Poll

In the future, who's legacy will be stronger....Death Row or Aftermath?

Death Row, by far!
52 (74.3%)
Death Row, by a little!
10 (14.3%)
Nearly even...or different
5 (7.1%)
Aftermath, by a little!
0 (0%)
Aftermath, by far!!
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Who's legacy will be greater....Death Row or Aftermath?  (Read 732 times)

StevenQBosell

Re: Who's legacy will be greater....Death Row or Aftermath?
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2007, 10:02:23 AM »
1. Chronic
2. Doggystyle
3. Chronic 2001
4. All Eyez on me
5. Marshall Mathers LP
6. Dogg Food
7. Get Rich or die trying
8. Murder was the case
9. The Documentary
10. Slim Shady LP

Awesome, accurate, pretty unbiased list.

Mygla

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2007, 10:19:15 AM »
As far as "classics"....I'd say Death Row has Chronic, Doggystyle, and All Eyez on me as TRUE MAJOR classics, with Dogg food almost being at that level, but not quite, only because it didn't have the same overall impact to the entire nation. Murder was the case is a GREAT album, but I don't know if I could really call it classic with it being a soundtrack...because the variety of artists gives it an aural advantage, while it breaks up the continuity of the album itself on the other hand. I'd say Aftermath has one TRUE, MAJOR classic, which is Chronic 2001...and MMLP is closest at second.

So if I had to list albums from both companies from best to "worst", I'd probably say.....

1. Chronic
2. Doggystyle
3. Chronic 2001
4. All Eyez on me
5. Marshall Mathers LP
6. Dogg Food
7. Get Rich or die trying
8. Murder was the case
9. The Documentary
10. Slim Shady LP

And that list is with me being as unbiased as possible...because I like Dogg Food better than MMLP, and I like Murder was the case and possibly The Doc better than Get Rich..but when it comes to overall impact, radio play, and what's remembered by the entire nation and not just West Coast fans...I'd say that list is most accurate.

What about Makaveli?

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »
^^I was really going by the list of CDs that were listed right before me, which are the ones we hear mentioned as classics...but I do hear some say Makaveli was classic. I'd put it somewhere lower on the list, probably right before The Doc.

DeathrowIs4Life

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »
Dont gotta read the replies........ Deathrow Is 4 Life bitches

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 05:10:04 PM »
death row by far

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »
death row cuz all that sh*t was new when it was coming out...was unlike anything anyone heard before.

MarshColin

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2007, 06:51:15 PM »
i think one thing that should be considered is what happens within the next couple years.......detox, bishop, new em shit........where as with every re releasing that suge does, all the raping of pac's legacy that he continues to commit.......its not exactly ending on a good note for death row and that does tarnish the legacy a bit, maybe not enough to sway judgement, but aftermath has many years ahead of it where as death row is pretty much RIP at this point........

Suge is the one raping Pac's legacy? I mean I'm no fan of Suge, but he is not the one releasing all these bullshit remixed albums.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2007, 09:39:49 PM »
Both have great music up their sleaves and both have some dissapointments. Right now, Death Row probably has the upper hand... but perception may change with DETOX, Joell, Bishop and whatever else has potential there.

Notible Records:

Death Row:

The Chronic
Doggystyle
Murder Was The Case Soundtrack
Dogg Food
All Eyez on Me

Add:
Makaveli
Above The Rim Soundtrack
Danny Boy - Slip n Slide
<------ok thats a reach on my part but its a very solid record that I still play to this day.

Aftermath:

The Slim Shady LP
Chronic 2001
The Marshall Mathers LP
Truthfully Speaking<------------VERY far from classic
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
The Documentary

Ok, its narrowed down to ONE classic from Aftermath. I'll give you a possible 2 if you count the unreleased King T album. Its beyond reason that anyone could possibly consider ANY Eminem album a classic. I'm still waiting for him to put out a decent album. Yea the chicka chicka slim shady song was goofy and catchy and had a pretty good flow to it, but the album is garbage. Get Rich or Die Tryin? Classic? Get the fuck outta here. Documentary? You cant possibly be serious. Theres a couple good songs on that record at best.

west coast techniec

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2007, 11:02:55 PM »
Both have great music up their sleaves and both have some dissapointments. Right now, Death Row probably has the upper hand... but perception may change with DETOX, Joell, Bishop and whatever else has potential there.

Notible Records:

Death Row:

The Chronic
Doggystyle
Murder Was The Case Soundtrack
Dogg Food
All Eyez on Me

Add:
Makaveli
Above The Rim Soundtrack
Danny Boy - Slip n Slide
<------ok thats a reach on my part but its a very solid record that I still play to this day.

Aftermath:

The Slim Shady LP
Chronic 2001
The Marshall Mathers LP
Truthfully Speaking<------------VERY far from classic
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
The Documentary

Ok, its narrowed down to ONE classic from Aftermath. I'll give you a possible 2 if you count the unreleased King T album. Its beyond reason that anyone could possibly consider ANY Eminem album a classic. I'm still waiting for him to put out a decent album. Yea the chicka chicka slim shady song was goofy and catchy and had a pretty good flow to it, but the album is garbage. Get Rich or Die Tryin? Classic? Get the fuck outta here. Documentary? You cant possibly be serious. Theres a couple good songs on that record at best.

also add daz's RRGB that cd was dope as fuck also the dogg father although a few people don't like i have no idea why. And all of Eminem stuff is fucking garbage

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2007, 12:30:28 AM »
Death row by little!!!

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2007, 05:35:43 AM »
If we're talking about LEGACY then this isnt even close....legacy is about your mark on history, not how many album sales you had, or how long you were on top. Chronic, Doggystyle, AEOM, 7 Day, Tupac, Snoop, Dre, Suge...thats it right there, its not even close. Now if you want to talk about whose "success" is greater, thats different.

Invincible

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2007, 06:42:02 AM »
Definitely Death Row. How many posts do we get saying that we miss the DR days.

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2007, 07:06:05 AM »
Death Row had a much bigger impact on hiphop than Aftermath will ever have.