Author Topic: Check it: "Kobe should take a page from LeBron's book"- FOx sports  (Read 1888 times)

teecee

Now, of course this is written by someone in the media, so it must be bullshit or further attemt to brainwash, but it does make some interesting points.

Kobe should take a page from LeBron's book

Mark Kriegel / FOXSports.com

As viewed from Los Angeles, a town that has been more egregiously indulgent of Kobe Bryant than any of its teen starlets, the Cavaliers post-game press conference came as a welcome event. After Cleveland's improbable victory over the Detroit Pistons, one would expect LeBron James at the podium. Less expected, however, was one Daniel "Boobie" Gibson, a second-round pick out of Texas.

LeBron James took Daniel Gibson under his wing, and 'Boobie' has paid him back in full. (Amy Sancetta / Associated Press)
At 21, Boobie's not much. He's neither big, nor, as his draft status suggests, did he arrive in Cleveland with much of a rep. In fact, he spent most of his rookie season — the regular portion of which concluded with averages of 16.5 minutes and 4.5 points — on the bench.

In other words, he's exactly the kind of scrub Kobe Bryant would whine about having to play with.

But there he was, the unlikely hero of an historic upset. His line in the boxscore included 31 points, 19 in the fourth quarter when Detroit and Rasheed Wallace imploded for the last time.

When asked to what he attributed his great good fortune, Gibson could not have been more clear.

"From day one," he said, "LeBron's been in my corner."

I found myself wondering if Kobe was watching. I sure hoped he was, as he had subjected me to a miserable couple of days during which he thought to air his demands. Said demands might be summarized thusly:

Trade me. I want to be a Laker. Trade me. I want to be a Laker. Trade me. I want to be a Laker for life.

Lindsay Lohan made more sense when the cops pulled her over on Sunset for suspicion of drunk driving.  HA HA HA

In keeping with this starlet theme, one can't help but think the timing of the tantrum had something to do with the ascent of James and the Cavaliers. Perhaps Kobe couldn't stand the lack of attention this time of year. Or, perhaps he knows that the comparison with LeBron James does not flatter him at all.

Bryant keeps complaining about the Lakers' lack of talent. But with the case of Boobie Gibson now in evidence, I would submit that there's not much difference between the talent level surrounding James and Bryant. In fact, let's dispatch right here with the fictitious notion that the Lakers without Kobe are a bunch of scrubs. LeBron James doesn't have anyone nearly as talented as Lamar Odom. The difference is how each star treats the talent around him.
Can you imagine any of the Lakers saying about Kobe what Gibson said about LeBron?

No.

Boobie Gibson went on about how James would encourage him after practice. "Keep shooting," he told the rookie. "Don't worry about nothing."

"My teammates," said James, "(are) my family."

To watch the Cleveland-Detroit series was to acknowledge James' greatness. He shoots when he has to, and from as far as need be. He can attack the rim like Bryant, but see the court like Magic Johnson. Still, his strength and quickness suggest yet another Laker legend, James Worthy. But even more striking than his individual attributes was the unmistakable sense that guys liked playing with, and for, LeBron James.

Last month, on the eve of the Cavaliers engagement with the Nets, Richard Jefferson was asked to assess the degree of difficulty in trying to guard James. The key, said Jefferson, was "he gets his teammates involved...It's not just the LeBron show. He's not a Kobe Bryant where he's just going to go out there and score at all costs."

Great players are supposed to endow the players around them with greatness. Kobe Bryant does not. While James is about winning, Kobe is about Kobe.

Kobe Bryant is driving a wedge between him and the rest of the Lakers.

In relation to his teammates, Bryant inhabits a parallel universe, separate and unequal. Perhaps you recall former Laker Chucky Atkins remarking with some frustration, "Kobe's the GM of this team." I'll not forget the way he showed up his teammate, Luke Walton, who had the temerity to pass the ball back to him during an overtime loss to the Knicks. And while there's some fantastic revisionism emanating from the Lakers' high command, you may remember that even his own coach couldn't stand him.

You think anything has really changed?

Kobe Bryant doesn't instill confidence in the guys in the locker room. He communicates by text message.

In fairness, it's worth mentioning that Bryant plays in the West, where the Cavaliers would have had a much more difficult time. Also, there were injuries to key Lakers this past season, especially the one to Lamar Odom. But this idea that Bryant cannot deign to trust his teammates is nonsense. No one's asking him to trust Boobie Gibson. Again, put Bryant in context: this is a guy who couldn't trust Shaquille O'Neal.

Kobe Bryant is going to be 29 soon, and entering his 12th NBA season. He provided a partial template for LeBron James. He was the first, a basketball prodigy with a huge sneaker deal before he left high school.

