Author Topic: If NBA players got to vote for the MVP...  (Read 1763 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: If NBA players got to vote for the MVP...
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 01:27:15 PM »
Just because kobe is the "best" player in the L, that doesn't mean he had the best season. Nash had a better year, so did Duncan.

They had better seasons as far as team record goes. But NOBODY had a better season than Kobe this or last season.

I disagree, I will say he is the best, but the MVP SHOULD also have to do with team performance, and the Lakers didn't  have those kind of seasons.

Kobe had to score 50+ points in 4 straight games just for the Lakers to barely beat teams like Memphis/Portland. Take him off the team and the Lakers would probably lose damn near every game. Him just being on the court is what gives them a chance. If thats not the MVP please tell me what is...

A player that can lead his team past the 1st round of the playoffs.

it's an INDIVIDUAL award...PeACe

yeah for an individual who can lead his team to victory.

you mean to tell me that the leader of the 7th seeded team in the west, that barely loafed into the playoffs, and went on a downward spiral at the end of the season should win it?

crazy!?

Kobe LEAD his D-League level talent team to the playoffs. Nash or Dirk would NOT have been able to do that. INDIVIDUALLY, Kobe had ___BY FAR___ the best season...Like I said, Moses Malone won the MVP with a record the same as the Lakers.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2007, 01:28:10 PM »
-he's done nothing to make his teammates better

He leads the team in assists. And if you watch the Lakers you know his teammates need to be spoon fed (and even when they are Luke/Lamar/Kwame/Evans still have tendencies to miss layups)

-when he went on his little scoring spree the went on losing streaks

Don't get what you're saying here

-we almost were in a position to get booted out of the playoffs

Yeah because 3 of our starters and 2 of our main bench guys were injured at the same time. Kobe was stuck with Andrew Bynum, Brian Cook, Ronny Turiaf, Smush Parker, and Shammond Williams to help him get into the playoffs.

-he's disappeared in the 4th quarter

Of what, one game? When you have to score on damn near every possession night in & night out just for your team to get some points on the board, I'm guessing you'd be pretty worn out by the 4th quarter too.

-doesn't give his tea mates confidence that they can win

I can think of a few times this season that Kobe's given his teammates the ball in big possessions. What about that pass to Brian Cook to send us to O/T against Washington? Or him with that last second pass to Smush Parker to force O/T against the Kings? What more do you want him to do, write them all motivational letters?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2007, 01:32:36 PM »
Just because kobe is the "best" player in the L, that doesn't mean he had the best season. Nash had a better year, so did Duncan.

They had better seasons as far as team record goes. But NOBODY had a better season than Kobe this or last season.

I disagree, I will say he is the best, but the MVP SHOULD also have to do with team performance, and the Lakers didn't  have those kind of seasons.

Kobe had to score 50+ points in 4 straight games just for the Lakers to barely beat teams like Memphis/Portland. Take him off the team and the Lakers would probably lose damn near every game. Him just being on the court is what gives them a chance. If thats not the MVP please tell me what is...

LOL. Is that why Dirk is getting it this year? Is that why Nash got it last year when he was 1 rebound away from being bounced? Please make valid points, a regular season award has nothing to do with how a team does in the playoffs. And AGAIN, it's an INDIVIDUAL award...PeACe

Dirk is getting it for a fact? Damn, we so priveledged to have an NBA insider on our very board. Please make valid points.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2007, 01:38:24 PM »

He leads the team in assists. And if you watch the Lakers you know his teammates need to be spoon fed (and even when they are Luke/Lamar/Kwame/Evans still have tendencies to miss layups)

Yeah because 3 of our starters and 2 of our main bench guys were injured at the same time. Kobe was stuck with Andrew Bynum, Brian Cook, Ronny Turiaf, Smush Parker, and Shammond Williams to help him get into the playoffs.

Of what, one game? When you have to score on damn near every possession night in & night out just for your team to get some points on the board, I'm guessing you'd be pretty worn out by the 4th quarter too.

I can think of a few times this season that Kobe's given his teammates the ball in big possessions. What about that pass to Brian Cook to send us to O/T against Washington? Or him with that last second pass to Smush Parker to force O/T against the Kings? What more do you want him to do, write them all motivational letters?

