Author Topic: 50 Cent Responds To SoundScan Loss, "This Marks A Great Moment For Hip-Hop Music  (Read 545 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
 50 Cent recently released a statement in response to his loss in the chart race against Kanye West.

As SOHH reported earlier, West's Graduation debuted at No.1 on the Billboard 200 by shifting 957,000 copies discs. 50's Curtis came in at No. 2 selling 691,000 copies.

Prior to the release of their albums last week, 50 toldSOHH that he would retire if he was outsold by Kanye. On the eve of the Nielsen SoundScan figures, the G-Unit boss would claim that Kanye's record label, Def Jam, manipulated the sales.

50 did not address his retirement vow or accusations in his conciliatory statement.

"I am very excited to have participated in one of the biggest album release weeks in the last two years," 50 told the Associated Press. "Collectively, we have sold hundreds of thousands of units in our debut week. This marks a great moment for hip-hop music, one that will go down in history."

Kanye reportedly celebrated his victory at GQ's 50th anniversary party yesterday (September 18) where he was congratulated by Beyonce, Jay-Z and Sean 'Diddy' Combs. He performed his latest single "Good Life" and talked about his victory.

"To be a champion, you've got to take out a champion," Ye said. "It feels overwhelming. Everyone is coming up to me and telling me how proud they are of me."

Graduation has now become the largest selling CD since 50 Cent's last album, The Massacre; opened with 1.1 million copies in it's first week in March 2005. Kanye's sophomore release, Late Registration, released in August of 2005, was the last album to surpass 800,000 copies in first week's sales, when it scanned 860,000 CDs.

Kanye claims that the quality of his music and his fans loyal support is the reasons why he surpassed 50 in sales

"My music is really inspirational and I really made it for the people," he explained. "I really understood that in this Internet age people are their own superstars ... the best bet that we had was to make a soundtrack to their own lives."

"With all the negativity that the press tries to put on me, this perception that they try to create of me being a really bad person - for so many fans to go out and say, 'We still want to buy Kanye's album,' means a lot to me," he continued. "This is a really pivotal moment for me emotionally."

Jay-Z, who collabaoted with 50 Cent on the remix to his single "I Get Money", revealed that the G-Unit honcho's setback will benefit him in the long run.

"The worst thing about success is it makes you complacent," Hov explained. " I think when you face any type of adversity it makes you dig deep ... everyone goes through it, all the greats go through it. In his music, he hadn't gone through any type of adversity. He'll come back and make great music."

Lunatic

good for 50 actually saying something smart for a change
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I dont think 50 is a dumb guy at all, you dont go straight to the top like he did for sayng dumb things. I heard he got his deal witj Jammaster J by huslting to the max. With that said i think he does say stuypid shit sometimes to entertain people and/or because he's cocky.

Blu Lacez

yeah!!!

twas a No-Brainer,Kanye was Def gon OutSell Fiddy!!

Fiddy just had to act like fiddy,once that was Over,He Accepted defeat as a Man!!

50 did not address his retirement vow or accusations in his conciliatory statement.

"I am very excited to have participated in one of the biggest album release weeks in the last two years," 50 told the Associated Press. "Collectively, we have sold hundreds of thousands of units in our debut week. This marks a great moment for hip-hop music, one that will go down in history."

^^
Dope & On Point!

Narrator

"The worst thing about success is it makes you complacent," Hov explained. " I think when you face any type of adversity it makes you dig deep ... everyone goes through it, all the greats go through it. In his music, he hadn't gone through any type of adversity. He'll come back and make great music."

And that, right there, is some real shit.  Truer words have never been spoken, even coming from the Seal of the Prophets himself.

d-nice

It seemed to me like 50 had a hard time promoting a product he himself did not believe is top notch. You could see it in interviews. Yeah I Get Money caught on with alot of people but alot of the other singles did not and I even copped it and felt it was rushed so for him to have 700k people buy THIS album 1st week is not bad. Not to his standards, but look at the album.

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
Surprising and refreshing to see 50 actually be respectful with Kanye beating him. I mean 700K is still more than I thought he would do, so he hardly flopped. I think he'll hit 2 mill and in this day and age, thats pretty good.

everlast1986

good thing he didn't throw anymore plasma tvs around

GangstaBoogy

Do you realize...that you are a champion?  ;D

That's gotta taste like ass in 50's mouth. He released like 5 singles before the album even came out and still lost.

Kanye = G-Unit repellent (remember the Yayo vs Kanye thing lol)
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
With today's album sales what he sold the first week is still pretty damn good. Besides everyone had " down" albums in teir career or albums that people thought were sub par

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: 50 Cent Responds To SoundScan Loss, "This Marks A Great Moment For Hip-Hop M
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 02:20:19 PM »

kemizt

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
With today's album sales what he sold the first week is still pretty damn good. Besides everyone had " down" albums in teir career or albums that people thought were sub par

The reason why 50 is getting this thrown in his face is cause of all the talkin he was doin...you talk all that shit, you gotta deal with the repurcussions. If dude was humble about goin up against Kanye, we would be talkin about how both 50 and Kanye had huge weeks.

d-nice

The reason why 50 is getting this thrown in his face is cause of all the talkin he was doin...you talk all that shit, you gotta deal with the repurcussions. If dude was humble about goin up against Kanye, we would be talkin about how both 50 and Kanye had huge weeks.

PREACH. No one feels sorry for 50 OR G-Unit when they brag about their sales and others and they fall short. Actually most laugh and point.

MIAMI4LIFE

it will be interesting to see this weeks sales, I remember Jay-z did about the same amount as 50 last year and then couldn't hit 200k his 2nd week, when Snoop did 800k with Doggystyle in 1993 he did over 350k his 2nd week so albums averaged a little more than 50% dropoff  then, now they do like 75%. As for 50 he did sell an amazing amount considering his singles were not hitting like they used to but I think the beef actually helped him as well as Kanye

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: 50 Cent Responds To SoundScan Loss, "This Marks A Great Moment For Hip-Hop M
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 03:31:23 PM »

And that, right there, is some real shit.  Truer words have never been spoken, even coming from the Seal of the Prophets himself.

a wise man sees failure as progress, a fool divorces his knowledge and misses the logic, and loses his soul in the process
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin