Author Topic: For those who think Kobe should've won MVP..........  (Read 873 times)

teecee

For those who think Kobe should've won MVP..........
« on: May 11, 2007, 01:56:44 PM »
Check this from SLAM:

"For those who continue to believe that Kobe Bryant should have won, it’s worth noting here that of the five MVPs Michael Jordan won in his career, only ONE, his first, came in a year when his team didn’t win at least 60 regular-season games and the division title. That first one came in the 1988 season when he averaged a league-leading 35 points (while shooting 53 percent from the floor), 5.9 assists and 5.2 rebounds per. Oh yeah, he also averaged 3.2 steals and a career-high 1.6 blocks and was named Defensive Player of the Year. I guess what I’m trying to say is THAT’S what it took for Jordan to win an MVP when his team wasn’t at a championship level (they still won 50 games). Maybe Kobe still has a little way to go.

In fact, in the entire HISTORY of the award, team record has ALWAYS played a role. I always go back to the amazing ‘61-62 season when Oscar Robertson averaged a 30.8 point, 11.4 assist, 12.5 rebound triple-double and Wilt Chamberlain averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds per (and dropped 100 on the Knicks) and the MVP went to…Bill Russell. Russ only averaged 18.9 points and 23.6 rebounds a game that year, but his Celtics? They won 60 games and the Eastern Conference. (In a somewhat odd twist, Russell was named MVP that season yet was not named to the All-NBA First Team.)"

Couldn't have put it better myself.  Of course, someone from the "MEDIA" wrote this, so it could be complete bullshit, right???

Sanford - V. President of the Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The movement is Suckaa Free.
Re: For those who think Kobe should've won MVP..........
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 02:06:48 PM »
he is one of the best players in the league.

i wouldnt mind if he was named MVP.

if you take Dirk away from the Mavs, they are still a playoff team.
if you take away Nash from the Suns, they are still a playoff team

however,
if you take Kobe away from the Lakers, they would be nowhere near the playoff chase.

of course, just my oppinion.  8)

Pick up 2 gats like Riley with a full 16 clip, on some sick shit like Lynch, while rippin a bitch's clit with beyonce's mouth on the tip of my dick.

Dangerous Crew Beeyatch!

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 02:10:56 PM »
I would put Kobe at number 2 on the list of MVP candidates this season, this is just Dirk's year and he deserves it. But there's no excuse for Kobe not winning it last season or in 03.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 02:16:16 PM »
LOL...Typical BS. You do realize that Kobe is KNOWN to be a hated athlete and garbage like this gets printed all the time, right?...Moses Malone won the MVP when they had the same record as the Lakers! There goes that argument down the drain...And Kobe has had CONSECUTIVE remarkable seasons, and is UNDENIABLY the best player in the league.

Last year: 1st Team All-NBA, 1st Team All-Defense, Scoring title 35.4 PPG, Top 10 steals, historic 81 point game, historic 62 points in 3 quarters (outscoring Mavs), leading a team with D-League level talent playing major roles into the NBA playoffs, if that's not MVP, what is?
And how bout this year?: 1st Team All-NBA AGAIN, 1st Team All-Defense AGAIN, Scoring title AGAIN with 32.8 PPG, All-Star MVP, leads team in assists, youngest to reach 16,000, youngest to reach 17,000 (in the same season :o), broke numerous records with all those 50+ point games, once again leads a team (this time a BATTERED team) with D-League level talent playing major roles into the NBA playoffs...MVP. MVP. 8)

teecee

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »
LOL...Typical BS. You do realize that Kobe is KNOWN to be a hated athlete and garbage like this gets printed all the time, right?...Moses Malone won the MVP when they had the same record as the Lakers! There goes that argument down the drain...And Kobe has had CONSECUTIVE remarkable seasons, and is UNDENIABLY the best player in the league.

Last year: 1st Team All-NBA, 1st Team All-Defense, Scoring title 35.4 PPG, Top 10 steals, historic 81 point game, historic 62 points in 3 quarters (outscoring Mavs), leading a team with D-League level talent playing major roles into the NBA playoffs, if that's not MVP, what is?
And how bout this year?: 1st Team All-NBA AGAIN, 1st Team All-Defense AGAIN, Scoring title AGAIN with 32.8 PPG, All-Star MVP, leads team in assists, youngest to reach 16,000, youngest to reach 17,000 (in the same season :o), broke numerous records with all those 50+ point games, once again leads a team (this time a BATTERED team) with D-League level talent playing major roles into the NBA playoffs...MVP. MVP. 8)

Hey guys, Kobe is an AMAZING athlete and definitely the most talented player in the game, and as i have said before, he WILL get a couple of MVP's before he's done. 