1. he leads in assists because the lakers lack a true point guard AND kobe's the one with the ball. i refuse to believe (especially after the begining of the season and the 3 wins in last years playoffs) that the lakers need to be spoon fed. if kobe was a good leader he'd be able to give them the confidence that they obviously lack.
2. when kobe started scoring all these rediculous points after the all star break.....what was the lakers' record, after the all star break i'm talking about??
3. again lack of faith in his players, a leader would be able to facilitate with that and break through in the playoffs, i mean shit we lost to some BAAAD teams this year. also what happened to everyone saying the lakers have awesome players?? now they're bad?? which is it!??
4. if kobe was able to instill confidence in his players like he did in last years playoffs (which he also dissappeared) he wouldn't HAVE to be worn down by the 4th quarter.
5. those are a FEW examples against some PRETTY mediocre teams LOl. wow we shouldn't have even been in those possitions against them if we had the "MVP" on our team. again those are only a FEW examples, they did work yeah, but it's not consistant enough ....that should be OBVIOUS

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2007, 01:48:54 PM »

Because Malone and Barkley had arguably better seasons when they won the MVP

LOL yah they had better seasons because they LEAD better, not because their numbers were better, jodan had better numbers those years

...Nash hasn't. It's one thing if Kobe has the supporting cast and is EXPECTED to do some damage in the playoffs...It's another thing when his teammates are comprised of D-League level talent and he leads them to the playoffs. THAT is a leader. Nash is a point guard, he's meant to lead that offense, it doesn't make him an MVP.

you must not be a magic johnson fan then , huh. fact of the matter is this , the suns crumble without nash, but soar to HIGH heights with him. the lakers live and die with or without kobe.....that right there says it all

Dirk is not a great leader, the Lakers would be a lottery team with Dirk instead of Kobe...Those 50 point games are what saved the battered Lakers, Jake, you should know that. Without Kobe, there's no chance we'd be anywhere near the playoffs. Kobe is by far the best player in the league and means the most to his team...Try explaining how that's not an MVP without using the "his team is no good" argument, because that's a cop out. MVP is an INDIVIDUAL award, and no one does it better individually than Kobe.

how do we know this? dirk has a team built around him and his style, kobe has a team built around him and his style, if dirk was in LA he wouldn't have the same players around him.....and if he did it's impossible to say whether or not he'd succeed or fail since it hasn't happened and proabbly won't.  all i know is the lakers have had more success when kobe had faith in his players. the whole point is kobe shouldn't have to score 50 points for the lakers to win. they should be mentally able as a team not to rely on that, and the blame goes back to kobe since he's the leader. dirk flaked in the first round that is true, but who did he face ,lol , the coach who MADE him a star. bad contingency, not bad leadership

Didn't you say you wanted Carmelo for Kobe? Come on, Jake...I know you love Shaq, but it's time to steer your love in the right direction, homie...PeACe

right now that looks better , aside from his suspention, he's been proving since his rookie season he's capable of taking a low class team to a higher level.  the lakers have been bottom feeding since shaq left. i dont' know you do the math

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2007, 02:12:42 PM »

1. he leads in assists because the lakers lack a true point guard AND kobe's the one with the ball. i refuse to believe (especially after the begining of the season and the 3 wins in last years playoffs) that the lakers need to be spoon fed. if kobe was a good leader he'd be able to give them the confidence that they obviously lack.
2. when kobe started scoring all these rediculous points after the all star break.....what was the lakers' record, after the all star break i'm talking about??
3. again lack of faith in his players, a leader would be able to facilitate with that and break through in the playoffs, i mean shit we lost to some BAAAD teams this year. also what happened to everyone saying the lakers have awesome players?? now they're bad?? which is it!??
4. if kobe was able to instill confidence in his players like he did in last years playoffs (which he also dissappeared) he wouldn't HAVE to be worn down by the 4th quarter.
5. those are a FEW examples against some PRETTY mediocre teams LOl. wow we shouldn't have even been in those possitions against them if we had the "MVP" on our team. again those are only a FEW examples, they did work yeah, but it's not consistant enough ....that should be OBVIOUS

CRAP like that is exactly why Nash is un-deservedly a 2 time MVP. If Kobe's teammates play like ass you can't place all the blame on him just because he's the leader of the team. McGrady had what 29 points & 13 assists in game 7 vs Utah...are you gonna say its his fault they lost that game?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2007, 03:09:10 PM »
Nash helps to MAKE his teammates better imo, so that does qualify him as an MVP candidate.

teecee

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »
Steve Nash.

You really think this? LMAO. Shows how stupid you really are...

