Author Topic: Going Off On Tanjints Vol.2: West coast music's purpose  (Read 1144 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: Going Off On Tanjints Vol.2: West coast music's purpose
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 01:59:52 PM »
Nah, it's cool to listen to whatever you want I'm just saying I'd raise an eye brow and possibly doubt an artists ability to entertain me if all they listened to was mainstream hip hop.

anyway, I'm not saying obscure shit. Living legends, Hiero, felt, atmosphere and shit like that? Not that obscure. at all.
It says something to me that most of the artists interviews that I see make no reference to artists such as that.
such artists ARE making noise, and ARE active. Meanwhile the artists I see interviewed on dubcnn are tip-toe-ing around dissing Lil Boosie and soulja boy...something is amiss, you know?

I think the artists that 'we' as in the dubcnn/dubcc community look to as far as the future of west coast hip hop, may not be that in touch with what's really cracking off with music these days and that's why this scene lacks success. Just a factor to think about is all I'm saying.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

SGV

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 02:09:54 PM »
Nah, it's cool to listen to whatever you want I'm just saying I'd raise an eye brow and possibly doubt an artists ability to entertain me if all they listened to was mainstream hip hop.

anyway, I'm not saying obscure shit. Living legends, Hiero, felt, atmosphere and shit like that? Not that obscure. at all.
It says something to me that most of the artists interviews that I see make no reference to artists such as that.
such artists ARE making noise, and ARE active. Meanwhile the artists I see interviewed on dubcnn are tip-toe-ing around dissing Lil Boosie and soulja boy...something is amiss, you know?

I think the artists that 'we' as in the dubcnn/dubcc community look to as far as the future of west coast hip hop, may not be that in touch with what's really cracking off with music these days and that's why this scene lacks success. Just a factor to think about is all I'm saying.

-T

A lot of Underground shit is plain tired. If you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times. Believe me. But see, even Living Legends and Hiero are rather obscure in the grand scheme of things. Atmosphere and shit like that is looked upon as corny by plenty of people, so I highly doubt dudes like Daz or W.C. aren't gonna be bumping that shit. But reality is, there isn't really a huge amount of great talent in the Underground anymore. It's been a while since I heard a strong Underground album. So they diss the Boosie's are Soulja Boy's because that makes them seem and feel more Hip Hop. That makes fans say "This dude is real, he knows whats up."

Like I said, the Underground shit I hear now is still the same Underground shit I was bumping damn near 10 years ago... You can't blame people for growing tired of the same old same.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 03:32:55 PM »
I guess I've been mislead/am mistaken about how poppin' cats like LL and Hiero and stuff are. I meet more and more people all the time that are into that stuff and less and less that are into mainstream stuff but I feel you about alot of underground.

Alot of it is produced poorly with ridiculously complex and obtuse lyrics.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

SGV

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »
I knew a gang of heads who were into Hiero and Living Legends and shit in High School, but as time went on, I got over that phase. Don't get me wrong, Living Legends and Hiero are two of the most known Underground collectives from the West, but in the grand scheme, they don't mean much today.