Author Topic: For those who think Kobe should've won MVP..........  (Read 870 times)

floatin_above_everything

Re: For those who think Kobe should've won MVP..........
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 03:26:26 PM »
LOL...Typical BS. You do realize that Kobe is KNOWN to be a hated athlete and garbage like this gets printed all the time, right?...Moses Malone won the MVP when they had the same record as the Lakers! There goes that argument down the drain...And Kobe has had CONSECUTIVE remarkable seasons, and is UNDENIABLY the best player in the league.

Last year: 1st Team All-NBA, 1st Team All-Defense, Scoring title 35.4 PPG, Top 10 steals, historic 81 point game, historic 62 points in 3 quarters (outscoring Mavs), leading a team with D-League level talent playing major roles into the NBA playoffs, if that's not MVP, what is?
And how bout this year?: 1st Team All-NBA AGAIN, 1st Team All-Defense AGAIN, Scoring title AGAIN with 32.8 PPG, All-Star MVP, leads team in assists, youngest to reach 16,000, youngest to reach 17,000 (in the same season :o), broke numerous records with all those 50+ point games, once again leads a team (this time a BATTERED team) with D-League level talent playing major roles into the NBA playoffs...MVP. MVP. 8)

Hey guys, Kobe is an AMAZING athlete and definitely the most talented player in the game, and as i have said before, he WILL get a couple of MVP's before he's done. 

A couple of questions:  How does scoring 81 points in a game make someone the MVP???   
                                Kow does being the All-star game MVP make someone the MVP?
                                Wouldn't you say Mosaes Malone was an exception, therebye making the above argument from SLAM valid?

And one question i REALLY WANT THE ANSWER TO..........
                                    If the Lakers have "D-League" talent, then why did a couple of you guys pick them to beat the Suns and possibly win the
                                    championship?  Are ya'll really on Kobe like THAT???????????

I posted the bit from SLAM to show you that even MJ didn't get MVP love unless his team WON!   The only year he did, he had an even better year than Kobe had last year.  I don't even think its truly about stats, but until Kobe starts winning there is no basis for him to even be in the argument.

KOBE:
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
05-06 LAL 80 80 41.0 .450 .347 .850 0.9 4.4 5.3 4.5 1.8 0.4 3.13  2.9035.4

MJ:
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
 86-87  CHI    82 82 40.0 .482 .182 .857 2.0 3.2 5.2 4.6 2.88 1.52 3.32 2.90 37.1

87-88  CHI    82 82 40.4 .535 .132 .841 1.7 3.8 5.5 5.9 3.16 1.60 3.07 3.30 35.0   

88-89  CHI    81 81 40.2 .538 .276 .850 1.8 6.2 8.0 8.0 2.89 .80 3.58 3.00 32.5
 89-90  CHI    82 82 39.0 .526 .376 .848 1.7 5.1 6.9 6.3 2.77 .66 3.01 2.90 33.6

Jordan only won ONE MVP out of those 4 years, in 87-88, and he had to have 4 times as many steals, twice as many blocks, more assists, more rebounds, shoot 53 percent (Kobe shot 45%, guess how many MVP's have shot 45 percent???). 

Looking at his 88-89 numbers, wouldn't you guys say its crazy he didn't win?  32.5, 8, and 8, with almost 3 steals while shooting 54 percent???

Point is, it is near impossible to win the award without leading your team to a great record.  Kobe will eventually do it, and then he'll get his MVP. 

The difference in percentages is only due to the fact that Kobe actually has range and Jordan didn't. Kobe has a 3point shot, and anyone who shoots threes will have a lower overall percentage than someone who doesn't. Look at Jordan's hideous percentage from 3 in the season you posted. Jordan had almost no shot that year, sorta like a Wade nowadays- Tremendous athlete, but not complete. Jordan had more to work with and did less. Kobe did some things in these past 2 seasons that Jordan could only dream of doing. Sure, you have a better chance when you win more, but even when Kobe's team DID win and he deserved the MVP, he STILL didn't get it. And if Moses Malone gets it with the same record as the Lakers, but a MUCH less spectacular season than Kobe, what does that tell you? I think even when Kobe does finally get the supporting cast he needs and leads them to a great record, he STILL wont recieve the MVP...That's just my opinion though, based on what I've seen...PeACe

Just as far as the 3's thing goes, in the 80's, 3 pointers weren't as big a part of the game as it is now. Kobe is a FANTASIC player, but he didn't have an MVP season, and while there may have been a few exceptions, I believe the MVP award winner should be from at least the best 2 or 3 teams at least.

Try telling that to Larry Bird.

