really stupid and most of the times you make a fool of yourself by giving it to a guy who still has to win the games that really matters. I think they should rename it to "Best Player in the League" trophy and stick with it. Fuck the record, fuck all this bullshit. Who's the best one? Kobe? Ok, Kobe gets it. Then they should give the MVP trophy to the leader of the team who wins the NBA. So you have two good thophies and you celebrate both the best player and the most decisive to win the title.

What's the point having an MVP of the regular season who's 90% of the times different from the MVP of the PlayOff? It's just a couple of extra games, not a whole different season. Just give it to the leader of the championship team. And give a Best Player type of trophy after the regular season to the best player.

1. yes dirk is the leader of the year ....or nash. whoever out of those two should win it for the regular season.. because the MVP is for the regular season....the post season is a seperate season all together.

2. if you want a best player in the league trophy then petition for it, but until they initiate that trophy the MVP is STILL more than less the LEADER of the year trophy. if it was the best player in the league trophy Jordan would have gotten it every year since 86/87' , but that wasn't the case now was it? same with Wilt, same for any other great, they would have won it every year the played.  everyone knew back in the early to mid 90's jordan was the best player in the league....so why did karl malone and charles barkley win it? everyone knew that wilt was better than bill , but why'd bill win it over wilt? it's a leadership trophy .....IMO it makes the award more competetive, and set the mold for players to WIN ....rather than throw up 50 points a night every night......winning is better for the league than selfishness. maybe i'm alone in this though nowadays, but i'd take someone who'd give me a chance of seeding 1, 2, or 3 in the playoffs than someone who goes out and scores 50 points everynight and who we have to stand around and watch. i'd rather give a trophy to someone who makes those around him better than someone who collects all the acclaim, and wins as a byproduct. winning is FIRST imo.

3. the lakers did not WIN late in the season when it counted the most, kobe went on a tyraid....yes, but did the lakers go on any kind of significant streak? yes a LOSING streak. how can you sit back and say that someone who can't lead a team with the best coach and quite a few usefull teammates deserves the trophy over two other guys (regardless of what system they play in) effectively beat and won against elite teams.

4. on your last point.... why give an all star mvp then? no one really plays that game THAT hard, it's meaningless as well but it's a seperate thing from the regular season though. same with the playoffs you dont' give whoever won the championship the overall mvp because , what if the knicks beat the spurs a few years back? you mean to tell me giving (ewing let's say) the mvp is more fair , when he barely lead his team to the 8th seed in the EAST!?!?  you mean to tell me that's more logical than giving it to Tim Duncan /Shaq/ ect. who fought harder in the regular season and lead their teams to a higer seed in the next season? what if Baron davis takes the warriors to the finals, you mean to tell me he deserves it over Dirk, Nash, McGrady, Lebron, Kobe, ect??? fuck that . there are two seasons, and every pro player will tell you that they're very different. the REGULAR season and the POST season.  Dirk/Nash =Regular season MVP REGARDLESS of the outcome in the playoffs. whoever leads their team to the championship deserves the Playoff MVP.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 01:15:59 PM »

LOL. Is that why Dirk is getting it this year? Is that why Nash got it last year when he was 1 rebound away from being bounced? Please make valid points, a regular season award has nothing to do with how a team does in the playoffs. And AGAIN, it's an INDIVIDUAL award...PeACe

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 01:20:26 PM »
i could give two squirts of duck shit, how many points kobe scored, all that is irrelevent when?

-he's done nothing to make his teammates better
-when he went on his little scoring spree the went on losing streaks
-we almost were in a position to get booted out of the playoffs
-he's disappeared in the 4th quarter
-doesn't give his tea mates confidence that they can win

^^^ how can someone like that be considered the MVP

kobe did a better job last year with LESS, that's why we almost beat the suns, because he was acting like an MVP but after the 3rd win he went back to what he naturally is.....a micro-oriented player.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 01:22:58 PM »

it's an INDIVIDUAL award...PeACe

yeah for an individual who can lead his team to victory.

you mean to tell me that the leader of the 7th seeded team in the west, that barely loafed into the playoffs, and went on a downward spiral at the end of the season should win it?

crazy!?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 01:25:24 PM »
if the players were to vote for the MVP they'd vote for Dirk or nash. or the majority of them would , because they know what the MVP trophy really is. it's not the "Player of the Year" trophy , it's the "leader of the Year" trophy.

