Author Topic: Official ATL thread(Above the Law, Not Atlanta)  (Read 16620 times)

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
Re: Finally heard Black Mafia Life
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 11:34:38 AM »
yea i think dre would have ended up with the g funk sound but he copied bml for those exact samples.  i also i agree wit whoever said dre didnt diss them so that most people wouldn't have heard of them and they wouldnt listen to them like if he had dissed them they would investigate. good thread

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »
I am not saying that ATL didn't have that influence, and yes Straight Out Of Compton had a lot of East Coast influence (more of Public Enemy than Run-DMC & Beastie Boys, the Beasties influence is found more on NWA & The Posse).... but if you want to get technical, you can hear some early G-Funk on "Dopeman"... those high synths blasting after Cube's "Yo Dre! Kick In The Bass"...

But yes, after ATL came aboard the G-Funk attitude sharpened... Hell, Hutch is from a family with Soul/Funk/R&B roots!   
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
I am not saying that ATL didn't have that influence, and yes Straight Out Of Compton had a lot of East Coast influence (more of Public Enemy than Run-DMC & Beastie Boys, the Beasties influence is found more on NWA & The Posse).... but if you want to get technical, you can hear some early G-Funk on "Dopeman"... those high synths blasting after Cube's "Yo Dre! Kick In The Bass"...

But yes, after ATL came aboard the G-Funk attitude sharpened... Hell, Hutch is from a family with Soul/Funk/R&B roots!   
Those high synth sounds were were like Public enemy's rock fusion which is still black and white. The G-funk synth sounds are mutron sounds,Dx7 sounds and moog sounds, B-flatz or B-flat sounds of psychedelic colors of rainbow. The live instrumentation plays a huge part in the orchrestration of G-funk and p-funk.Parliament created the p-funk sound out of acid trips,The sound is a warped B-flat sound created around mutron mixing board alterations.

AboveTheLaw

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »
but if you want to get technical, you can hear some early G-Funk on "Dopeman"... those high synths blasting after Cube's "Yo Dre! Kick In The Bass"...

That was a sample/replayed element from 'Funky Worm' by the Ohio Players

Yeah, Gregory Hutchinson (Cold187um) also studied Jazz composition.

His uncle Willie Hutch (RIP) scored a few blaxxxploitation films. One of the songs called 'Brothers Gonna Work it Out' from the film titled 'The Mack' was sampled by Dre on the opening to 'Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat'. It should also be noted that ATL also sampled some dialog from that movie on their 'Vocally Pimpin' EP back in 1991/1992.

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 12:37:49 PM »
but if you want to get technical, you can hear some early G-Funk on "Dopeman"... those high synths blasting after Cube's "Yo Dre! Kick In The Bass"...

That was a sample/replayed element from 'Funky Worm' by the Ohio Players

Yeah, Gregory Hutchinson (Cold187um) also studied Jazz composition.

His uncle Willie Hutch (RIP) scored a few blaxxxploitation films. One of the songs called 'Brothers Gonna Work it Out' from the film titled 'The Mack' was sampled by Dre on the opening to 'Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat'. It should also be noted that ATL also sampled some dialog from that movie on their 'Vocally Pimpin' EP back in 1991/1992.
hutch plays the bass guitar fluently upside down because he plays left handed. hutch also plays the trumpet and keyboards or piano. Dre plays the Trap drums fluently and can mix or used to mix with,on the turntables with the best of them.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
It was a sample... but "everything" that is being discussed here are samples... Funkadelic/Parliament's Knee Deep & Spaceship, the Cameo sample for Ballin .....  etc.

Blu Lacez

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
Dre copyied the idea the sound and rap style concept, but the only difference with all of this is Dre is  better producer than hutch. Dre is a real producer who can take what you do and make it 1000 times better.
^^^
For Sure!!!
i Guess that's Sums it All Up!!
Dre Is the Man!!!

Blu!

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 12:53:36 PM »
It was a sample... but "everything" that is being discussed here are samples... Funkadelic/Parliament's Knee Deep & Spaceship, the Cameo sample for Ballin .....  etc.
Naw homie it wasn't a sample it was a innovative interploy.A interploy is when you play around the rytyhm and give it it's own life, a life other than the original version. George clinton and bootsy collins are nothing but clones of jimmy hendrick. You listen to bootsy you are lsitening to jimi hendrix, you hear funakdelic,you are listening to james brown. Aint nothing new under the sun and the innovators take the magic to the next level.George clinton pays homegae to james brown and jimmi hendrix. The debate here is that Dre didn't give hutch his props because it aint about who came up with the sound first or second. The principle was Dre didn't give the proper justice, he just acted like he invented the wheel by himself,the same way he acts with the N.W.A experience.Knee deep or never missing a beat was a idea concieved by 187um and was created to give the inspiration of interploys that were independent of any parliament record,cameo,funkadelic or whoever the funk was. The g-funk was to stand on it's own and from this everybody became sample free and played their own evrsions of funk.

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »
Dre copyied the idea the sound and rap style concept, but the only difference with all of this is Dre is  better producer than hutch. Dre is a real producer who can take what you do and make it 1000 times better.
^^^
For Sure!!!
i Guess that's Sums it All Up!!
Dre Is the Man!!!

