Author Topic: XL Middleton & Crooked I Are "Major" (New Single Download!)  (Read 527 times)

SGV

Re: XL Middleton & Crooked I Are "Major" (New Single Download!)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 08:42:03 PM »
When East Coast cats hop on some Boom Bap shit like that Classic joint it is dope... Reason why is because they don't do it often. How often do you hear cats like Jigga, Jim Jones, Jadakiss, Jae Millz etc. come out on some Boom Bap shit? Rarely, if at all. Out West, it seems they can't get away from that old G-Funk sound and shit gets tired, for me. Not even the West, its L.A. to be specific. Snoop and them never got over G-Funk and they've been doing it even after it burned out. So for people like me who want to hear something new, we think that shit is played.

What do I think the New West should sound like? Nothing like the old West, period. When I hear a cat like Omar Cruz, I don't think Down South or New York, I think L.A. I think Cali. I think West Coast. Hes not all G-Funked out. To me thats what the New West should sound like. Ya Boy is another example. Thats what the New West should sound like to me. Its not new if it sounds like the same old shit.

tALLkAN

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Whats GOOD?
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 08:43:30 PM »
The beat is on point. Old school or new. Clean shit XL 8)

EFFeX

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 06:21:36 AM »
all 3 came correct on it... the beat definitely has that "old west" feel to it, but i still like "old west" beats, so i ain't complaining... overall i thought it was a hot track... props for this XL... looking forward to hearing more from you

i can feel that my only thing is, i wonder what people think the "new west" should sound like??? most cats trying out different shit out here are just copying off east coast or southern styles.

furthermore, why does any west coast hip hop with a funky twist to it get criticized so much? when kanye, krs, nas, and rakim did that "classic" song over the primo beat, nobody said "aw man this sounds like some old 1998 east coast shit". what's the difference? and im not asking rhetorically nor trying to get under anyone's skin. i'm asking this to get a good discussion going.

Just do you man... you are helping create the NEW west...

As far as "funky twist" tracks go, that's my favorite type of music... I mean I can respect each individuals taste in music, but I don't understand how someone can say something doesn't sound like "new west". Maybe if someone has a different idea of what the beats should sound like they should create them on their own. The track "Major" sounds fresh and up-to-date as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:24:50 AM by EFFeX »

XL Middleton

• Crown City Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.xlmiddleton.com
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 09:30:34 AM »
When East Coast cats hop on some Boom Bap shit like that Classic joint it is dope... Reason why is because they don't do it often. How often do you hear cats like Jigga, Jim Jones, Jadakiss, Jae Millz etc. come out on some Boom Bap shit? Rarely, if at all. Out West, it seems they can't get away from that old G-Funk sound and shit gets tired, for me. Not even the West, its L.A. to be specific. Snoop and them never got over G-Funk and they've been doing it even after it burned out. So for people like me who want to hear something new, we think that shit is played.

What do I think the New West should sound like? Nothing like the old West, period. When I hear a cat like Omar Cruz, I don't think Down South or New York, I think L.A. I think Cali. I think West Coast. Hes not all G-Funked out. To me thats what the New West should sound like. Ya Boy is another example. Thats what the New West should sound like to me. Its not new if it sounds like the same old shit.

i hear you that makes sense. and yeah O. Cruz and Ya Boy are dope, good examples, and they got their own styles.

i think everyone is saying some real shit so far, and @ everyone else nah i'm not going to let the opinions of a few change my style (even if i respect those opinions) cuz at the end of the day i am just gonna do what i do.  but you know i still like to get involved with everyone and really discuss and see where people are coming from, cuz i feel like everyone's opinion is valid even if we don't see eye to eye on everything.
XLMIDDLETON.COM
TWITTER.COM/XLMIDDLETON
FACEBOOK.COM/XLMIDDLETON
YOUTUBE.COM/XLMIDDLETONMUSIC
MYSPACE.COM/XLMIDDLETON

Diggfinger

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 10:40:13 AM »
I liked the track (which is saying alot seeing as how I barely listen to rap anymore).

Good beat too.

Digg's up!

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 08:21:59 PM »
DOPE TRACK,PROP TO EVERYONE ON THAT TRACK! SHIT HITS HARD!!! ONE OF MY SUMER JAM!

NEW WEST!!!! 07 WEST Y'ALL !!!!  8)

Blu Lacez

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »

After bumpin the track over a few times here are my thoughts.

1.Beat-First of all i had no idea what the beat was going to sound like!! Then When i read Crooked I was featured on the track, i kinda expected a "certain type of beat"..hard hitting, "monster of a beat"-for lack of a better phrase, but instead what we have is a smooth beat, with a sharp chorus!!
& Crooked I comes off heated and seems to match the beat perfectly-So i guess that was A delighted surprise!!

Both You & Black, did you thing, which is expected-To do less would not be XL or Black!! ;D

2. The Lyrics are on point!! Good to see Crooked I being asked to feature on a track-as oppose to doin freestyle! Job well done XL on that!

Those are just my two thoughts on the track!

Another good track XL!!
Waiting for the album!!

P.S Are You Gon feature 1st Born or any of the other artist from Herbal Liqour???

Blu!

Hoodlum204

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Thats Why I Fucked Your Bitch!!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »
If Anything XL is in my top 5 for the new west! i just don't like the beat! as i said! the verses are madd! XL's production is always TOP NOTCH! i just simple and plain wasn't feelin this one! but i do think that XL is one of the front runners for bringing the west back!

i know XL won't let me down. i got half the catalogue so one song is not guna throw me off!

keep doing ya thang XL.