A couple of questions:  How does scoring 81 points in a game make someone the MVP???   
                                Kow does being the All-star game MVP make someone the MVP?
                                Wouldn't you say Mosaes Malone was an exception, therebye making the above argument from SLAM valid?

And one question i REALLY WANT THE ANSWER TO..........
                                    If the Lakers have "D-League" talent, then why did a couple of you guys pick them to beat the Suns and possibly win the
                                    championship?  Are ya'll really on Kobe like THAT???????????

I posted the bit from SLAM to show you that even MJ didn't get MVP love unless his team WON!   The only year he did, he had an even better year than Kobe had last year.  I don't even think its truly about stats, but until Kobe starts winning there is no basis for him to even be in the argument.

KOBE:
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
05-06 LAL 80 80 41.0 .450 .347 .850 0.9 4.4 5.3 4.5 1.8 0.4 3.13  2.9035.4

MJ:
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
 86-87  CHI    82 82 40.0 .482 .182 .857 2.0 3.2 5.2 4.6 2.88 1.52 3.32 2.90 37.1

87-88  CHI    82 82 40.4 .535 .132 .841 1.7 3.8 5.5 5.9 3.16 1.60 3.07 3.30 35.0   

88-89  CHI    81 81 40.2 .538 .276 .850 1.8 6.2 8.0 8.0 2.89 .80 3.58 3.00 32.5
 89-90  CHI    82 82 39.0 .526 .376 .848 1.7 5.1 6.9 6.3 2.77 .66 3.01 2.90 33.6

Jordan only won ONE MVP out of those 4 years, in 87-88, and he had to have 4 times as many steals, twice as many blocks, more assists, more rebounds, shoot 53 percent (Kobe shot 45%, guess how many MVP's have shot 45 percent???). 

Looking at his 88-89 numbers, wouldn't you guys say its crazy he didn't win?  32.5, 8, and 8, with almost 3 steals while shooting 54 percent???

Point is, it is near impossible to win the award without leading your team to a great record.  Kobe will eventually do it, and then he'll get his MVP. 

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:39:56 PM »
Point is, it is near impossible to win the award without leading your team to a great record.  Kobe will eventually do it, and then he'll get his MVP.

Even if he doesn't, he will get at least 1 MVP title. Unless someone shoots him in his knees tonight.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

teecee

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 02:45:52 PM »
Furthermore, in the last 23 years (probably more, i am too lazy to check) of bball, only one player has been awarded MVP while his team won less than 56 games, that being MJ, and the Bulls won 50 that year.  No MVP has been on a team that has finished lower than 3rd in the conference in the last 20 years (at least) either.

As for the shooting percentage thing, since 1956, only Allen Iverson has shot 45 percent or lower and still one the MVP.  Is it a wrap yet?????????  

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 02:49:04 PM »
Furthermore, in the last 23 years (probably more, i am too lazy to check) of bball, only one player has been awarded MVP while his team won less than 56 games, that being MJ, and the Bulls won 50 that year.  No MVP has been on a team that has finished lower than 3rd in the conference in the last 20 years (at least) either.

As for the shooting percentage thing, since 1956, only Allen Iverson has shot 45 percent or lower and still one the MVP.  Is it a wrap yet????????? 

Of course, and it should be like that. Nik is just being Nik. There is no merit in arguing over the same thing over and over again. I stopped participating in those Kobe/Nash arguments for a good reason.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »
In a somewhat odd twist, Russell was named MVP that season yet was not named to the All-NBA First Team.
That definatly says something.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:54:44 PM »

Hey guys, Kobe is an AMAZING athlete and definitely the most talented player in the game, and as i have said before, he WILL get a couple of MVP's before he's done. 

A couple of questions:  How does scoring 81 points in a game make someone the MVP???   
                                Wouldn't you say Mosaes Malone was an exception, therebye making the above argument from SLAM valid?

If the Lakers have "D-League" talent, then why did a couple of you guys pick them to beat the Suns and possibly win the

I posted the bit from SLAM to show you that even MJ didn't get MVP love unless his team WON!   The only year he did, he had an even better year than Kobe had last year.  I don't even think its truly about stats, but until Kobe starts winning there is no basis for him to even be in the argument.

