Author Topic: Newsweek Poll: 46% want reduced immigration of Muslims to America  (Read 793 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19874703/site/newsweek/?from=rss

Americans and Islam

By Brian Braiker

Updated: 3:11 p.m. ET July 20, 2007

July 20, 2007 - Americans are largely accepting of their fellow citizens who are Muslims, but remain worried about radicals inside the United States, according to a new NEWSWEEK Poll—the first the magazine has conducted on attitudes toward Islamic Americans. Forty percent of those surveyed believe Muslims in the United States are as loyal to the U.S. as they are to Islam. (Thirty-two percent believe American Muslims are less loyal to the U.S.) But close to half (46 percent) of Americans say this country allows too many immigrants to come here from Muslim countries.

A solid majority of Americans (63 percent) believe most Muslims in this country do not condone violence, and 40 percent tend to believe the Qur'an itself does not condone violence (28 percent feel it does). But 41 percent of Americans feel Muslim culture glorifies suicide.

Most Americans surveyed (52 percent) view Muslims who live here as more peaceable than those living outside the United States. (Only 7 percent think Muslims here are less peaceable.) Still, there is a high level of concern among Americans about Islamic radicals inside the United States. A majority of Americans report being either "somewhat" (38 percent) or "very worried" (16 percent) about radicals within the American Muslim community.

The concern over radicalism seems to translate into some support for FBI wiretapping of mosques. Roughly half (52 percent) of the poll’s respondents favor this kind of surveillance. The same number rejects the notion that Muslim Americans are unfairly singled out or profiled by law enforcement, while more than a third (38 percent) do think Muslims are unfairly targeted. Yet if a 9/11-style terrorist attack were to occur again, only 25 percent of Americans would support mass detentions of U.S. Muslims; a solid majority (60 percent) would oppose such detentions.

There are between 3 million and 6 million Muslims living in the United States. More than a third of adult Americans (36 percent) say they personally know a Muslim living in the United States. Fifty-two percent of those surveyed are aware that most Muslims in this country are immigrants; 19 percent believe most are converts born on U.S. soil. Nearly two thirds (64 percent) say they would have no objection to a son or daughter dating a Muslim, and slightly more (69 percent) think Muslim students should be allowed to wear headscarves in class (23 percent think they should not).

Americans are split on whether they would vote for a qualified Muslim for political office (45 percent would, and the same amount would not). Younger Americans tend to be more likely to vote for a Muslim candidate. More than half (57 percent) of Americans between the ages of 18 and 39 say they would cast their ballot for a qualified Muslim—a number that dips to 44 percent for the 40-59 crowd and drops to 32 percent among Americans 60 and older.

The NEWSWEEK Poll was conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International on July 11-12. Telephone interviews were conducted with 1,003 adults, age 18 and older; the overall margin of error is plus or minus 4 percentage points. The margin of error for questions asked only of Democrats and Democratic leaners is plus or minus 6 percentage points; for Republicans and GOP leaners, 7 percentage points.

Narrator

Re: Newsweek Poll: 46% want reduced immigration of Muslims to America
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 04:52:19 PM »
In other news, fifty right-wing devils like yourself lost their hands today after questioning my authori-TAY.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:00:54 AM »
Nothing really surprising about those numbers.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 12:17:19 AM »
Nothing surprising about the extent of Americans' ignorance.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

REGIME MOB 510

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:10:44 AM »
these redneck hicks are worst then retards.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 07:52:19 AM »

How is it ignorant to not want people who want to kill us move into our countries?  The fact that we allow so many Muslims to move to America as it is is really amazing and shows how open and tolerant we really are.

How many millions of Christians do Muslim countries open the countries up to?

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 08:04:24 AM »
Wasn't there like a survey done a lil while ago that showed crazy numbers of American Muslims who see nuthin' wrong with terrorism?

Not that I give a shit about anythang, but that's scary.

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "u gotta give respect to get respect"
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »
"I grew up on the chill-side, the no-big-deal-side, staying alive was no problem"
[J-Live]

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 10:44:44 AM »

How is it ignorant to not want people who want to kill us move into our countries?  The fact that we allow so many Muslims to move to America as it is is really amazing and shows how open and tolerant we really are.

How many millions of Christians do Muslim countries open the countries up to?

I was referring to this:

"A solid majority of Americans (63 percent) believe most Muslims in this country do not condone violence, and 40 percent tend to believe the Qur'an itself does not condone violence (28 percent feel it does). But 41 percent of Americans feel Muslim culture glorifies suicide.

Most Americans surveyed (52 percent) view Muslims who live here as more peaceable than those living outside the United States. (Only 7 percent think Muslims here are less peaceable.) Still, there is a high level of concern among Americans about Islamic radicals inside the United States. A majority of Americans report being either "somewhat" (38 percent) or "very worried" (16 percent) about radicals within the American Muslim community."

And like I said, it's not a surprise. Americans still believe there are WMDs in Iraq, they believe there was a link between al-Qaeda and Saddam, etc... so I'm not surprised to see this from the hicks.

As far as your response goes... I agree, this country does do a lot of good (but unfortunately does just as much bad)... and most Americans are good people... a lot of them are just too ignorant to know any better.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 10:47:21 AM »
And by the way, I take these and most other poll numbers with a grain of salt.

"There are lies, more lies, and then there are statistics"

LOL @ this fudgepacker

everlast1986

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 11:00:14 AM »
I'm not one to take polls like this seriously. People like Real American look at these and want to think its actually 46% of american citizens when it's really a percentage taken out of idiots that are obsessed with the news  and the people that are prejudice and are pro right wing show it off to people like its automatically going to change our mind about allowing muslims into the country AND THEY KEEP ON DOING IT even though the smart people tell them we don't give a shit ya know.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »

The republican senate committee concluded in it's findings from 1999 that the CIA were indeed funding and training islamic groups as well as the KLA to fight the serbian troops in Kosovo. Then this year will learn that the CIA is funding wahabi sunni groups to attack Iran but at the same time is then saying Iran are with Al Queda. I will say this for them Real American, they obviously have realised that you as well as many others must be completely brain dead. When the CIA trains and funds terrorist groups, you might want to keep your eye on the domestic terrorist runners (CIA) instead.

Narrator

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 05:04:43 PM »
Fuck the Muslims.  RUF is in the hiz-ouse now!  Fuck with us and we take your hands!

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »
sadly.you speak the truth

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »
I am still waiting for someone to point out to me how these poll questions show any ignorance.

If there is any ignorance, it is the 40% of Americans who actually think the Koran doesn't promote vioence. Talk about idiots.