Author Topic: Who owns L.A.?  (Read 2613 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Who owns L.A.?
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2007, 05:28:10 PM »
let's do a quick recap here

NIK is doing this:

-making assumptions based on ONE store
-making assumptions from light hearted observations
-making assumptions from one game at dodger stadium
-making very GENERAL assumptions

Jacob id sdoing this:

-reporting from upper level university text books
-reporting from the wall street journal
-reporting from forbes
-reporting cold hard facts

Facts>>>>>assumptions

again the dodgers draw in more fans and sell more merchandise than the lakers do. the hispanic market is very strong.

^^LMAO. Your discrediting process sucks ass..

Fact- More people take up basketball than baseball nowadays
Fact- Team LA is the biggest LA sports market store in the country
Fact- Team LA sells more Laker gear than Dodger gear YEARLY
Fact- Lakers get more local coverage
Fact- Lakers sell out more games (home AND road)
Fact- Lakers are more popular.

THATS ALL THERE IS TO IT. WHAT IS YOUR ARGUMENT? What makes the Dodgers as popular as the Lakers nowadays? Turn on the fuckin radio, son!

Fact- The lakers arn't the reason why people take up basketball
Fact-  Team LA is not the only retailer that sell dodger/laker merchandise
Fact- The dodgers sell more officially licensed gear than the lakers
Fact- The biggest media outlet in LA , the Los Angeles times put the dodgers @ #1 and the lakers @#2
Fact- dodger stadium holds 56,000 fans , Staples holds 18-19,000, dodger stadium draws in more fans than staples
Fact- Dodgers are more important to LA than the Lakers

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2007, 08:00:01 PM »
Fact- The lakers arn't the reason why people take up basketball

More people like basketball, hence more people liking the Lakers.

It makes up for most of the official Laker and Dodger gear sold.

Including those LA hats? I have a few of those LA hats myself...So do many people I know who HATE baseball. How does this translate into Dodgers being more popular? What do you think sells more, Kobe jerseys, or a Russell Martin jerseys? THINK about it

Fact- The biggest media outlet in LA , the Los Angeles times put the dodgers @ #1 and the lakers @#2

This is the view of the writer, not the LA Times... and he's not talking about now, he's talking about overall.

Fact- dodger stadium holds 56,000 fans , Staples holds 18-19,000, dodger stadium draws in more fans than staples

You can't compare baseball stadiums to indoor basketball arenas. Two different worlds. Fact of the matter is, Lakers ALWAYS sell out, and Dodgers don't. The price of admission to a Laker game is more than triple the price of admission to a Dodger game. Higher demand. COMMON SENSE. Lakers make more money than Dodgers.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard labeled as a fact.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2007, 08:56:09 PM »

More people like basketball, hence more people liking the Lakers.

more YOUNGER people like basketball, but there's still too many older people out there and strags  that are die hard in LA over baseball

It makes up for most of the official Laker and Dodger gear sold.

not necessarily. if you're talking about mugs and novelty shirts yes. but overall general merchandise, it's only one store with a partial share of the market. that's a fact. dude

Including those LA hats? I have a few of those LA hats myself...So do many people I know who HATE baseball. How does this translate into Dodgers being more popular? What do you think sells more, Kobe jerseys, or a Russell Martin jerseys? THINK about it

lol see the dodgers cross over, they sell wether you're a die hard fan or not, lakers merchandise is limited to laker die hard fans who are willing to shell out 78 for a new jersey, dodgers merchandise is more universal.....hence that's why they sell more merchandise.....remember that's what we're arguing over here, the dodgers bring in more fans and more merchandise revenue. that LA logo makes the dodgers bank sir.

