Author Topic: My phone > iPhone (Now: My phone = iPhone)  (Read 65905 times)

Matty

Re: My phone > iPhone
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2007, 05:48:42 PM »
all i know is that the official msn client on my 9100 was efficient as hell with data use and performed its key function - allowing me to talk to people. it was crap in terms of i couldn't do multiple convos or see smilies but that wasn't the point, it was still mobile pimping. the client with windows mobiles 6 seems to be waaay more advanced and does all the shit you could want it to for msn'ing. as it 'should' be included with my device of choice then i really don't see the need to look outside of that...for now........

Matty

« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2007, 06:09:01 PM »
nope i hardly ever used any of my mobiles devices for web browsing, although yeah the mobile IE aint great. i always thought theres only so much you can do with a certain size of screen though, for example the E90 is absolutely awesome for web browsing even on its default browser cause of the screen size and resolution. but ima deff give some different browsers like that mobile opera a try on my phones in the future...

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2007, 06:19:25 PM »
im off this week but i dont think the v1615 is coming out until october now, still waiting to loan one out and have a play. the new htc device still seems like the best overall 'smartphone' out there period.

Yeah,canīt wait myself,itīs a beast.
Itīs coming out on AT&T as 8925.
So for everyone thatīs looking for HTC 4550/Kaiser beware that most operators re-brand Window phones.

Hey Matty did you read this;
HTC To Produce Windows Mobile Smartphones for Sony Ericsson
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C13385/

This has got to be the biggest news of the day because it really involves two stories all rolled up into one. Commercial Times of Taiwan is reporting that HTC has received ODM orders from Sony Ericsson to produce Windows Mobile-based smartphones.

HTC is known to manufacture a variety of handsets under countless under other brands, including devices like the AT&T 8525, T-Mobile Dash, and i-mate KJAM. Only recently has the Taiwanese ODM starting making phones under its own banner. It is very surprising that Sony Ericsson would turn to HTC, however, seeing how they are direct competitors using competing operating systems. Up until now, Sony Ericsson smartphones have been powered by Symbian.

Sony Ericsson's first Windows Mobile-based smartphone is expected to ship in the second half of last year. It's also notable that, if true, this would be the first ODM order for HTC from a "first-tier handset vendor." The new handset is projected to account for 10-20% of HTC's total shipments for 2008.

.....and Matty we need you in this thread
since youīre the "expert" on Windows mobile or at least you got a lot of experince with them.

Cant wait to have the improved Windows Live functionality built into Windows Mobile 6 on a mobile device, gonna be real useful when i do more travelling next year.
The crappy version of MSN i was using on the QTEK 9100 was still great and used hardly any data when i used it heavily for a whole week.
Just have to see if vodafone removed all the live functionality like i mentioned before because the HTC S710 didn't have jack on it and checking all the Windows Mobile 6 documentation it seems like the classic, standard and pro versions all have this cool improved version of pocket msn on to start with. damn operators...

Yeah,the HTC S710 runs the standard version of Windows Mobile not the pro/pocket pc,
but canīt you download www.agilemessenger.com ?
I tried the free trial a couple of years ago on my old SE P900,it worked fine.
By the way,my friend that bought the QTEK 8300 hates his phone. He said itīs WAY to slow that he donīt bother using most of the features.
He used to have a SE P800,I showed him HTC P4550/Kaiser and told him the processor is faster (200 Mhz VS. 400Mhz).
I posted preview and review of the HTC P4450/Kaiser in a previous post with video and whole nine.

you can do but i'd always prefer an official client (im a dummy i know) and it seems like the one in windows mobile 6 is really good in terms of contact status alerting, multiple conversation management, smilies and all that kinda crap. i know the unofficial clients prolly do all that stuff as well but, you know 8)