KOBE:

MJ:
 86-87  CHI    82 82 40.0 .482 .182 .857 2.0 3.2 5.2 4.6 2.88 1.52 3.32 2.90 37.1

87-88  CHI    82 82 40.4 .535 .132 .841 1.7 3.8 5.5 5.9 3.16 1.60 3.07 3.30 35.0   

Jordan only won ONE MVP out of those 4 years, in 87-88, and he had to have 4 times as many steals, twice as many blocks, more assists, more rebounds, shoot 53 percent (Kobe shot 45%, guess how many MVP's have shot 45 percent???). 

Looking at his 88-89 numbers, wouldn't you guys say its crazy he didn't win?  32.5, 8, and 8, with almost 3 steals while shooting 54 percent???

The difference in percentages is only due to the fact that Kobe actually has range and Jordan didn't. Kobe has a 3point shot, and anyone who shoots threes will have a lower overall percentage than someone who doesn't. Look at Jordan's hideous percentage from 3 in the season you posted. Jordan had almost no shot that year, sorta like a Wade nowadays- Tremendous athlete, but not complete. Jordan had more to work with and did less. Kobe did some things in these past 2 seasons that Jordan could only dream of doing. Sure, you have a better chance when you win more, but even when Kobe's team DID win and he deserved the MVP, he STILL didn't get it. And if Moses Malone gets it with the same record as the Lakers, but a MUCH less spectacular season than Kobe, what does that tell you? I think even when Kobe does finally get the supporting cast he needs and leads them to a great record, he STILL wont recieve the MVP...That's just my opinion though, based on what I've seen...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 02:55:14 PM »
In a somewhat odd twist, Russell was named MVP that season yet was not named to the All-NBA First Team.
That definatly says something.

LOL, exactly...The MVP award is tainted. That's what we've BEEN saying.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 02:57:14 PM »
Furthermore, in the last 23 years (probably more, i am too lazy to check) of bball, only one player has been awarded MVP while his team won less than 56 games, that being MJ, and the Bulls won 50 that year.  No MVP has been on a team that has finished lower than 3rd in the conference in the last 20 years (at least) either.

As for the shooting percentage thing, since 1956, only Allen Iverson has shot 45 percent or lower and still one the MVP.  Is it a wrap yet????????? 

Of course, and it should be like that. Nik is just being Nik. There is no merit in arguing over the same thing over and over again. I stopped participating in those Kobe/Nash arguments for a good reason.

You think Nash deserved the MVP over Kobe last season? ???

:laugh:

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »

You think Nash deserved the MVP over Kobe last season? ???

:laugh:

Nash didn't even deserve it over Shaq the year before that

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 03:20:10 PM »

KOBE:

MJ:

The difference in percentages is only due to the fact that Kobe actually has range and Jordan didn't. Kobe has a 3point shot, and anyone who shoots threes will have a lower overall percentage than someone who doesn't. Look at Jordan's hideous percentage from 3 in the season you posted. Jordan had almost no shot that year, sorta like a Wade nowadays- Tremendous athlete, but not complete. Jordan had more to work with and did less. Kobe did some things in these past 2 seasons that Jordan could only dream of doing. Sure, you have a better chance when you win more, but even when Kobe's team DID win and he deserved the MVP, he STILL didn't get it. And if Moses Malone gets it with the same record as the Lakers, but a MUCH less spectacular season than Kobe, what does that tell you? I think even when Kobe does finally get the supporting cast he needs and leads them to a great record, he STILL wont recieve the MVP...That's just my opinion though, based on what I've seen...PeACe

Just as far as the 3's thing goes, in the 80's, 3 pointers weren't as big a part of the game as it is now. Kobe is a FANTASIC player, but he didn't have an MVP season, and while there may have been a few exceptions, I believe the MVP award winner should be from at least the best 2 or 3 teams at least.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 03:24:48 PM »

KOBE:

MJ:

Just as far as the 3's thing goes, in the 80's, 3 pointers weren't as big a part of the game as it is now. Kobe is a FANTASIC player, but he didn't have an MVP season, and while there may have been a few exceptions, I believe the MVP award winner should be from at least the best 2 or 3 teams at least.

Try telling that to Larry Bird.