Author Topic: Proof that vinyl sound better than CD  (Read 482 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Proof that vinyl sound better than CD
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 09:34:05 AM »
I guess it just doesn't have the same thump with a CD...

AboveTheLaw

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
^^
I don't know for sure and wasn't referring to anything - I've just heard that when digitized, music loses these vibrations. If I remember correctly, DJ Quik talked about it in an interview (Scratch magazine, I think) before Trauma came out.

Yeah in that article on Scratch he was referring to harmonic saturation of the fundamental frequencies. He explains that these were the qualities of the song that you can actually sense and feel rather than just hearing, which makes his choice of hardware interesting because he wants to retain as much of that analog sound in the digital process. Computers can't capture that faithfully using just 1's and 0's.

Invincible

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 06:05:15 PM »
Hahaha, on the real though a lot of audiophiles don't even have a CD collection, they'll claim more than anyone else that vinyl is much smoother and more pleasing to the ear than any overly bright and sterilized CD of the same album.
its true though Vinyl is much more clearer than CD.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hw2bgTj2s-M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Hw2bgTj2s-M</a>

Thats quite a cool beat playing.

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 11:54:52 PM »
Yeah, you definitely got a clearer sound with the vinyl
ture, but i can't afford vynils and a 50 pack spindle of CD-R's is 15 dollars
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Chief

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 03:06:03 AM »
he obviously hasnt heard a vinyl in a cd player  ::)

AboveTheLaw

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »
he obviously hasnt heard a vinyl in a cd player  ::)

Haha, it was a pretty silly video, I know some real hard core audio dudes that would of murdered him for putting the stylus tip on that CD.

There's this one table that actually uses a a tray and laser beam to play vinyl records, think it's called the ELP, costs somewhere near $10,000.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 03:55:23 PM »
the payoff is about the same

with vynal you do pick up vibrations that the most advanced cd's don't. however vynal picks up a lot of undesired noise. these noises can be cut out with digital assistance refined.

also for turntable that could produce the same sound quality of a  regular cd player is more costly. a 200 dollar turntable gets you the same effect a 20 dollar cd player could. economically cd's are more cost effective.

digital audio is advancing every day so this argument is becoming more and more outdated.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

AboveTheLaw

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »

digital audio is advancing every day so this argument is becoming more and more outdated.

A $20.00 CD Player and $200.00 turntable are absolutely no comparison. A $20.00 CD Player can't possibly have good DACs and a Stanton or Numark plastic turntable is frowned upon from everyone except the myspace "producers" who've never had the age or luck to see what real equipment is.

In exactly what ways is digital audio advancing everyday? Admittedly, from the ease of on screen editing, low maintenance, the high capacity of recording space, and the avoidance of splicing blocks, not having to align tape heads or rewinding back and forth from tapes and avoiding the sometimes faulty vinyl pressings. But how has the sound of purely digital plugins and IC outboard gear measured up to the sound of their analog counterparts?

The oversampling argument has been put to rest. As CDs came to popularity, even people who casually listened to their own playback systems had liked CDs for their convenience and not having to cue up any tracks, but preferred their reel to reel decks and records if the argument was purely for how they sounded. (VINYL Records)

Mind you, although digital recording is more or less the standard now in several studios, the majority of all professional studio albums were and still are produced with some of the finest outboard analog gear, including 2 Inch Studer tape decks, SSL Boards, High quality A/D and D/A converters, and mastering quality analog amplifiers, EQs, Compressors and Peak Limiters. The role of any digital equipment at such a stage is to route all this gear together and organize it's work flow into the DAW for the hard disks to record, and to make PMCD's for the replication plants to mass produce.

But to assume that using purely digital equipment can sound anywhere near as good as what analog can bring is ridiculous. Look up some interviews with Dr. Dre and DJ Quik. Although from the West Coast, where the Hollywood industry continues to influence professional production values in all sound / film / video more than any other area (except for the Germans and Japanese) these two producers arguably have some of the best sounding albums out their for any artist. Read what they say regarding the recording process and which equipment they like to draw their signature high quality sounds from.

The argument that digital sound will improve because its technology is always changing is not always the best for audio. It gets better, but the cost of R&D and ultimately the end product to the users are incredibly expensive.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 05:09:16 PM by AboveTheLaw »