I always tought the MSN client that came with Windows Mobile was the shit.
I guess I was wrong,hmmm wait I tried the one you got QTEK 9100 right?
I had that for a couple of weeks for test,from what I can remember the MSN client was pretty good.
What is cool about the www.agilemessenger.com is that it got Push To Talk and you can send photos.
Well,the new version of www.mig33.com can send photoīs as well,but www.agilemessenger.com had that shit years ago.
You know that the Touch UI comes with HTC P4550/Kaiser as well right? Thatīs dope.....

all i know is that the official msn client on my 9100 was efficient as hell with data use and performed its key function - allowing me to talk to people. it was crap in terms of i couldn't do multiple convos or see smilies but that wasn't the point, it was still mobile pimping. the client with windows mobiles 6 seems to be waaay more advanced and does all the shit you could want it to for msn'ing. as it 'should' be included with my device of choice then i really don't see the need to look outside of that...for now........

True,true,,, Iīm not really big on MSN or IM in general,I hardly use it.
So donīt really expect much from it,I activate my MSN when Iīm bored or testing out the clients thatīs available for cell phoneīs. I know that with the new Windows Live client for WM6 you can exchange files not only photoīs,thatīs cool.
Since you donīt install anything on your phone,please tell me you at least have installed Opera?
Internet Explorer sucks,pluss that Opera saves you a lot of data traffic with their small screen rendering technology.

nope i hardly ever used any of my mobiles devices for web browsing, although yeah the mobile IE aint great. i always thought theres only so much you can do with a certain size of screen though, for example the E90 is absolutely awesome for web browsing even on its default browser cause of the screen size and resolution. but ima deff give some different browsers like that mobile opera a try on my phones in the future...

I tell you,Opera is the shit,with RSS Feeds and everything.
Thatīs the first I install when I get a new phone,did you see that Motorola has upgraded the Z8?
They got a new one coming Z10;

Motorola Z10 landing in October
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/13/motorola-z10-landing-in-october/

Chalk another one up to the eagle-eyed readers who thrive on catching website slips, as this time we're seeing a (since removed) image of the not-yet-released Motorola Z10. Apparently, this sucka looks to be the followup to the Z8, and it was spotted hours ago on O2's "Coming Soon" page. Of course, the only things that are (tentatively) for sure are that this gem will tout a 3.2-megapixel camera, record video at 30fps and offer up 3G access, but considering that the Z10 could launch (officially, that is) next month, we don't have too much longer to wait for specifics.

It got same looks,but better specs....

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 10:55:54 PM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2007, 11:13:44 PM »
i've definitely started to warm to the n95 a little bit more, am comfortable selling them now as to be fair it is a stupidly high specced device i just always warn people about the horrible battery life. personally i can't stand nokia generally just based on the sheer amount of software issues that a lot of their devices have and the superior battery life/prefferable music player on the SE phones. i might of said before but the nokia 6110 navigator is the best nokia out there imo. i used it for a week and it might not have smart phone features like wi-fi or the 5mp camera but the satnav function is a breeze to use, has all the voice licensing included unlike the n95 where you gotta pay extra for that and is assisted gps too so uses your mobile signal as well as sateillites to triangulate your position and give you a faster gps fix. the symbian OS (i think its symbian again on this one) is actually super fast, faster than the n95. the battery life is decent too, even when using gps.
You can download a free GPS application from
www.amazegps.com/welcome.php (I posted some info,video and what not in a previous post).
The GPS fix is of course still slow,but at least you donīt have pay Nokia for a subscription.
I have invested in another battery,so now I have 3 batteryīs,the battery sucks big time and yeah Symbian has mad software issueīs.

the k850i drops in a couple of weeks which will pretty off kill of the n95 as the best camera phone but i guess it depends what features you want. personally i like to have a smaller pesonal mobile with good camera, great battery life and music playing facilities (which is currently the SE k810i) and also have a seperate pda device for all your data browsing smart phone media navigating needs for if and when you need that added functionality. the nokia 6110 made me reassess that slightly cause it is hella useful to have your gps along with all your normal phone stuff in one nice compact slider device. when you have to drive around to random places a lot its a damn handy feature to always have on you.

