Author Topic: Who's Your Favorite Practitioner Of The 808: Old And New  (Read 249 times)

StevenQBosell

Who's Your Favorite Practitioner Of The 808: Old And New
« on: July 29, 2007, 08:36:53 AM »
Last night I was listening to some old Dre records - JJ Fad, DOC, Straight outta... and I kinda forgot how dope the 808 is.

Who were some of the best 808 themed producers?

Old and new would be appreciated.

Doesn't Lil' Jon use the fuck outta 808 these days?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:31:19 AM by StevenQBosell »

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
Re: Who's Your Favorite Practitioner Of The 808: Old And New
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »
I might loose karma over this but no bodies ever utilized the 808 the way manny fresh does/did.

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:44:18 AM »
I might loose karma over this but no bodies ever utilized the 808 the way manny fresh does/did.
was gonnna say the same thing

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 01:05:21 PM »
Old Dre and Mannie were definitely kings of it. Lil Jon actually used it dope as hell, he just overused his style and some of his songs became monotonous...but his tracks like "Oh na na na" "Play no games" and "B'tches ain't shit" sounded different from everything else he did, and they still used 808.

Beats by the pound were pretty dope with it too.

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 01:07:37 PM »
Mannie Fresh is a pretty dope producer indeed
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

StevenQBosell

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 04:28:29 PM »
Old Dre and Mannie were definitely kings of it. Lil Jon actually used it dope as hell, he just overused his style and some of his songs became monotonous...but his tracks like "Oh na na na" "Play no games" and "B'tches ain't shit" sounded different from everything else he did, and they still used 808.

I just remembered Beats By The Pound. I first really noticed them when Snoop defected and did "Still A G Thang"

Back in the mid 90's when I went to high school, there was rich Asian kid, who was just obsessed with P and No Limit. He smoked superchron, we had the same TV class, started hanging out.

That's when he put me up on Tru's Somebody's watching me, Bout It, all that early Silkk shit, and so forth.

Rick Rubin, for a time, was the master of the 808, all that Run DMC, LL Cool J, and Beastie Boys shit still bangs hard, something like 20 years later.

Al Bundy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 05:46:48 PM »

I just remembered Beats By The Pound. I first really noticed them when Snoop defected and did "Still A G Thang"

Back in the mid 90's when I went to high school, there was rich Asian kid, who was just obsessed with P and No Limit. He smoked superchron, we had the same TV class, started hanging out.

That's when he put me up on Tru's Somebody's watching me, Bout It, all that early Silkk shit, and so forth.

Rick Rubin, for a time, was the master of the 808, all that Run DMC, LL Cool J, and Beastie Boys shit still bangs hard, something like 20 years later.

Meech Wells did Still A G Thang

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 05:47:50 PM »
Damm, I didn't realize that Rick Rubin did all the Def Jam music in the 80's....beats like "It's like that" and "Peter Piper" are still ridiculous as hell, and stay gettin sampled.

StevenQBosell

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 08:47:31 PM »

Meech Wells did Still A G Thang

Sho nuff, just remembered as you posted

StevenQBosell

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 09:59:06 PM »
Litening to that 1st EPMD album, Sermon was sick on the 808