Author Topic: Reports: Kanye Outselling 50 Cent By 2 to 1  (Read 493 times)

Elano

Reports: Kanye Outselling 50 Cent By 2 to 1
« on: September 12, 2007, 01:04:08 PM »
The race for the top of the pop chart started yesterday (September 11) when highly anticipated albums by rappers 50 Cent and Kanye West hit stores.

According to early sales reports, Kanye West's Island Def Jam album Graduation is on pace to sell over 750,000 copies the first week in stores, while 50 Cent's Shady/Aftermath/Interscope album Curtis is expected to move around 550,000 units. [

West's Graduation is expected to debut at the top of the Billboard Top 200 charts next week, while Curtis will battle for the #2 spot with country music star Kenny Chesney.

Chesney's new album Just Who I Am: Poets and Pirates is expected to move over 500,000 units and the album could possibly push 50's album to the #3 position on the chart next week.

West's Graduation is expected to debut at the top of the Billboard Top 200 charts next week, while Curtis will battle for the #2 spot with country music star Kenny Chesney.

Chesney's new album Just Who I Am: Poets and Pirates is expected to move over 500,000 units and the album could possibly push 50's album to the #3 position on the chart next week.

A number of retail outlets have said that West's Graduation is outselling 50 Cent's Curtis by at least 2 to 1.

In related news, West is dominating YouTube's charts.

The rapper's Strong American Schools' ED in '08 education reform Public Service Announcement (PSA) was one of the top 20 most viewed YouTube videos last week, garnering over 130,00 viewers.

50 Cent also tapped YouTube while promoting Curtis.

50, along with Common and Polow Da Don recently named San Francisco rapper Conceit the winner of the YouTube On the Rise rap competition.

Conceit will record a professional single for G-Unit/Interscope Records, a $10,000 Guitar Center Shopping Spree, a Boss BR-1600 Digita Multitrack Recorder and a Roland MV-8800 Production Studio.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Reports: Kanye Outselling 50 Cent By 2 to 1
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:06:40 PM »
It would be funny as fuck, to see 50 come at number 3.

d-nice

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 01:10:46 PM »
It would be funny as fuck, to see 50 come at number 3.

Yeah I can't wait to see what he would say about that. To his defense, Interscope has fucked up the promotion on this album.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
Def Jam has done a way better job but Interscope never did shit before too. 50 always had to generate its own buzz and like I said, back in May, the push back was the biggest mistake he has made in his career.

Push back = flop

d-nice

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:24:01 PM »
Def Jam has done a way better job but Interscope never did shit before too. 50 always had to generate its own buzz and like I said, back in May, the push back was the biggest mistake he has made in his career.

Push back = flop

That, leaking the Robin Thicke single, etc. You would think 50 would have more creative control or input on how to handle the album and the direction it goes. Guess not.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 01:30:19 PM »
^ thats not his fault. Interscope can't expect him to do EVERYTHING

That would be crazy if 50 came in 3rd.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

d-nice

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »
^ thats not his fault. Interscope can't expect him to do EVERYTHING

That would be crazy if 50 came in 3rd.

I'm not saying that it is. If anything Interscope should give 50 more control over his projects. Especially with the selection of singles.

OchoCinco

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 02:00:59 PM »
u guys blame it on the poush back and marketing......i blame it on lack of good music.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 02:28:03 PM »
"Billboard has learned that today's SoundScan Building Chart indicates first-day sales of 437,000 for West's "Graduation," 310,000 for 50 Cent's "Curtis" and 107,000 for Chesney's "Just Who I Am: Poets and Pirates." The Building Charts offer an indication of how races shape up each week for SoundScan's final charts, which post projected national sales each Wednesday morning, extrapolated from a panel of merchants that represents more than 90% of the U.S. music market."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003639442
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 02:32:25 PM »
I can't see 50 getting that number one spot unless he sets up a huge publicity stunt this week or something.

I actually copped both albums. The whole 50 vs. Kanye thing was smart for both sides, in my opinion.

d-nice

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 02:34:36 PM »
"Billboard has learned that today's SoundScan Building Chart indicates first-day sales of 437,000 for West's "Graduation," 310,000 for 50 Cent's "Curtis" and 107,000 for Chesney's "Just Who I Am: Poets and Pirates." The Building Charts offer an indication of how races shape up each week for SoundScan's final charts, which post projected national sales each Wednesday morning, extrapolated from a panel of merchants that represents more than 90% of the U.S. music market."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003639442

GOD DAMN. Kanye did some damage yesterday. Almost went gold.

wcsoldier

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
GO WEST YOUNG MAN   

Kanye’s Opening Week of 800k+ Will Be Biggest in Two Years, 50 Cent at 600k, Kenny Chesney 450k

September 12, 2007

School may have just started, but Kanye West’s Graduation has come just in time for the beleaguered music biz.
Following one of the worst weeks in the history of album sales comes one of the liveliest, and boy was it needed.

Thanks to a record-shattering first day at iTunes and traditional retail (where it reportedly sold more than 435k), IDJ artist West will debut at #1 on next Tuesday’s HITS Top 50 Album Chart, easily surpassing 800k in sales.

That would more than top Linkin Park’s previous one-week high of 625k set in May and Rascal Flatts’ 2006 high of 722k. In fact, it would be the biggest sales debut since West’s last album Late Registration bowed in August 2005 with 860k.

Shady/Aftermath/Interscope rapper 50 Cent, who has loudly declared he’d retire if West’s album sold more than his, better start boning up on his golf game, because Curtis will land at #2 with a still-impressive 600k, plus or minus.

Kenny Chesney will have to settle for third place with his new album Just Who I Am: Poets and Pirates on SBMG Nashville, which will bow at #3 with around 450k.

The only other album of note to hit retail is the latest edition of the Gray’s Anatomy soundtrack from Disney's Hollywood Records.

The market was down a little less than 4% vs last week, down about 23% vs same week last year and now down 14.5% year-to-date.

From Hitsdailydouble...

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »
everyone get out there and buy that country dudes cd... haha

Narrator

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
I think it really just comes down to the fact that Kanye's got the hotter single right now, whereas 50 has had six which were all unsuccessful by his standards.  Granted, 50's also pissed off a lot of the heads, but that wouldn't be a factor for the white girls if he had a hot single, and he just...doesn't.

Lunatic

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 05:34:02 PM »
I think it really just comes down to the fact that Kanye's got the hotter single right now, whereas 50 has had six which were all unsuccessful by his standards.  Granted, 50's also pissed off a lot of the heads, but that wouldn't be a factor for the white girls if he had a hot single, and he just...doesn't.
that would make the most sense, but then how do you explain T.I.'s platinum album without a big single?? Not trying to be an asshole, just curious...
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com