The SE K850 is dope,
but still a little sceptic about the new D-Pad/joystick.
But itīs small and as you say SE got good battery life and the A100 OS is stabble,get yourself a better GPS bluetooth reciever and download the free GPS application from www.amazegps.com/welcome.php (itīs JAVA based.)
I use a SE K750 as a extra phone,I must say itīs the best phone Iīve ever had.
To bad itīs a little out dated as features go,I would like a phone with that design,the A100 OS and N95 features,that would be a perfect phone for me. Right now the upcoming N82 looks like the best bet.

SonyEricsson K850

The Joystick;

Hereīs a review;
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-k850-en.shtml
Technical specifications;
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip3&zone=pp&pid=10868
Sony Ericsson K850 Preview
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_Lz8CHzCt8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/w_Lz8CHzCt8</a>

Free GPS JAVA application
http://www.amazegps.com/welcome.php

What is amAze?
amAze is a first of its kind free navigation and local search service. It is free to download and use and it contains wide coverage of maps including aerial photo in Europe, North America,Australia and parts of Asia and Africa.

You will a Bluetooth GPS antenna like this if your phone donīt have a build in GPS antenna

Globalsat BT-328 Bluetooth GPS
http://www.davespda.com/images/reviews/globalsat/globalsat02.jpg
     Globalsat provides an array of GPS solutions that connect to devices by laptops. The Globalsat BT-328 GPS is about the size of a good lighter. Size is extremely important when it comes to a Bluetooth unit, especially in my book. When you are already carrying a device around, you want your accessories to be as small as possible while still being functional. The good thing about a GPS unit is that it is simply an antenna, so, for the most part, smaller will not detract from the usability. The BT-328 is small enough to fit in the small pocket of my jeans. Actually, it fits rather perfectly in that pocket and technically it is possible to use it while in a pocket. The main shell of the BT-328 is white with a plastic black front and rubber black back. The front face of the device includes the power button, a hole for attaching a wrist strap, and on the right side, the three lights for showing the current status of the device. On the top of the device is the power port for recharging the unit. That is really all there is to the BT-328. Like most Bluetooth GPS units, the device it self it simple and to the point.
     When the GPS is turned on, the three LED’s show the current status of the device. The top light shows red when the device needs to be charged. The middle light shows green for its connection to the satellites. When the light is solid, the GPS is not connected. When the light is flashing, it has connected so satellites. This seems a little backward to me as usually device lights show solid when they are connected and flash while they are trying to connect. The bottom light is blue for Bluetooth connectivity. When the light is flashing slow it is disconnected. When the light is flashing fast it is connected. This is even more confusing then the GPS light because you have to try and count and see if it is about 3 seconds or 1 second. Being that these lights are the only real “user interface” of the device, I would have hoped for them to make a little more sense for easy identification of the functionality (though maybe I am the only one confused by the lighting).
     The Globalsat BT-328 GPS is a rather strong Bluetooth GPS unit including specifications that are on par or better then other GPS on the market. The unit supports 12-channels of parallel connections, which is pretty standard but not top of the line. For most people, 12-channels are enough, though more would increase the connectivity of the unit. For those that know about GPS internals, the chipset in the BT-328 is the SiRF GSC2. It supports a tracking sensitivity of -155dBm. This seems kind of low compared to other GPS units I have looked at, but it does really seem to hurt the performance of the unit. I found the BT-328 to have quick boot times after the initial connection and really quick reacquisition timing coming out of tunnels. For being such a small unit, the battery life is amazing. Rated at 1300 mAh and 16 hours, that is what you get. I have used the device for weeks without having to recharge. Only a cigarette lighter power adapter is included, so you can't charge the device in the house, though since most people will probably be using in the car, it makes sense.
     Included with the BT-328 is a piece of software for your Windows PC or Windows Mobile device. The software, GPS Info, does not do mapping, but makes it easy to check connectivity and the status of the GPS unit. You can see everything from the data being received by device to satellite locations and information about the current position including latitude and longitude. While you still need mapping software, especially with the MDA, it is a lot easy to launch GPS Info to check the connectivity of the GPS before running mapping software that may run slowly on the device. Most mapping programs do include something like GPS Info, but GPS Info is simple, quick, to the point, and very helpful.
     While I have noted some quarks, the unit is very useable with its long battery life and strong connectivity. The Globalsat BT-328 is a great low-powered Bluetooth GPS solution with pricing that is affordable. The BT-328 can be found for about $75, well under the $100 price tag that always deterred me from getting a Bluetooth GPS. Combine with the incredible battery life and good performance, I feel the BT-328 is a good GPS for anyone wanting to add active mapping functionality to their device.