Wow! So Dirk is the "leader of the Year"? Mmmm..

Or you wanna sell me he was been the leader of the year from the 1st to the 82nd game of the season and he became a bitch from the 83rd to the 88th? See, that's why those type of trophies are really stupid and most of the times you make a fool of yourself by giving it to a guy who still has to win the games that really matters. I think they should rename it to "Best Player in the League" trophy and stick with it. Fuck the record, fuck all this bullshit. Who's the best one? Kobe? Ok, Kobe gets it. Then they should give the MVP trophy to the leader of the team who wins the NBA. So you have two good thophies and you celebrate both the best player and the most decisive to win the title.

What's the point having an MVP of the regular season who's 90% of the times different from the MVP of the PlayOff? It's just a couple of extra games, not a whole different season. Just give it to the leader of the championship team. And give a Best Player type of trophy after the regular season to the best player.

1. yes dirk is the leader of the year ....or nash. whoever out of those two should win it for the regular season.. because the MVP is for the regular season....the post season is a seperate season all together.

2. if you want a best player in the league trophy then petition for it, but until they initiate that trophy the MVP is STILL more than less the LEADER of the year trophy. if it was the best player in the league trophy Jordan would have gotten it every year since 86/87' , but that wasn't the case now was it? same with Wilt, same for any other great, they would have won it every year the played.  everyone knew back in the early to mid 90's jordan was the best player in the league....so why did karl malone and charles barkley win it? everyone knew that wilt was better than bill , but why'd bill win it over wilt? it's a leadership trophy .....IMO it makes the award more competetive, and set the mold for players to WIN ....rather than throw up 50 points a night every night......winning is better for the league than selfishness. maybe i'm alone in this though nowadays, but i'd take someone who'd give me a chance of seeding 1, 2, or 3 in the playoffs than someone who goes out and scores 50 points everynight and who we have to stand around and watch. i'd rather give a trophy to someone who makes those around him better than someone who collects all the acclaim, and wins as a byproduct. winning is FIRST imo.

3. the lakers did not WIN late in the season when it counted the most, kobe went on a tyraid....yes, but did the lakers go on any kind of significant streak? yes a LOSING streak. how can you sit back and say that someone who can't lead a team with the best coach and quite a few usefull teammates deserves the trophy over two other guys (regardless of what system they play in) effectively beat and won against elite teams.

4. on your last point.... why give an all star mvp then? no one really plays that game THAT hard, it's meaningless as well but it's a seperate thing from the regular season though. same with the playoffs you dont' give whoever won the championship the overall mvp because , what if the knicks beat the spurs a few years back? you mean to tell me giving (ewing let's say) the mvp is more fair , when he barely lead his team to the 8th seed in the EAST!?!?  you mean to tell me that's more logical than giving it to Tim Duncan /Shaq/ ect. who fought harder in the regular season and lead their teams to a higer seed in the next season? what if Baron davis takes the warriors to the finals, you mean to tell me he deserves it over Dirk, Nash, McGrady, Lebron, Kobe, ect??? fuck that . there are two seasons, and every pro player will tell you that they're very different. the REGULAR season and the POST season.  Dirk/Nash =Regular season MVP REGARDLESS of the outcome in the playoffs. whoever leads their team to the championship deserves the Playoff MVP.

Because Malone and Barkley had arguably better seasons when they won the MVP...Nash hasn't. It's one thing if Kobe has the supporting cast and is EXPECTED to do some damage in the playoffs...It's another thing when his teammates are comprised of D-League level talent and he leads them to the playoffs. THAT is a leader. Nash is a point guard, he's meant to lead that offense, it doesn't make him an MVP. Dirk is not a great leader, the Lakers would be a lottery team with Dirk instead of Kobe...Those 50 point games are what saved the battered Lakers, Jake, you should know that. Without Kobe, there's no chance we'd be anywhere near the playoffs. Kobe is by far the best player in the league and means the most to his team...Try explaining how that's not an MVP without using the "his team is no good" argument, because that's a cop out. MVP is an INDIVIDUAL award, and no one does it better individually than Kobe.

Didn't you say you wanted Carmelo for Kobe? Come on, Jake...I know you love Shaq, but it's time to steer your love in the right direction, homie...PeACe