Author Topic: Ice Cube appreciation thread  (Read 377 times)

floatin_above_everything

Ice Cube appreciation thread
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:36:21 PM »
IIht so a few weeks ago, I copped a 30gig video ipod ( $190 with shipping, brand new 8) ) and I got all my music on there. I been going through each relevant artists discography, and I have to say Ice Cube's influence on the rest of the rap game had been lost on me for a minute.

He is the MOST successfully accomplished rapper/actor, both sales & respect wise. 4 certified classic solo albums, 1 great solo, a classic WSC album, and another realy solid one and let's not forget he wrote the majority of rap's most influential, controversial, ground breaking record ever ( Straight Outta Compton of course ). Listening to Cube's 1st 4 albums, I find it amazing that on almost every one of these songs, at least one rapper has either sampled the beat or lyrics from Cube. Shit Dogg Pound & Mack 10 made whole songs based on 1 fuckin bar from Cube's "Wrong Nigga to Fuck With": "It's the # 1 crew in the area/make a move for ya gat and i'll bury ya!" How about "Once again, it's on!" from "Nigga U Love To Hate". It is amazing how many of Cube's elements and lyrics have been used in songs since he did them.

Cube made hip hop edgy and "scary" to suburban America and he delivered his lyrics ( at the time, nobody was really spittin about shit like he did ), with such a fury and force, u really almost believed him "I get dough/but DON'T call me Doughboy/This ain't no fuckin motion picture..." His acting record speaks for itself: "Are We There Yet 1 & 2" not great movies, but blockbusters none the least. The "Friday" series is classic considered by ALL races. The "Barbershop" series was great, and very profitable as well, and even movies like "Tresspass", "Dangerous Ground", "Anaconda" and one other joint he did in like 95-96 were all box offices smashes. Need I even mention his CLASSIC performances in "Boyz In The Hood" & "Higher Learning"?

As I been listening to my Ipod on shuffle while writing this thread, already 3 different songs, 3 different artists have mentioned Ice Cube by name alone ( Hov, Em & C-Bo ). Ironic, huh? While me personally would still put Nas as my favorite ( therefore the best ) emcee, but again, Cube is the most accomplished, successful, influential rapper ever, and we will never see somebody like this ever again. Time to give it up for this dude.

Lunatic

Re: Ice Cube appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:41:12 PM »
IIht so a few weeks ago, I copped a 30gig video ipod ( $190 with shipping, brand new 8) ) and I got all my music on there. I been going through each relevant artists discography, and I have to say Ice Cube's influence on the rest of the rap game had been lost on me for a minute.

He is the MOST successfully accomplished rapper/actor, both sales & respect wise. 4 certified classic solo albums, 1 great solo, a classic WSC album, and another realy solid one and let's not forget he wrote the majority of rap's most influential, controversial, ground breaking record ever ( Straight Outta Compton of course ). Listening to Cube's 1st 4 albums, I find it amazing that on almost every one of these songs, at least one rapper has either sampled the beat or lyrics from Cube. Shit Dogg Pound & Mack 10 made whole songs based on 1 fuckin bar from Cube's "Wrong Nigga to Fuck With": "It's the # 1 crew in the area/make a move for ya gat and i'll bury ya!" How about "Once again, it's on!" from "Nigga U Love To Hate". It is amazing how many of Cube's elements and lyrics have been used in songs since he did them.

Cube made hip hop edgy and "scary" to suburban America and he delivered his lyrics ( at the time, nobody was really spittin about shit like he did ), with such a fury and force, u really almost believed him "I get dough/but DON'T call me Doughboy/This ain't no fuckin motion picture..." His acting record speaks for itself: "Are We There Yet 1 & 2" not great movies, but blockbusters none the least. The "Friday" series is classic considered by ALL races. The "Barbershop" series was great, and very profitable as well, and even movies like "Tresspass", "Dangerous Ground", "Anaconda" and one other joint he did in like 95-96 were all box offices smashes. Need I even mention his CLASSIC performances in "Boyz In The Hood" & "Higher Learning"?