For more on this product or to purchase the Globalsat BT-328, visit:
www.globalsat.com.tw

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:03:18 PM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2007, 06:21:57 AM »
i was watching tv and i spotted the nokia convention and they said the new n95 8gig is gonna have a bigger screen and a better battery

Matty

« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2007, 12:27:20 PM »
hmm that amaze thing has communication probs on my phone which is odd as i can get a gprs/3g connection perfectly and stream video and stuff normally. must be some kind of setting issue though...and opera mini is really exceptionally good as you said...much better than the standard browser on my phone and i'd say much better than vodafone's own website rendering engine on their 'mobile internet' portal too. very clean and tidy indeed, although web browsing is always gonna be limited on a small screen phone.

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2007, 02:08:31 PM »
i've definitely started to warm to the n95 a little bit more, am comfortable selling them now as to be fair it is a stupidly high specced device i just always warn people about the horrible battery life. personally i can't stand nokia generally just based on the sheer amount of software issues that a lot of their devices have and the superior battery life/prefferable music player on the SE phones. i might of said before but the nokia 6110 navigator is the best nokia out there imo. i used it for a week and it might not have smart phone features like wi-fi or the 5mp camera but the satnav function is a breeze to use, has all the voice licensing included unlike the n95 where you gotta pay extra for that and is assisted gps too so uses your mobile signal as well as sateillites to triangulate your position and give you a faster gps fix. the symbian OS (i think its symbian again on this one) is actually super fast, faster than the n95. the battery life is decent too, even when using gps.
You can download a free GPS application from
www.amazegps.com/welcome.php (I posted some info,video and what not in a previous post).
The GPS fix is of course still slow,but at least you donīt have pay Nokia for a subscription.
I have invested in another battery,so now I have 3 batteryīs,the battery sucks big time and yeah Symbian has mad software issueīs.

the k850i drops in a couple of weeks which will pretty off kill of the n95 as the best camera phone but i guess it depends what features you want. personally i like to have a smaller pesonal mobile with good camera, great battery life and music playing facilities (which is currently the SE k810i) and also have a seperate pda device for all your data browsing smart phone media navigating needs for if and when you need that added functionality. the nokia 6110 made me reassess that slightly cause it is hella useful to have your gps along with all your normal phone stuff in one nice compact slider device. when you have to drive around to random places a lot its a damn handy feature to always have on you.

The SE K850 is dope,
but still a little sceptic about the new D-Pad/joystick.
But itīs small and as you say SE got good battery life and the A100 OS is stabble,get yourself a better GPS bluetooth reciever and download the free GPS application from www.amazegps.com/welcome.php (itīs JAVA based.)
I use a SE K750 as a extra phone,I must say itīs the best phone Iīve ever had.
To bad itīs a little out dated as features go,I would like a phone with that design,the A100 OS and N95 features,that would be a perfect phone for me. Right now the upcoming N82 looks like the best bet.