Pretty much alll the players who've played against Kobe have said he was by far the best. It's not even a question who would win the MVP if the players voted.

"Kobe's the best player on the planet"
-Mike D'Antoni
[/quote)

Kobe is definitely the best athlete and the most talented player in the NBA, but he is NOT the most valuable player.  As for regular season, its gotta be Nash, Nowitzki, then Kobe.  Kobe will get one as soon in the next couple of years though, i am sure of it.  He's too good not to, he just has to mature a little.

teecee

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2007, 03:28:18 PM »

LOL. Is that why Dirk is getting it this year? Is that why Nash got it last year when he was 1 rebound away from being bounced? Please make valid points, a regular season award has nothing to do with how a team does in the playoffs. And AGAIN, it's an INDIVIDUAL award...PeACe

Enough of this "one rebound" bullshit, how many times you have to post that shit?  NAsh led his team from being down 3-1 to beat your Lakers, and the SUNS were fucking awesome in game 7, even Kobe quit.   

BUt really, some of you guys are truly pissed that Kobe is not getting his MVP love, and truly mad that Nash has won a couple!  IT's almost comical!  Why does it matter so much?  Even if Koe never wins an MVP (i bet he wins at least two before he is done) he will go down as one of the greatest ever, and will be considered a better player than Nash.  But the thing is, Nash has been the MVP the past two years............in fact, Lebron was better than Kobe last year too. 

I've got a feeling some of ya'll think the MVP has to be a guy who shoots 50 times a game, instead of someone who can actually shoot 50 percent a game. 

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2007, 03:52:55 PM »
if the players were to vote for the MVP they'd vote for Dirk or nash. or the majority of them would , because they know what the MVP trophy really is. it's not the "Player of the Year" trophy , it's the "leader of the Year" trophy.

Wow! So Dirk is the "leader of the Year"? Mmmm..

Or you wanna sell me he was been the leader of the year from the 1st to the 82nd game of the season and he became a bitch from the 83rd to the 88th? See, that's why those type of trophies are really stupid and most of the times you make a fool of yourself by giving it to a guy who still has to win the games that really matters. I think they should rename it to "Best Player in the League" trophy and stick with it. Fuck the record, fuck all this bullshit. Who's the best one? Kobe? Ok, Kobe gets it. Then they should give the MVP trophy to the leader of the team who wins the NBA. So you have two good thophies and you celebrate both the best player and the most decisive to win the title.

What's the point having an MVP of the regular season who's 90% of the times different from the MVP of the PlayOff? It's just a couple of extra games, not a whole different season. Just give it to the leader of the championship team. And give a Best Player type of trophy after the regular season to the best player.

1. yes dirk is the leader of the year ....or nash. whoever out of those two should win it for the regular season.. because the MVP is for the regular season....the post season is a seperate season all together.

Homie i'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying i disagree with this shit. What the hell is an MVP of the regular season?? Of the regular season? It shouldn't even matter, man. Who gives a shit about the regular season anyway. If you have the best record in the regular season you can be eliminated from the team with the worst record of the PlayOff in 6 games in the first round, man. With the "MVP" playing horrible and def not playing as a leader. Didn't you see it? So is it really important to you that Dirk led the Mavs to have that record in the regular season? To me it doesn't mean shit. And the Warriors advancing to Round 2 is the proof. The PlayOff is not a separate season, man! It's just the end of the pre-season, let's call it like that. Imho they should give two trophies: 1) NBA Finals MVP, 2) Best Player Of The Year. And both of them should be given after the season is officially over (after a team wins it all in the NBA Finals), so that way you could have a better global vision of it all. And if Kobe is at the same time the best player in the NBA and the player who has had the best individual season, who give a shit if he'll gets it for 5-6 straight years? If he deserves them, what's the problem?

But ok, even if prefeer the MVP throphy intended as the "leader of the year" award i say it's wrong to separate the regular season from the playoffs. They should give the MVP throphy after the Playoffs ends. Why? Because immagine the Suns going to the Western Conference Finals! This year they could have given the throphy to Nash instead than to Dirk. And then they could have given the NBA Finals MVP Throphy to... let's say Rasheed Wallace. So the real best players of the year. This way Dirk will get it in the worst season his team has had since he joined the Mavs. So he led his team to that failure. But still he's the MVP?? You know what i mean?