This is the view of the writer, not the LA Times... and he's not talking about now, he's talking about overall.

so then you admit overall, the dodgers are more important historically to the city of los angeles

[
quote author=Don Jacob link=topic=146333.msg1525776#msg1525776 date=1182472090]

You can't compare baseball stadiums to indoor basketball arenas. Two different worlds. Fact of the matter is, Lakers ALWAYS sell out, and Dodgers don't. The price of admission to a Laker game is more than triple the price of admission to a Dodger game. Higher demand. COMMON SENSE. Lakers make more money than Dodgers.[/quote]

the dodgers fill up 20,0000+ more easily. and the reason why seats are cheaper is because you have seating that is more far away from the action (which still sellls suprisingly) and it doesn't cost as much to maintain dodger stadium you don't need air conditioning and heating,ect. ect.  and it's because of that outdoor atmosphere you dont' see alot of rich celebs like denzel, tiger woods, leo dicaprio, jack, ellen, ect. ect. there it's not a social hang out it's a mecca for dodger fans/baseball fans. do you get what i'm saying. when you buy a laker ticket you're buying entry not only into a basketball event but a night club as well.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard labeled as a fact.

well you even said historically they are ,  8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2007, 09:41:02 PM »
Jake, it doesn't matter what you say...Lakers are a bigger name in LA AND universally...Lakers sell more merchandise and get more coverage. Lakers have higher demand for tickets and sell out more. There is nothing really to debate here, you can go around this all you want, but Lakers are hands-down locally more popular in this current day and age...

Wait a minute...I just remembered you're from Bakersfield. LMAO@your credibility in this argument. :-X

WestCoasta

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2007, 12:11:03 AM »
Dodgers    51%

Lakers       49%

yea that's about right, Dodgers take it by a hair!

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2007, 11:39:11 AM »
^^At leats you're not a "Laker fan" from Bakersfield tryna claim this...Honestly though, I know you people deep down inside understand that the Lakers are much bigger out here. You have to be BRAINDEAD to turn on some sports radio and still think the Dodgers are more popular than the Lakers...PeACe

teecee

« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2007, 11:55:21 AM »
^^At leats you're not a "Laker fan" from Bakersfield tryna claim this...Honestly though, I know you people deep down inside understand that the Lakers are much bigger out here. You have to be BRAINDEAD to turn on some sports radio and still think the Dodgers are more popular than the Lakers...PeACe

I don't live in L.A., but i will say that in other places the Lakers are much more visible, and always seem to have a huge star player or two, whereas the Dodgers don't really have any stars as of now.

But really, why does it matter?  Why is everyone so emotional about it?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2007, 12:00:36 PM »
^I'm not really emotional at all, just VERY SURPRISED that people actually believe the Dodgers are currently bigger than the Lakers..

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2007, 09:20:34 PM »

Jake, it doesn't matter what you say...Lakers are a bigger name in LA AND universally...
proof? and you already in a nut shell said historically the dodgers are bigger

Lakers sell more merchandise
again proof? my proof is in marketing text books , forbes, and wall street journal.  dodgers sell more merchandise

Lakers have higher demand for tickets and sell out more.

how can you say this when the dodgers sell more tickets in 82 than the lakers do?

There is nothing really to debate here, you can go around this all you want, but Lakers are hands-down locally more popular in this current day and age...

like i said, you only know what the YOUTH like more, old people are alll about baseball in la, go to hispanic neighborhoods and they're just as die hard for the dodgers as the lakers, some even more so.

Wait a minute...I just remembered you're from Bakersfield. LMAO@your credibility in this argument. :-X

i'm sorry i live an hour and 23 minutes away from dodgers stadium, i'm still someone who was born in the heart of LA and have family who reside there ,lol

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »

what does me living an hour and 23 minutes away from downtown LA have to do with anything? lol

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2007, 11:09:45 AM »
Sorry Jake...Regardless, your arguments hold no weight. LOL. Lakers are bigger than the Dodgers in terms of popularity out here, bottom line. I can tell you this from a 1st person perspective and from using common sense...Do me a favor though. Call in ANY sports radio show, and try to claim otherwise...I just wanna see how much they laugh at you. Don't forget to mention you're from Bakersfield.

