Poll

In the future, who's legacy will be stronger....Death Row or Aftermath?

Death Row, by far!
52 (74.3%)
Death Row, by a little!
10 (14.3%)
Nearly even...or different
5 (7.1%)
Aftermath, by a little!
0 (0%)
Aftermath, by far!!
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Who's legacy will be greater....Death Row or Aftermath?  (Read 734 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Who's legacy will be greater....Death Row or Aftermath?
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
In the future, when historians and younger fans look back into the 90's and 2000's of rap, what label do you think will be seen as being more of a powerhouse? Which one will be more talked about period, whether it's for positive or negative reasons?

According to Wiki...Aftermath albums in total have gone approximately 50+ times platinum in America, spanning in an eleven year period. Death Row's records have gone approximately 65+ times platinum in a 15 year period. As far as the accurate number of sales that each company made, I'd just estimate that you could add 5-10 million to the 50+ and 65+, since thsoe are just rough estimates as well.

Paul

Re: Who's legacy will be greater....Death Row or Aftermath?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »
death row by far, always controversy, at least 4 or 5 classic albums, at least, had near enough every major player signed to them, an amazing legacy

aftermath for me seems kinda boring

chronic 2001 and slim shady lp for me are the only classics, people seem to come and go and nothing ever drops
funkyfreshintheflesh

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:59:09 AM »
people seem to come and go and nothing ever drops

Interesting thing is, before I made this thread, I was actually going to make one asking if Aftermath was overrated as a company, because of the fact that 90% of the artists never come out...but when I went to see how many albums they sold, I said "oh.....nevermind....." and thought about Death Row's legacy in comparison.

It's All About 18

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:00:08 AM »
death row by far, always controversy, at least 4 or 5 classic albums, at least, had near enough every major player signed to them, an amazing legacy

aftermath for me seems kinda boring

chronic 2001 and slim shady lp for me are the only classics, people seem to come and go and nothing ever drops
Couldn't agree more

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »
Death Row easily, I mean just look at the quality of the albums that were getting released over there (except for their later stuff). Except for 2001, I don't think Aftermath has released a classic & even 2001 is just a west coast classic imo, it's not on the level of other CD's that are hailed classics by everyone. Plus the artists, most of them were all talented, unlike some of the Aftermath ones.

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 11:01:11 AM »
good thread.........i think it depends on what type of legacy were talking about.......obviously, in terms of being notorious, death row has that hands down.........i think aftermath will have more of a mainstream legacy that non hip hop fans will be familiar with.......but death row has so many classics affiliated with it, (pirmarily the chronic, doggystyle, and all eyes on me), that its hard for any label to say they will go down in history as being more influential to the culture in general, whether it be in a negative or positive way.......
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

BritneySpears

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 11:04:55 AM »
Apart from 2001, The Documentary and maybe GRODT I can't think of one album released on Aftermath that was worth the money. Death Row hadn't released one album that wasn't worth the money (not that I can think of at least).

Sanford - V. President of the Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The movement is Suckaa Free.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
Apart from 2001, The Documentary and maybe GRODT I can't think of one album released on Aftermath that was worth the money. Death Row hadn't released one album that wasn't worth the money (not that I can think of at least).

dont like EM?

Pick up 2 gats like Riley with a full 16 clip, on some sick shit like Lynch, while rippin a bitch's clit with beyonce's mouth on the tip of my dick.

Dangerous Crew Beeyatch!

$Eg2$

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 11:10:18 AM »
Death Row   8)

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 11:14:54 AM »
i think one thing that should be considered is what happens within the next couple years.......detox, bishop, new em shit........where as with every re releasing that suge does, all the raping of pac's legacy that he continues to commit.......its not exactly ending on a good note for death row and that does tarnish the legacy a bit, maybe not enough to sway judgement, but aftermath has many years ahead of it where as death row is pretty much RIP at this point........
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

BritneySpears

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:18:48 AM »

dont like EM?

Oh, I forgot about his first 2 Aftermath releases, but that was a long time ago though.

d-nice

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »
Depends on who you ask. If you ask Dre it would be Aftermath. DR never was fully his, so Suge whether you feel he is owed it or not, will get credit also for DR's success. Aftermath for the most part is all Dre. I think from a impact standpoint the short time DR was on top has not been matched. Maybe No Limit but other than that no. Aftermath has more long term success but at a slower pace as far as albums dropped. But the ones that do come out usually do well.

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:28:15 AM »
Death Row, by far and for several different reasons. I'll explain briefly:

1) They were the ones responsible for bringing West Coast rappers to the mainstream public. With success too.

2) Not only did they bring several rappers to a mainstream audience, they also managed to launch successful careers of some Death Row rappers. So they weren't one-hit-wonders. Death Row had an eye for talent.

3) Artists such as 2Pac and Snoop were partly responsible for helping blow up rap music overseas (I'm speaking for Europe now). I remember that California Love was one of the first "gangsta" rap songs that made a rather impressive impact in the charts around here. I discussed that in my thesis on hip-hop culture by the way. Granted, Pac & Snoop weren't the only ones. "Gangsta's Paradise" did very well around here, which also stimulated the popularity of rap here.

4) There's plenty more to add...

Lunatic

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »
Death Row BY FARRRR
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

wcsoldier

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »
Aftermath was an error made by Dre musical wise (don't care if Dre is making lots of money) coz he can't release the music he wants and barely can't (want ?) release music anyways ... DR by far