James is only 22, and about to play in his first Finals. But this gap in age and experience counts for nothing now. It is James who now sets the example. In watching him, Bryant may yet learn the difference between a starlet and a star.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Check it: "Kobe should take a page from LeBron's book"- FOx sports
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 11:43:22 PM »
good article, i couldn't have articulated that better.

fact of the matter is this. Kobe has ALL THE TALENT in the world, as does Lebron, Kobe has utilized every aspect of his talent, except one key aspect .....leadership and camaraderie. lebron has utilized that, and really has yet to utilize his full potential athletically, when and if he does it'll be scary. but lebron has the mental part of the game down, Kobe does not. that's what separates great players and heroes.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:03:19 AM »
I read that article every year with a different name...Wade, LeBron, T-Mac, Vince... :laugh:

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 01:10:48 AM »
Not a fair article at all. First of all, Lebron is only 22 - he has plenty of time left in his career (unless, God forbid, a Penny Hardaway like injury kicks in). Kobe is 28. In the prime of his career. He doesn't have time to sit back and wait for Smush Parker or Sasha Vujacic to develop.

Besides, Daniel Gibson was predicted to be a lottery pick, everyone was surprised he slipped all the way to the second round. It's not like Lebron is out there playing with a "scrub".

And like NIK said, its the same thing every year about a player in the Eastern Conference who has a very talented diamond in the ruff. Put Kobe in the East, on a team with a coach that doesn't despise rookies, and give him some talented young players such as Marcus Williams, Jason Kapono, Dorrell Wright, or Daniel Gibson. It's not like Kobe made the management trade any players of that stature away.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 01:15:16 AM »
It's not surprising to me at all, though, that you take example from pure hate articles like this, containing nothing but bias. You truly can read this and say this guy doesn't have anything against Kobe? LMAO. And you have the audacity to call me bias?

Mark Kriegal is one of those guys who loves to bash the shit out of Kobe, you should know better... Dude said that Kobe isn't about winning! Think about it...LOL As if Kobe didn't instill his confidence in Smush for 2 years in a row? The Kobe haters wants people to believe the Cavs don't have a better supporting cast with experienced vets and all-star caliber players, he wants you to forget that Kobe is a much better defender than LeBron, yet the players on Cleveland are capable of playing superior TEAM defense to the Lakers...Article fits you perfect...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:17:16 AM »
Not a fair article at all. First of all, Lebron is only 22 - he has plenty of time left in his career (unless, God forbid, a Penny Hardaway like injury kicks in). Kobe is 28. In the prime of his career. He doesn't have time to sit back and wait for Smush Parker or Sasha Vujacic to develop.

Besides, Daniel Gibson was predicted to be a lottery pick, everyone was surprised he slipped all the way to the second round. It's not like Lebron is out there playing with a "scrub".

And like NIK said, its the same thing every year about a player in the Eastern Conference who has a very talented diamond in the ruff. Put Kobe in the East, on a team with a coach that doesn't despise rookies, and give him some talented young players such as Marcus Williams, Jason Kapono, Dorrell Wright, or Daniel Gibson. It's not like Kobe made the management trade any players of that stature away.

It's always like this with the great ones...When a player does something great, who are they ALWAYS compared to in the end? :D........ that alone says a lot.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 01:25:07 AM »

fact of the matter is this. Kobe has ALL THE TALENT in the world, as does Lebron, Kobe has utilized every aspect of his talent, except one key aspect .....leadership and camaraderie. lebron has utilized that, and really has yet to utilize his full potential athletically, when and if he does it'll be scary. but lebron has the mental part of the game down, Kobe does not. that's what separates great players and heroes.

couldnt have said it better

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 01:30:44 AM »

I'll say it better for you

what amazes me is how people ride lebron james over kobe. i don't see it. i can't wait til the olympics , i believe kobe will bring the gold back home.

;D

LegendaryEternallyCLE

• Lil Geezy
  • Cleveland is the City where I come from
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 06:53:37 AM »
It's not surprising to me at all, though, that you take example from pure hate articles like this, containing nothing but bias.

I'm not going to sit here and say LeBron is better then Kobe, but it seems to me has I read these boards that you are always quick to bash LeBron in every thread he is mentioned. And I just think you’re the last person that should be complaining about someone else writing an article on pure hate and bias. Seeing has you do it everyday.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 10:24:13 AM »
It's not surprising to me at all, though, that you take example from pure hate articles like this, containing nothing but bias.

I'm not going to sit here and say LeBron is better then Kobe, but it seems to me has I read these boards that you are always quick to bash LeBron in every thread he is mentioned. And I just think you’re the last person that should be complaining about someone else writing an article on pure hate and bias. Seeing has you do it everyday.