SonyEricsson K850

The Joystick;

Hereīs a review;
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-k850-en.shtml
Technical specifications;
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip3&zone=pp&pid=10868
Sony Ericsson K850 Preview
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_Lz8CHzCt8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/w_Lz8CHzCt8</a>

Free GPS JAVA application

What is amAze?
amAze is a first of its kind free navigation and local search service. It is free to download and use and it contains wide coverage of maps including aerial photo in Europe, North America,Australia and parts of Asia and Africa.

You will a Bluetooth GPS antenna like this if your phone donīt have a build in GPS antenna

Globalsat BT-328 Bluetooth GPS
http://www.davespda.com/images/reviews/globalsat/globalsat02.jpg
     Globalsat provides an array of GPS solutions that connect to devices by laptops. The Globalsat BT-328 GPS is about the size of a good lighter. Size is extremely important when it comes to a Bluetooth unit, especially in my book. When you are already carrying a device around, you want your accessories to be as small as possible while still being functional. The good thing about a GPS unit is that it is simply an antenna, so, for the most part, smaller will not detract from the usability. The BT-328 is small enough to fit in the small pocket of my jeans. Actually, it fits rather perfectly in that pocket and technically it is possible to use it while in a pocket. The main shell of the BT-328 is white with a plastic black front and rubber black back. The front face of the device includes the power button, a hole for attaching a wrist strap, and on the right side, the three lights for showing the current status of the device. On the top of the device is the power port for recharging the unit. That is really all there is to the BT-328. Like most Bluetooth GPS units, the device it self it simple and to the point.
     When the GPS is turned on, the three LED’s show the current status of the device. The top light shows red when the device needs to be charged. The middle light shows green for its connection to the satellites. When the light is solid, the GPS is not connected. When the light is flashing, it has connected so satellites. This seems a little backward to me as usually device lights show solid when they are connected and flash while they are trying to connect. The bottom light is blue for Bluetooth connectivity. When the light is flashing slow it is disconnected. When the light is flashing fast it is connected. This is even more confusing then the GPS light because you have to try and count and see if it is about 3 seconds or 1 second. Being that these lights are the only real “user interface” of the device, I would have hoped for them to make a little more sense for easy identification of the functionality (though maybe I am the only one confused by the lighting).
     The Globalsat BT-328 GPS is a rather strong Bluetooth GPS unit including specifications that are on par or better then other GPS on the market. The unit supports 12-channels of parallel connections, which is pretty standard but not top of the line. For most people, 12-channels are enough, though more would increase the connectivity of the unit. For those that know about GPS internals, the chipset in the BT-328 is the SiRF GSC2. It supports a tracking sensitivity of -155dBm. This seems kind of low compared to other GPS units I have looked at, but it does really seem to hurt the performance of the unit. I found the BT-328 to have quick boot times after the initial connection and really quick reacquisition timing coming out of tunnels. For being such a small unit, the battery life is amazing. Rated at 1300 mAh and 16 hours, that is what you get. I have used the device for weeks without having to recharge. Only a cigarette lighter power adapter is included, so you can't charge the device in the house, though since most people will probably be using in the car, it makes sense.
     Included with the BT-328 is a piece of software for your Windows PC or Windows Mobile device. The software, GPS Info, does not do mapping, but makes it easy to check connectivity and the status of the GPS unit. You can see everything from the data being received by device to satellite locations and information about the current position including latitude and longitude. While you still need mapping software, especially with the MDA, it is a lot easy to launch GPS Info to check the connectivity of the GPS before running mapping software that may run slowly on the device. Most mapping programs do include something like GPS Info, but GPS Info is simple, quick, to the point, and very helpful.
     While I have noted some quarks, the unit is very useable with its long battery life and strong connectivity. The Globalsat BT-328 is a great low-powered Bluetooth GPS solution with pricing that is affordable. The BT-328 can be found for about $75, well under the $100 price tag that always deterred me from getting a Bluetooth GPS. Combine with the incredible battery life and good performance, I feel the BT-328 is a good GPS for anyone wanting to add active mapping functionality to their device.

