Author Topic: Could someone explain C-N-N's "L.A. L.A" song to me....  (Read 381 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Could someone explain C-N-N's "L.A. L.A" song to me....
« on: July 21, 2007, 06:50:03 AM »
A few questions...

-Did this song come out before or after the Dogg Pound "New York, New York" song?

-If the song is called "L.A., L.A." then why the hell does the song have nothing to do with L.A?

-If it's supposedly a diss record then how come they don't diss any rappers in the song?

-Who is that that drops the verse that says, "I'm 25, still strong, study Islam"?  I like that line because it describes me.

-What is the song about anyway.. they are talking about everything from orthodox Islam (catching Jummah) to 5% Islam (Godbody this, Godbody that) to selling drugs, to being in prison, the lyrics are all over the place.

-What was being said about the song at the time it came out?  Was there any controversy surrounding it?

... by the way, I like the song.. I wasn't into the East Coast back in the day, so I never checked it out till recently.  I'm curious to hear more about this classic East Coast record.  Peace.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Elevz

Re: Could someone explain C-N-N's "L.A. L.A" song to me....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 07:37:44 AM »
A few questions...

-Did this song come out before or after the Dogg Pound "New York, New York" song?

-If the song is called "L.A., L.A." then why the hell does the song have nothing to do with L.A?

It was a response to "New York, New York". They basically bounced the Dogg Pound song right back in their faces. That's all it did.

-If it's supposedly a diss record then how come they don't diss any rappers in the song?

They were just showing how Tha Dogg Pound were talking out of their asses for calling NY fake.

-Who is that that drops the verse that says, "I'm 25, still strong, study Islam"?  I like that line because it describes me.

Tradegy Kadafi. You would like his music.

-What is the song about anyway.. they are talking about everything from orthodox Islam (catching Jummah) to 5% Islam (Godbody this, Godbody that) to selling drugs, to being in prison, the lyrics are all over the place.

-What was being said about the song at the time it came out?  Was there any controversy surrounding it?

Yeah, basically showing how 'real' they are, and it truly is one of the hardest hip-hop anthems to date. Guess what, it came out during the eastcoast westcoast feud, of course there was controversy surrounding it :D

... by the way, I like the song.. I wasn't into the East Coast back in the day, so I never checked it out till recently.  I'm curious to hear more about this classic East Coast record.  Peace.

Classic indeed. Props for knowing what's up.

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 07:54:22 AM »
props 11z, i was just gonna type the same ish.

but a coupla points, "im 25, still strong, study Islam" you realise he also references the Torrah in the same line, and that is the Jewish book right?

and how can you call it a classic (which it is) and then say "the lyrics are all over the place" make ya mind up.

anyways props for making the thread, aint listened to this song in ages.

herpes

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 02:17:16 PM »
heres the video for LA LA

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch/v/g-leauL2a1o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://youtube.com/watch/v/g-leauL2a1o</a>

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »
From what I remember CNN gave props to Tha Dogg Pound in their booklet for The War Report, kinda strange.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »
props 11z, i was just gonna type the same ish.

but a coupla points, "im 25, still strong, study Islam" you realise he also references the Torrah in the same line, and that is the Jewish book right?

and how can you call it a classic (which it is) and then say "the lyrics are all over the place" make ya mind up.

anyways props for making the thread, aint listened to this song in ages.

Well, him saying he reads the Torah isn't a big deal, because Muslims believe in all the revealed books from Prophets, the only thing we believe different is that we think some of it's content has been changed for political reasons.

And, just because the lyrics are "all over the place" it doesn't mean the song isn't dope.  That's their style, you know?  Like take somebody like Ghostface Killer for example, his lyrics don't make sense but he still has made a lot of hott joints.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 03:44:15 PM by Shakur Abdul-Latif's Definition Of Hip-Hop..by -Infinite- »

Real Nigga

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 03:55:58 PM »
The lyrics are all over the place because rap music is a culmination of everything around you, it's not religious propaganda no matter how much you want it to be. You seem to have a hard time understanding hip hop kid.

BLACK ROYALTY

Narrator

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 04:54:25 PM »
The song talks about how Bryan is a fag and how RUF is the movement.  Bow down to us!  Fuck with us and we take your hands, cracker!

Okka

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 03:44:45 AM »
From what I remember CNN gave props to Tha Dogg Pound in their booklet for The War Report, kinda strange.

They were beefin for some time, after that they've been givin each other props...

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 02:20:53 PM »
There was another version (OG?) out before The War Report dropped that was much better than the one on that album, both great Marley Marl productions though.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 03:41:38 PM »
I remember hearing this and they're just rappin about random shit. If this was supposed to be a response to NY NY, it wasn't a very good one.

Personally I thought it was weak when I heard it.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 03:47:58 PM »
I remember hearing this and they're just rappin about random shit. If this was supposed to be a response to NY NY, it wasn't a very good one.

Personally I thought it was weak when I heard it.

That's what I was trying to say.  That it almost seems like it came out before "New York, New York" because they don't really "respond" to anything, unless, like someone said above, that their response is just to show how gangsta/intelligent they are.

Regardless, I've been bumpin this song so much it's like the 90's all over again here.  I can't get over Tragedy Kadafi's verse.  I'm 25 years old right now, and whenever I hear him say "25 years old and still strong, the worlds rotten like the vien in my father's arm, I study Islam.....  Fuckin with the swift Arabic scarface, La Ilah Ilah Allah (there's no God but Allah)"... I'm really feelin Tragedy Kadafi!

The whole track is bangin.  If I can forget that it's supposed to be their idea of a reponse record.. then I definitely give it a 10! 

herpes

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 04:31:24 PM »
and ny ny wasnt really dissing NY either except in the hook and video.  Same thing with LA LA

MarshColin

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »
There was another version (OG?) out before The War Report dropped that was much better than the one on that album, both great Marley Marl productions though.

Yes I remember 2 versions as well. I had both back in what must have been like 98 or 99. If any of you guys got the other version please post it up. Thanks!

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 10:32:37 PM »
and ny ny wasnt really dissing NY either except in the hook and video.  Same thing with LA LA
lol exactly, that's what I was just about to post.