As I been listening to my Ipod on shuffle while writing this thread, already 3 different songs, 3 different artists have mentioned Ice Cube by name alone ( Hov, Em & C-Bo ). Ironic, huh? While me personally would still put Nas as my favorite ( therefore the best ) emcee, but again, Cube is the most accomplished, successful, influential rapper ever, and we will never see somebody like this ever again. Time to give it up for this dude.

ice cube is the greatest ever period...not arguing with u, just stating my opinion...yes he is the most successful artist/rapper of all time, and i doubt that'll ever change...4 certified SOLO classics is correct, with 2 group classics...that's 6 fucking classics, completely un-heard of :o

I agree (although i was far to young) even i could see how the sub-urban area of america must of responed to a lot of cube's lyrics, and not only that, but choice of album names and even the artwork included in the packaging

The Fridays are the shit, boys n da hood is the greatest hood movie of all time, that could be appreciated by an 18 year old gangsta, as well as a 55 year old successful man 
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

d-nice

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »
Being a huge 2pac fan as well, it is a toss up for me between him and Ice Cube. Definitely one of the all time greats. I can die a happy man now seeing Ice Cube live, Nas also. Easily you could make the argument Cube is the greatest west coast rapper of all time. Hell GOAT can be debated. The verdict is still out for me but he is definitely in my top 10 easily.

drakeshakenbake

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 03:58:27 AM »
I agree, Cube is the greatest. While i have a lot of respect for KRS-ONE, cube just has the whole package. I was at a party once, and this guy tried to tell me Cube did not write his own shit.. haha, drunk as i was, i nearly slapped the shit out of him  :P

I salute you Cube! 8)

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 04:00:42 AM »
Cube still doin his thang, he aint like he used to be but he still dope!!!

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 04:12:39 AM »
You tellin' the truth, man. Cube is one of the greatest and what he has accomplished is unmatchable
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Regime*Rida

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 05:00:54 AM »
Cube started that Gangsta Shit!! I grew up on cube! Man I even got a Lenchmob Tattoo on my arm 10 years ago!! Cant wait till August 24th I'll be going to my fist Ice Cube concert in Brisbane Australia!! and havin WC come down wit him is the biggest plus ever. He ain't been back here since 92! For me Cube will always be no. 1.

Peace
She started letting me and my boys hit together
Me and Pac hit the slot now it's out in the open
Didn't take long, to make her get it on, came on strong
And Thugs Get Lonely Too was our slogan - "TECH N9NE"

marcin1712

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 05:46:54 AM »
dON MEGA !!!!!!  :)

GunMaster G-9

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • click the ''Give Props'' link above
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 07:30:10 AM »
i appreciate ice cube  8) . . . how? i have original copies of all his albums and i bump them on the regular

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 07:44:22 AM »
Cube's legacy as one of the GOATs is set in stone. He created trends and did them better than people who copied those trends....HE  was the true blueprint. I smh when I see lists created and a rapper lke Jay-Z is consistently put ahead of Cube, its just unfathomable to me. Jay-Z's best album probably falls 4th-5th on Cubes totem pole, its insulting.

I remember people saying Cube slipped a little on Lethal Injection, that it was good but not like his previous albums. I started listening to it again a month ago and it blew me away, if that album dropped today it would be a certified classic X10. Ghetto Bird, You know how we do it, Down for whatever, What can I do, Really Doe, Bop Gun etc...the album only had 11 tracks but damm near all of them were classic. But the fact this album was called a dropoff showed me just how great Cube's discography is..cause that album was actually a dropoff, but still better than most artists best. Cube and KRS are interchangeable GOATs imo.

Westdog

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 01:29:36 PM »
Ice Cube is the best is fact.Pac & Cube r best rappers of all time
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

bad-n-fluenz supporter of the dangerous crew movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 08:40:42 PM »
ice cube's the man, laugh now cry later is bad ass cd

Westdog

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 05:46:23 AM »
ice cube's the man, laugh now cry later is bad ass cd

Nia! LNCL is real album good album

Bulldog - Your Not Gafflin Nobody

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 06:01:05 AM »
no argument for me, cube is the greatest of all time. good thread...sometimes i think people forget what the old cube was like.

Westdog

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 06:04:23 AM »
no argument for me, cube is the greatest of all time. good thread...sometimes i think people forget what the old cube was like.

I agree