For more on this product or to purchase the Globalsat BT-328, visit:
www.globalsat.com.tw

hmm that amaze thing has communication probs on my phone which is odd as i can get a gprs/3g connection perfectly and stream video and stuff normally. must be some kind of setting issue though...and opera mini is really exceptionally good as you said...much better than the standard browser on my phone and i'd say much better than vodafone's own website rendering engine on their 'mobile internet' portal too. very clean and tidy indeed, although web browsing is always gonna be limited on a small screen phone.

Try this address; www.amazegps.com/welcome.php .
Glad you liked the Opera Mini,turn off pictures you donīt need that,saves you a lot of data traffic. Just turn it on when you need it.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2007, 04:59:49 PM »
That SE k850i looks soo smoth. But I guess I have to try one before I buy it

kemizt

Matty

« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2007, 05:07:02 PM »
yeah i already got the app and everything downloaded for that amaze thing. from reading all the stuff on the website in the forums and stuff seems like a nice little app very efficient with data too, just when it loads up its having communication problems. might be my settings but they should all be perfect, will have to try it on some phones at work too to see, but no biggie as i'd never really want to be using my smaller phone for navigating anyhow, especially as my bluetooth thing is screwed. just gonna get a new pda with integrated reciever in the future like i been saying...

Matty

« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2007, 05:33:55 PM »
yeah its just a trial version thrown in though. its all good though i got a full version on my pc for windows mobile i can load onto mem card ;] that other navigating app looks real crude, i think i'd rather just use my bad sense of direction and following signs as opposed to something so basic...

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2007, 05:40:42 PM »
yeah i already got the app and everything downloaded for that amaze thing. from reading all the stuff on the website in the forums and stuff seems like a nice little app very efficient with data too, just when it loads up its having communication problems. might be my settings but they should all be perfect, will have to try it on some phones at work too to see, but no biggie as i'd never really want to be using my smaller phone for navigating anyhow, especially as my bluetooth thing is screwed. just gonna get a new pda with integrated reciever in the future like i been saying...

Another one you can try,this one I have some problems with,let me know if you get it to work.
Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!
http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/eng/index.php

yeah its just a trial version thrown in though. its all good though i got a full version on my pc for windows mobile i can load onto mem card ;] that other navigating app looks real crude, i think i'd rather just use my bad sense of direction and following signs as opposed to something so basic...

Ha,ha youīre right.
It got mad options to choose from,so when I have tried to get to work I have to do whole gang of settings before it starts searching for a GPS satelitte.
I have actually never seen any images from that application before today.(never used it myself since I canīt get it to work)

But if youīre going for the HTC P4550/Kaiser thereīs no need for any of these applications.
HTC TyTN II/P4550/Kaiser/AT & T 8925 Review Comes with Tom Tom 6 pre-installed
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SFgPAO8KkDQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SFgPAO8KkDQ</a>

HTC TyTN II TouchFLO Demo
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3kLdDBFbQ-A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3kLdDBFbQ-A</a>
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:15:28 PM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2007, 10:21:51 AM »
popular mechanics review of 7 "smartphones"

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/reviews/4220784.html

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2007, 06:12:58 AM »
popular mechanics review of 7 "smartphones"

Smartphone Lab Test: iPhone vs. 7 Top Wireless Wonders
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/reviews/4220784.html
How intelligent does a phone have to be to deserve the title of "smartphone"? Should it be able to retrieve your e-mail? Probably, but not necessarily. Should a smartphone take high-resolution pictures, and play music and movies on the go? Many do-but then again, some don't. "Smartphone" is a nebulous term that is as much marketing spin as it is a distinct category of mobile phone.

Nevertheless, smartphones in one form or another have been around for over a decade, bringing e-mail and productivity software to anyone busy enough to carry their office around in a pocket wherever they go. In recent years, companies such as Palm, Research In Motion (maker of the ubiquitous BlackBerry) and Microsoft (which created the Windows Mobile operating system that works on dozens of third-party phones) have created cheaper devices with more entertainment functionality built in to attract nonbusiness users. The current generation of smartphones is as much about music, movies and multi-mega-pixel photos as it is about e-mail and spreadsheets.