Bird was one of the few, don't nitpick. Much less 3 point shots were taken in the 80's, especially compared to nowadays, so it's wasn't as big a part of the game.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »
The 3 point game started becoming more popular in the mid-to-late 80's with Larry Bird and Michael Adams. Jordan NEVER had the range Kobe did, it's probably one of the weakest areas in his game.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 04:14:18 PM »
Well nowadays the game is just different, if Jordan was born 12 years later I'm sure he'd be a better 3 point shooter, no question.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 05:34:20 PM »
^LOL! Jordan's jumper in general was never close to being as good as Kobe's...

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »
^LOL! Jordan's jumper in general was never close to being as good as Kobe's...

I'm not saying he'd be no questions asked a better 3pt nigga than Kobe, I meant that he'd be a better 3pt shooter than his alter ego used to be.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »
^Maybe... but as of now, that's not that case.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 06:25:30 PM »
"Kobe did some things in these past 2 seasons that Jordan could only dream of doing"... LOL Jordan has done things throughout his whole career that Kobe can only dream of doing... and is striving to... with that being said, Jordan >>>>>>>> Kobe. No need for hypotheticals.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 06:43:01 PM »
"Kobe did some things in these past 2 seasons that Jordan could only dream of doing"... LOL Jordan has done things throughout his whole career that Kobe can only dream of doing... and is striving to... with that being said, Jordan >>>>>>>> Kobe. No need for hypotheticals.

Kobe=28, entering his prime
Jordan=45, done with his career.

:D

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 06:48:16 PM »

Like I said... Jordan has done things in his career that Kobe can only dream of accomplishing... and until he does, Jordan >>>> Kobe.

Saying that Kobe is still young and has ways to go only emphasizes what I just said. There's no point in saying "maybe by the time Kobe is done playing, he'll have accomplished more than Jordan".... is it possible? Sure, why not.  Doesn't change anything though.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 06:49:25 PM »
Knock Knock

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 06:51:15 PM »

Like I said... Jordan has done things in his career that Kobe can only dream of accomplishing... and until he does, Jordan >>>> Kobe.

Saying that Kobe is still young and has ways to go only emphasizes what I just said. There's no point in saying "maybe by the time Kobe is done playing, he'll have accomplished more than Jordan".... is it possible? Sure, why not.  Doesn't change anything though.

It's not just possible, it's probable...Based on individual talent, Kobe is already passed Jordan, which tells me there's a good chance he will surpass Jordan status-wise in the next few years as well...PeACe

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 07:06:19 PM »

It's not just possible, it's probable...Based on individual talent, Kobe is already passed Jordan, which tells me there's a good chance he will surpass Jordan status-wise in the next few years as well...PeACe

Like I said... the fact that people have to say "there's a good chance he will surpass Jordan" is them already admitting that Jordan >>>>> Kobe... and one does not base success on hypotheticals.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 07:13:41 PM »
We're talking about accomplishments, not talent...Talent-wise, Kobe > Jordan.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »
Knock Knock

teecee

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 07:25:48 PM »
We're talking about accomplishments, not talent...Talent-wise, Kobe > Jordan.

Talent wise, its close between Jordan and Kobe, too close to call.  I'd say these two are the two most talented players ever, at least as far as the players i hav ebeen fortunate enough to see.  

HOWEVER. How can you say Kobe is MORE talented?  Its obviously a bias man.  Kobe is a better shooter from outside the three, but even if you look at his shooting percentage WITHOUT the three, its still not that great.  Jordan had one of the best postup games of all time, could drive on ANYONE, and had the best fadeaway EVER.  

Kobe is great too, but kinda like Usher compared to the original MJ.  Similar dance moves, huge singles (Yeah), but no Thriller album.  

But who cares about talent, throw it out the window.  Bottom line is its all about accomplishments; there are lots of talented people who don't do shit, lots of brilliant peeps who don't even graduate high school.  Its all about utilizing your talent to ACHIEVE.

Kobe has to win 5 regular MVP's, 6 playoff MVP's, a couple defensive player of the year awards, etc before he is on MJ's level.  The good thing for Kobe is he is only 28.  At that age, Jordan only had 1 title.  This means Kobe has tons of time to do what MJ did, so if KObe is as great as you Lakers fans say, he will make it happen.  Fuck all the excuses, forget the drama, either he does it or he doesn't, simple as that.

Lastly, besides scoring 81 points in a game, what exactly has Kobe done in the past few seasons that Jordan "can only dream on doing?"  Please tell me Nik; just one other thing, thats all i ask.

Oh wait, i've got it.  Being up 3-1 in a series, and then not even showing up for game 7.  You're right, Jordan would never dream of that, he had way too much pride