BigG

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »
XL this is real dope.

Ur music is real dope.  i was listening to ur other cds and i was just like damn why cant other rappers use these kind of dope westcoast beats on their cds.
The songs on those cds are real dope.

thats cool that ur gonna do u cus some people be saying the beats are dated or whutever.
if i want to listen to some new style type beats then ima listen to the fixxers.

But when i wanna listen to some dope laydback westcoast tracks ima put on some XL middleton.

everybody dont gotta sound the same.
http://www.myspace.com/sickeyesbeats

^^Check out my westcoast beats

XL Middleton

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.xlmiddleton.com
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 01:31:50 PM »
i appreciate that every1 is keepin it 100% with their comments, not everyone is gonna like everything and that's all right.

i've thought a little more about the discussions we've been having in this thread. i don't think that G-Funk really exists anymore, just because a West Coast artist is using aspects of a trademark sound that originated in their region doesn't make it "G-Funk". believe me, I THINK G-FUNK IS DEAD quote me on that, but Funk (and there's a massive difference between Funk & G-Funk) can still exist because it existed before rap, where u think G-Funk came from when it was hot in the 90's? basically when i sit down to make beats i listen to OG shit like Cameo, Confunkshun, Gap Band, One Way, all the great funk bands from back then, that's my favorite music on a personal level so it inspires me the most to do what I do. I feel that funk became the embodiment of our trademark sound, what we need IMO is not to take it back to the old school 1990's sound, but instead to use that musical influence to create something new. Yes, believe it or not I've been striving to create something that sounds new while still noticeably West Coast. To that end, I've taken aspects of Crunk, Hyphy, East Coast, every other subgenre in hip hop that's out there and added a little bit of it into the mix without blatantly copying. On top of that don't forget that I'm listening to other types of music besides hip hop and that's in the mix as well. Isn't that what hip hop always has been? a sort of mashup of elements? Hip hop has always incorporated elements of blues, R&B, jazz, soul, funk, you name it, it's in there somewhere. I've just found where I fit in because it's the type of stuff that I like. Besides that, in my lyrics I've upped the ante as far as content and concepts, I don't rap about stereotypical West Coast shit like chucks & 64's, there's so much more to our way of life, shit that has never been covered by any rap artists ever and I strive to bring that to the table.

Furthermore, it's easy to characterize any West Coast artist as G-Funk if you hear some melody on the chorus, if you hear those smooth chords or big basslines. But think about this - under those standards, wouldn't a song like Mike Jones' "Flossin" or that song that David Banner did with Jazze Pha count as "G-Funk" too? but we don't think of it like that just because it's not from the West. Think about it...
XLMIDDLETON.COM
TWITTER.COM/XLMIDDLETON
FACEBOOK.COM/XLMIDDLETON
MYSPACE.COM/XLMIDDLETON

F Major

• Lil Geezy
  • Altruwest Productions, Get Addicted
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »
i appreciate that every1 is keepin it 100% with their comments, not everyone is gonna like everything and that's all right.

i've thought a little more about the discussions we've been having in this thread. i don't think that G-Funk really exists anymore, just because a West Coast artist is using aspects of a trademark sound that originated in their region doesn't make it "G-Funk". believe me, I THINK G-FUNK IS DEAD quote me on that, but Funk (and there's a massive difference between Funk & G-Funk) can still exist because it existed before rap, where u think G-Funk came from when it was hot in the 90's? basically when i sit down to make beats i listen to OG shit like Cameo, Confunkshun, Gap Band, One Way, all the great funk bands from back then, that's my favorite music on a personal level so it inspires me the most to do what I do. I feel that funk became the embodiment of our trademark sound, what we need IMO is not to take it back to the old school 1990's sound, but instead to use that musical influence to create something new. Yes, believe it or not I've been striving to create something that sounds new while still noticeably West Coast. To that end, I've taken aspects of Crunk, Hyphy, East Coast, every other subgenre in hip hop that's out there and added a little bit of it into the mix without blatantly copying. On top of that don't forget that I'm listening to other types of music besides hip hop and that's in the mix as well. Isn't that what hip hop always has been? a sort of mashup of elements? Hip hop has always incorporated elements of blues, R&B, jazz, soul, funk, you name it, it's in there somewhere. I've just found where I fit in because it's the type of stuff that I like. Besides that, in my lyrics I've upped the ante as far as content and concepts, I don't rap about stereotypical West Coast shit like chucks & 64's, there's so much more to our way of life, shit that has never been covered by any rap artists ever and I strive to bring that to the table.

Furthermore, it's easy to characterize any West Coast artist as G-Funk if you hear some melody on the chorus, if you hear those smooth chords or big basslines. But think about this - under those standards, wouldn't a song like Mike Jones' "Flossin" or that song that David Banner did with Jazze Pha count as "G-Funk" too? but we don't think of it like that just because it's not from the West. Think about it...

......"Thank youuuuuuuuu"

XL Middleton

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.xlmiddleton.com
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 01:12:43 AM »
^^^u already know boss...
XLMIDDLETON.COM
TWITTER.COM/XLMIDDLETON
FACEBOOK.COM/XLMIDDLETON
MYSPACE.COM/XLMIDDLETON