But the slow evolution of smartphones from business tool to cool got a turbo boost recently because of a single new entry in the category. That machine is, of course, Apple's iPhone, and its revolutionary capabilities (click here for video) include everything from Google mapping to weather widgets to graphically displayed voice mail.

One of the common observations about the iPhone since its launch in June is that it wouldn't have seemed so innovative if it weren't for the fact that other smartphones are so frustratingly difficult to use. Anecdotally, we at PM can confirm this, as we review dozens of different phones each year. But until now, we had never tested smartphones head to head. Nor had we ever had such a ballyhooed "ringer" (pardon pun) as the iPhone to put the category in perspective. So immediately after the iPhone's June 29 launch date, we got to work on a showdown between the smartphone wunderkind and seven competing devices. Our selection included phones from all four major cellular providers (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless) as well as one startup (Helio, which actually runs on Sprint's network). For good measure, we threw in one unlocked Nokia smartphone that runs on either AT&T or T-Mobile.

The main goal of our test was to assess the functionality and ease of use of each device. So we asked seven people who had little to no experience with smartphones to analyze our test devices alongside PM's experts. Our testers evaluated photos from each phone's digital camera, walked around with the devices in their pockets to deliver a "comfort" rating and then sat for a series of grueling time trials for the various functions of each phone. With no practice and no user's manual, testers tried to make a call, send an e-mail, take a photo, play a song and load a Web page on each phone.

Stopwatches don't lie. Apple's intuitive interface guided our testers to songs, photos and Web pages and to most other multimedia destinations in less than half the time of the nearest competitors. E-mail was a different story. The iPhone came in third after Samsung's BlackJack and Palm's Treo. Surprisingly, the photos from the iPhone's 2-megapixel camera came in dead last in our blind evaluation, because of a lack of white balance that gave interior photos a blue cast. Photos from the Nokia N95's 5-megapixel camera rivaled many point-and-shoot stand-alone cameras.

Still, when price was considered, choosing the smartest phone for the money became a close call. Testers liked the Samsung BlackJack and Apple iPhone best overall, with RIM's BlackBerry and Palm's Treo tied for a close second. It turns out smartness comes in all shapes and sizes.

Well,that test doesnīt say anything new or what we  already don't agree on,right?;
One of the common observations about the iPhone since its launch in June is that it wouldn't have seemed so innovative if it weren't for the fact that other smartphones are so frustratingly difficult to use.

To sum the review up;

Anyway fuck hype,buy whatever suits your needs.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:05:37 AM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2007, 11:13:37 PM »
Two new IM clients;
QuickIM: mobile instant messaging anywhere!
http://quickim.com/index.html

QuickIM instant messenger software allows you to connect to public MSN networks and chat with friends from anywhere you are. QuickIM comes with many advanced features, and best of all, all your chat messages are directly sent to MSN as opposed to the gateway model used by many other suppliers.
http://quickim.com/index.html

Mobisophy
http://www.mobisophy.com/

Mobisophy Technologies Inc. is an innovative mobile application development company focused on call management,instant messaging, sound and multimedia processing for mobile devices. One product IVCM turn the smartphone into not only an all-in-one call control management system, but also a "Personal Interactive
Playback Assistant". Another product multimedia instant messaging UltraIM empowers you to share your images, music and files in your phone with other friends using instant messenger on PC very easily!
http://www.mobisophy.com/

Widgets for JAVA phones (all phones exept Iphone);
widsets
https://www.widsets.com/index

https://www.widsets.com/index

Have yet to try these new applications myself,so feel free to test them and leave a review/feedback.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:23:31 AM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2007, 07:11:40 AM »
my joystick broke on my n73 so i need to buy a new joystick module