Author Topic: Lakers owner gets probation, fine after guilty plea  (Read 252 times)

Wild_Elmo

Lakers owner gets probation, fine after guilty plea
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:34:35 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3004093

VISTA, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss pleaded guilty Tuesday to misdemeanor drunken driving.

Buss was sentenced to five years' probation and fined $1,900. He was not required to appear in court.

He also admitted he drove with a blood-alcohol level of .13 percent, above the state limit of .08 percent.

Buss owns a home in northern San Diego County and was arrested in nearby Carlsbad in May after being stopped for driving his gold Mercedes-Benz on the wrong side of the road.

Buss was under the influence of an unspecified drug but refused to take a chemical test, according to a criminal complaint filed by the district attorney's office. He was arrested after failing a field sobriety test.

Prosecutor William Wood said Tuesday there was no evidence that Buss had used any drugs.

The 74-year-old Lakers owner entered his plea in state court through defense attorney David Manning Chodos.

Chodos declined to comment after the hearing.

Buss released a statement through the team after his arrest saying he drove only a short distance but recognized it was a bad decision.

"I was wrong to do it. It was a mistake I will not make again," he said in the statement.

Judge Martin Staven ordered Buss to take part in a first-conviction program and attend a program administered by Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

A telephone message left for a Lakers spokesman was not immediately returned.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Wild_Elmo

Re: Lakers owner gets probation, fine after guilty plea
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:36:16 PM »
This dude has the money to make  anyone  come pick his ass up and drive him home, I don't understand this dumbshit.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Lakers owner gets probation, fine after guilty plea
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 02:11:33 PM »
Big shit.