Blu!

It doesn't sum it up not quite yet because Dre never gave hutch props and probably never will,so the sum has to come from somewhere else.

villain

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 12:55:43 PM »
dre has been the biggest part of westcoast rap, he is a true og, no one can deny that. look how many hits his name been on

eazy e, straight up the godfather of gangsta rap, he preety much set it off on the westcoast. look at the classic albums say Produced by Eric Wright on the back. he put it down in a major way and its sad no one will see where he could of taken hip hop into,

atl - not known but damn atl deserves there props along with other rappers like too short has well. they dropped bomb ass albums, were preety much like nwa, no radio play cus there singles were too hard to play alll around, they just made DOPE albums period.

seriously
Ruthless need to put out a Above the law greatest hits package along with all them old videos on dvd, everything from livin like hustlas up to uncle sams curse and kokanes funk album cus he was preety much atl

villain

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 12:59:36 PM »
dre dont talk to nobody, no public / mainstream, everything is on the down low, he just sticks to what he knows best, runnin aftermath and droppin hot beats.
no one knows what hes really thinkin about shit that happened in the past, everyone always talks about it, but him.

like fuck id love to know his feelings on hutch, about his reletionship with eazy, how he really  felt about his death (hes discussed it, but never in depth, i mean damn, e and dre was a team) his true feelings on suge knight, michelle, his son hood surgeon.
i hope when detox time rolls around, whenever the hell that will be, he drops an interview he hear or somwhere and these questions are asked
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:02:13 PM by villain »

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2007, 01:07:13 PM »
dre dont talk to nobody, no public / mainstream, everything is on the down low, he just sticks to what he knows best, runnin aftermath and droppin hot beats.
no one knows what hes really thinkin about shit that happened in the past, everyone always talks about it, but him.

like fuck id love to know his feelings on hutch, about his reletionship with eazy, how he really  felt about his death (hes discussed it, but never in depth, i mean damn, e and dre was a team) his true feelings on suge knight, michelle, his son hood surgeon.
i hope when detox time rolls around, whenever the hell that will be, he drops an interview he hear or somwhere and these questions are asked
He should have been gave up dap, that was damm near 20 years ago, somewhere in betewwn that time he should have said something. Whatever all this stuff is old anywayz, but at the same time he don't give up dap, he tries to say eazy was just a puppett in the studio. It don't matter tho,It will all pan out.

villain

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2007, 01:23:58 PM »
"eazy was a puppet"
meaning that he had to spend alot of time with e laying down verses over and over cus of his lack of expierience behind the mic

i always thought e was more the puppet master in the studio givin ideas, concepts for songs.

oh yea and i have another question kinda offtopic but oh well

In the loping pouch between thumb and forefinger, is a tatto. Itsa a rough circle-maybe an inch in diameter- surrounding what appear to be a couple of chinese characters shaded in dark green.  As he pulls out the ruthless parking lot one day in his gray Mercedes 600 SEL, I ask what the writting means. He brushes me off with a half hearted grin and turns to top of his hand out of view.  Whether the tatoo hides something deep or nothing at all, the hiding itself is typical of Eazy, who still likes to keep certain things away from bpulic crutiny. --Source 1994 The Source interview

not apart of this discussion but eazy had this tattoo of a devil sign or pentogram or somthin on his hand, i heard dre had the same tattoo and is now covered up buy flames? i know he gets ink work done

i think u can kinda see it in this pic on dre

and i read earlier about atl and cube
there is another incident that went down, its discussed in jerry hellers book Ruthless. a backstage fight at a concert with hutch and cube over comments made by cube.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:41:43 PM by villain »

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2007, 01:38:02 PM »
Naw homie it wasn't a sample it was a innovative interploy.A interploy is when you play around the rytyhm and give it it's own life, a life other than the original version. George clinton and bootsy collins are nothing but clones of jimmy hendrick. You listen to bootsy you are lsitening to jimi hendrix, you hear funakdelic,you are listening to james brown. Aint nothing new under the sun and the innovators take the magic to the next level.George clinton pays homegae to james brown and jimmi hendrix. The debate here is that Dre didn't give hutch his props because it aint about who came up with the sound first or second. The principle was Dre didn't give the proper justice, he just acted like he invented the wheel by himself,the same way he acts with the N.W.A experience.Knee deep or never missing a beat was a idea concieved by 187um and was created to give the inspiration of interploys that were independent of any parliament record,cameo,funkadelic or whoever the funk was. The g-funk was to stand on it's own and from this everybody became sample free and played their own evrsions of funk.

Sample... interlude... it's all pretty much the same because one can argue that they are making the sample itself have it's own life... but that is here are there... if the argument is about Dre not giving his props publically, then I'd say you are pretty much right, but like someone else said, Dre doesn't talk much...so I can't really say how he feels....

villain

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2007, 01:44:38 PM »
after reading dres bio by ronin ro and the jerry heller book recently makes you think, dre went through a whole lot of bullshit, he is alot more wise then he was in the time were all discussing. back then he was layin the smackdown on bitches, he was just notoriuos for gettin into trouble. now, you dont hear a peep