TuSlic

« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2007, 12:22:12 PM »
let me start off by saying im a bigger laker fan then I am a dodger fan.  But the crowds at dodger stadium are shitting on any crowd at the staples center.  There aint nothing like going to a live dodger game, the atmosphere the people and just being outdoors with 50,000+ plus dodger fans & la people.  Dodgers play like 4 days in a row when there at home and always have 50,000 + fans there.  Everyone is wearing white and blue, then you gotta take into consideation that los angeles is a perdominantly hispanic city and thats who is mostly at the games.  Everyone there is wearing dodger gear, then on the streets I'd say 60% of young people own a dodger hat, out of all my homies I cant think of one that doesnt have a dodger hat, you see dodger hats, jackets, shirts everywhere.  Of course a lot of em are wearing them for the fact that it says la on it but that should show that dodger merchandice sells more.  Nobody wears them ugly ass laker hats and nobody wears laker gear unless there a fan.  You dont see cats going around wearing purple & gold.  Historically Los Angeles is a dodger city and it will always be.  Dodgers have a loyal fanbase even when they are loosing and nobody knows who is playing for them.   If kobe was gone and the lakers had 4-5 loosing seasons nobody would come to see them play.  If the staples center could hold 50,000 people it would never fill up.  I hate watching baseball on tv and would always watch a basketball game first but a game at dodger stadium > any laker game at staples.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 12:24:10 PM by TuSlic »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2007, 12:38:17 PM »
.  Dodgers have a loyal fanbase even when they are loosing and nobody knows who is playing for them. 

Imagine if the Dodgers actually had consistent winning teams, or a star that comes up like Kobe. 

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2007, 12:50:43 PM »
.  Dodgers have a loyal fanbase even when they are loosing and nobody knows who is playing for them. 

Imagine if the Dodgers actually had consistent winning teams, or a star that comes up like Kobe. 

Exactly why Lakers are more popular.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »
let me start off by saying im a bigger laker fan then I am a dodger fan.  But the crowds at dodger stadium are shitting on any crowd at the staples center.  There aint nothing like going to a live dodger game, the atmosphere the people and just being outdoors with 50,000+ plus dodger fans & la people.  Dodgers play like 4 days in a row when there at home and always have 50,000 + fans there.  Everyone is wearing white and blue, then you gotta take into consideation that los angeles is a perdominantly hispanic city and thats who is mostly at the games.  Everyone there is wearing dodger gear, then on the streets I'd say 60% of young people own a dodger hat, out of all my homies I cant think of one that doesnt have a dodger hat, you see dodger hats, jackets, shirts everywhere.  Of course a lot of em are wearing them for the fact that it says la on it but that should show that dodger merchandice sells more.  Nobody wears them ugly ass laker hats and nobody wears laker gear unless there a fan.  You dont see cats going around wearing purple & gold.  Historically Los Angeles is a dodger city and it will always be.  Dodgers have a loyal fanbase even when they are loosing and nobody knows who is playing for them.   If kobe was gone and the lakers had 4-5 loosing seasons nobody would come to see them play.  If the staples center could hold 50,000 people it would never fill up.  I hate watching baseball on tv and would always watch a basketball game first but a game at dodger stadium > any laker game at staples.

Based on personal preference, I enjoy going to a Laker game about a billion times more than a Dodger game. And it's not because I'm a Laker fan, it's just that basketball is a much faster pace sport and you can really get into the action, play for play. When I went to a Dodger game recently, it was like everyone was there to get drunk with their homies, and it seemed like people were more into doing waves and tossing beach balls around than actually watching the game...I mean, it's fun as hell, don't get me wrong, but it's a completely different experience. You don't tense up and cheer nearly as hard at Dodger games, especially in the NBA playoffs, where crowd tempo determines so much. You say Lakers would never fill 50,000 seats. Lakers would fill 500,000 seats if the prices of tickets were the same as Dodger tickets...I don't think Dodgers would be able to fill up half their seats if the tickets were as expensive as Laker tickets...And we're speaking on populrity here. The fact that people who don't give a fuck about Dodgers still buy LA hats doesn't mean Dodgers are more popular. Imagine if only Dodger fans wore those LA hats the same way only Laker fans sport Laker gear. You wouldn't even think of comparing them... As for your claim that people would lose interest in a losing Laker team. Try telling that to Sedale Threatt in '93 :D...PeACe
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:08:42 PM by Now_I_Know »