Author Topic: Cubs trade Izturis to Pirates for player to be named  (Read 80 times)

rik

Cubs trade Izturis to Pirates for player to be named
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:09:25 PM »
CHICAGO -- The Cubs traded backup shortstop Cesar Izturis and cash to Pittsburgh on Thursday in a deal that could free the Pirates to trade former All-Star Jack Wilson.

Wilson, Pittsburgh's starting shortstop since 2001, is the club's longest-tenured position player. He's also the Pirates' highest-paid player at $5.25 million this season and is due to make $6.5 million in 2008 and $7.25 million in 2009

With the Pirates well on their way to a 15th consecutive losing season, they could be looking to shed Wilson's salary as the July 31 deadline for trading without waivers approaches.

The Pirates already have former starting second baseman Jose Castillo as a backup infielder who plays infrequently, and there would be no reason for them to add Izturis without trading another starting infielder.

The 29-year-old Wilson, a .264 career hitter, has a .254 average with four homers and 26 RBIs this season. On Monday, he became involved in a dugout shouting match with pitching coach Jim Colborn after Wilson failed to catch a popup that left fielder Jason Bay probably would have caught.

The Pirates have lost six in a row since the All-Star game.

The 27-year-old Izturis is in the final year of his $9.9 million, three-year contract. There is a 2008 club option for $5.85 million that can be bought out for $300,000.

Izturis, an All-Star with the Dodgers in 2005 before his season was cut short by elbow surgery, joined the Cubs at the trading deadline last season when Chicago dealt Greg Maddux to Los Angeles.

In 65 games for the Cubs this season, Izturis was batting .246 with eight RBIs. His playing time had diminished after Ryan Theriot took over as the No. 1 shortstop.

"I just want to play every day and now I get an opportunity to go to Pittsburgh. I don't know the situation over there, but I'm going to miss this team," Izturis said.

"There are a lot of good people around here. Good team, but it's business. ... I have to give credit to the young guys like Theriot and [Mike] Fontenot, they bring energy for the team."

Izturis will be reunited with his former Dodgers manager Jim Tracy, who is now the Pirates' skipper.

"Good, especially with a manager that you played before with him and got your confidence. That's good," Izturis said.

Manager Lou Piniella said he initially penciled Izturis' name into the lineup for Thursday's game against the Giants before the trade was made.

"Cesar was a really good guy. He wasn't getting much playing time here," Piniella said. "In fairness to him, let him go somewhere where he can play."

The 27-year-old Izturis is in the final year of his contract.

"Theriot really took over the job," Piniella said. "There is nothing wrong with Izturis. Izturis is a good player."

The Cubs also purchased the contract of catcher Jake Fox from Double-A Tennessee. He can also play first, third and the outfield.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2942263

Jakubs

Re: Cubs trade Izturis to Pirates for player to be named
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:25:39 PM »
Nice trade by the Cubs. Izzy wasn't doing anything, and Theriot earned the starting spot. Keep an eye on the Cubs, they're making a run.
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

WestCoasta

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:35:15 PM »
it's a shame Izturis had to get hurt a few years ago

he was on the rise and woulda been an every year All-Star

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 06:02:47 PM »
15 consecutive losing season for the Pirates!!!!!! fuck thats terrible.