I think LeBron is a very good player with lots of room to grow. However, I do think he is highly overrated and is getting a lot of excessive media attention for being the hot player of the moment (ala Wade, Vince, T-Mac, etc.) and those players ALWAYS get compared to Kobe when it's all said and done year after year. Fact of the matter is, none of them are close, and the NBA can't have that...Kobe CAN NOT be the face of the league. It's my opinion, and I'd say my opinion is more credible than your typical Kobe-hating sports journalist. If you think otherwise, that's fine, but people need to quit acting like I'm saying shit that's out of line...PeACe

LegendaryEternallyCLE

• Lil Geezy
  • Cleveland is the City where I come from
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 02:09:35 PM »

I think LeBron is a very good player with lots of room to grow. However, I do think he is highly overrated and is getting a lot of excessive media attention for being the hot player of the moment (ala .) and those players ALWAYS get compared to Kobe when it's all said and done year after year. Fact of the matter is, none of them are close, and the NBA can't have that...Kobe CAN NOT be the face of the league. It's my opinion, and I'd say my opinion is more credible than your typical Kobe-hating sports journalist. If you think otherwise, that's fine, but people need to quit acting like I'm saying shit that's out of line...PeACe

I can see where you’re coming from but I still think you’re pretty harsh on LeBron. I see you mention Wade, Vince, T-Mac, etc, and putting James in that same class. But I don't think he is "this Year's hot player of the moment", I don't think that’s a fare assessment of how good he is no matter how overrated you think he is. I would think a Kobe fan of all people would understand how shitty it is to always be called the next... instead of just Kobe. I understand a lot of people get sick of hearing about how good LeBron is because it does seem like the media and advertisers are shoving him down your throat. But take it from me, I've been lucky enough to have seen him play since he was in 9th grade. His freshman high in H.S was my freshman year in college and he played all his home games in our arena about 3 blocks from my house (it was kind of sad that a H.S team would sell out all of their games and AKron U couldn't). But I 've seen him mature at an unbelievably fast pace all the while handling fame and fortue so well unlike any of the players you compare him too. He's not just the favor of the month he is the real deal. I'll never forget the day we (Cleveland) won that lottery and I knew it was fate, because I think to truely excel in Cleveland you have to understand the city and he does being our home town boy. And I tell you what, saturday night being at the Q watching Lebron hold that Eastern Conferance Trophy over his head, that was speacial, for me and for this city. He truely had the hunger and the drive to win, and he still wants more. Thats somthing you can never rate or overate.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 02:16:01 PM by Kane25420 »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 02:31:44 PM »

I think LeBron is a very good player with lots of room to grow. However, I do think he is highly overrated and is getting a lot of excessive media attention for being the hot player of the moment (ala .) and those players ALWAYS get compared to Kobe when it's all said and done year after year. Fact of the matter is, none of them are close, and the NBA can't have that...Kobe CAN NOT be the face of the league. It's my opinion, and I'd say my opinion is more credible than your typical Kobe-hating sports journalist. If you think otherwise, that's fine, but people need to quit acting like I'm saying shit that's out of line...PeACe

I can see where you’re coming from but I still think you’re pretty harsh on LeBron. I see you mention Wade, Vince, T-Mac, etc, and putting James in that same class. But I don't think he is "this Year's hot player of the moment", I don't think that’s a fare assessment of how good he is no matter how overrated you think he is. I would think a Kobe fan of all people would understand how shitty it is to always be called the next... instead of just Kobe. I understand a lot of people get sick of hearing about how good LeBron is because it does seem like the media and advertisers are shoving him down your throat. But take it from me, I've been lucky enough to have seen him play since he was in 9th grade. His freshman high in H.S was my freshman year in college and he played all his home games in our arena about 3 blocks from my house (it was kind of sad that a H.S team would sell out all of their games and AKron U couldn't). But I 've seen him mature at an unbelievably fast pace all the while handling fame and fortue so well unlike any of the players you compare him too. He's not just the favor of the month he is the real deal. I'll never forget the day we (Cleveland) won that lottery and I knew it was fate, because I think to truely excel in Cleveland you have to understand the city and he does being our home town boy. And I tell you what, saturday night being at the Q watching Lebron hold that Eastern Conferance Trophy over his head, that was speacial, for me and for this city. He truely had the hunger and the drive to win, and he still wants more. Thats somthing you can never rate or overate.

Props. I respect your opinion. You are way more mature than most of the posters on here...PeACe

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 03:18:28 PM »
Damn, your pathetic for sifting through 7 months of threds just to find a quote to attempt to make yourself look good. People's minds change, Kobe's attitude this season helped change alot of opinions on him.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 03:46:53 PM »

I'll say it better for you

what amazes me is how people ride lebron james over kobe. i don't see it. i can't wait til the olympics , i believe kobe will bring the gold back home.

;D

at that point lebron really didn't show me anything that t-mac and vince carter have already showed me.  like a million people said after game 5. we watched lebron james become a man that night.  what i said about lebron from what happenedfrom december 06 and before that i still stand by. but game 5 was a benchmark in his career. 

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 10:33:55 PM »
This is definitely an overtypical article bashing Kobe, just as many others are. I think there is SOME truth in there...but this article doesn't even begin to acknowledge ANYTHING that Kobe does better than Lebron, whether it's on the court, off the court, physically or mentally.

I don't think Lebron is a flavor of the month, and they've been wanting to crown him the "next major star" every since HS when they televised his games. They would have hyped him up even more than D Wade last year when he won the championship...but they couldn't, because Lebron didn't make it to the third round. Just as they barely mentioned Lebron in the playoffs after he was eliminated, it's been the exact same way for D. Wade this year. However...the fact that Kobe still remains to be the talk of the league every year, even when his team doesn't make the finals, says something major.