In the last 10 years just 3 times the MVP Award winner led his team to the NBA Title. That makes this Award def less important than the NBA Finals MVP Award, imho.

Shaq won the MVP Award 1 time, but he has won 4 rings with 3 NBA Finals MVP Awards won.
Nash has 2 maybe 3 MVP Awards and has no rings.

4. on your last point.... why give an all star mvp then?

The All-Star game is just a joke. Nothing serious. The important thing is to be there. The game itself is just a friendly match imho. Bryant won 2 All-Star MVP's, but they means SHIT to me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 04:07:28 PM by Antonio »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2007, 05:44:54 PM »

Dirk is getting it for a fact? Damn, we so priveledged to have an NBA insider on our very board. Please make valid points.

It's known that the voting is in Dirk's favor as of now, moron...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2007, 05:51:12 PM »

It's amazing how reply after reply, you fail to comprehend that Kobe is working with D-League level talent. You keep saying "if we had the MVP on our team blah blah blah". Holy shit man. Do you really think if we had Dirk or Nash on our team instead of Kobe we'd be better off? LMAO...And if you knew anything about the situation whatsoever, you'd understand that Kobe was forced to score all those points post all-star break due to the major injuries that started piling up, causing us to lack even more talent, and leaving us with players like Brian Cook, Andrew Bynum, and Maurice Evans starting. No, we're not a TERRIBLE team when at full strength, but nobody EVER said Kobe had AWESOME players to work with. You pulled that out of your own ass...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2007, 05:56:33 PM »

Because Malone and Barkley had arguably better seasons when they won the MVP

LOL yah they had better seasons because they LEAD better, not because their numbers were better, jodan had better numbers those years

...Nash hasn't. It's one thing if Kobe has the supporting cast and is EXPECTED to do some damage in the playoffs...It's another thing when his teammates are comprised of D-League level talent and he leads them to the playoffs. THAT is a leader. Nash is a point guard, he's meant to lead that offense, it doesn't make him an MVP.

you must not be a magic johnson fan then , huh. fact of the matter is this , the suns crumble without nash, but soar to HIGH heights with him. the lakers live and die with or without kobe.....that right there says it all

Dirk is not a great leader, the Lakers would be a lottery team with Dirk instead of Kobe...Those 50 point games are what saved the battered Lakers, Jake, you should know that. Without Kobe, there's no chance we'd be anywhere near the playoffs. Kobe is by far the best player in the league and means the most to his team...Try explaining how that's not an MVP without using the "his team is no good" argument, because that's a cop out. MVP is an INDIVIDUAL award, and no one does it better individually than Kobe.

how do we know this? dirk has a team built around him and his style, kobe has a team built around him and his style, if dirk was in LA he wouldn't have the same players around him.....and if he did it's impossible to say whether or not he'd succeed or fail since it hasn't happened and proabbly won't.  all i know is the lakers have had more success when kobe had faith in his players. the whole point is kobe shouldn't have to score 50 points for the lakers to win. they should be mentally able as a team not to rely on that, and the blame goes back to kobe since he's the leader. dirk flaked in the first round that is true, but who did he face ,lol , the coach who MADE him a star. bad contingency, not bad leadership

Didn't you say you wanted Carmelo for Kobe? Come on, Jake...I know you love Shaq, but it's time to steer your love in the right direction, homie...PeACe

right now that looks better , aside from his suspention, he's been proving since his rookie season he's capable of taking a low class team to a higher level.  the lakers have been bottom feeding since shaq left. i dont' know you do the math

Some of your arguments are ridiculous, dude. The Lakers LIVE without Kobe? You think the Lakers would be anything but the worst team in the league without Kobe? Seriously though, what are you saying? Nash has a team built around him, everything is worked out, he just needs to execute what's already planned and his teammates will do the rest. He's the only true point guard on the team, so of course the system fails without him, he runs it. That's far from what makes someone the best in the league. REGARDLESS, replace Kobe with Nash on the Lakers, and you have the worst team in the NBA. Make sense out of that.

PS Carmelo AND Iverson with a nice supporting cast can't get out of the first round, buddy. LMFAO@Carmelo for Kobe. :puke:

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »
Nash helps to MAKE his teammates better imo, so that does qualify him as an MVP candidate.

So by your standards, only point guards should win the MVP... ::)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2007, 05:59:17 PM »
in fact, Lebron was better than Kobe last year too. 

Ahahahahahaha...This is just too much, and it now explains EVERYTHING.